Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #452 of 3,234
That makes sense.

I recently received and installed a set of 4 matched Tung Sol platinum tubes. They have been burned in for at least 50 hours. I haven't tried a/b with the stock tubes, but what I have noticed(in limited listening) is the JFET stage has a more pronounced, warmer and lively midrange/vocal section. The Sols sound lifeless by comparison (in the midrange). Normally I like a laid back midrange, but not here.

I need more time listening, and maybe the tubes need to break in more, but anyone else have a similar experience with these tubes?

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #453 of 3,234
I recently received and installed a set of 4 matched Tung Sol platinum tubes. They have been burned in for at least 50 hours. I haven't tried a/b with the stock tubes, but what I have noticed(in limited listening) is the JFET stage has a more pronounced, warmer and lively midrange/vocal section. The Sols sound lifeless by comparison (in the midrange). Normally I like a laid back midrange, but not here.

I need more time listening, and maybe the tubes need to break in more, but anyone else have a similar experience with these tubes?

Getting back home and having some more time to listen, my above opinion is no longer valid. Although there is still a small level of a slightly warmer midrange, overall I like the sound of the Tung Sols better. Extended highs and a more open soundstage, among other things I need more time to pinpoint. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #454 of 3,234
Howdy.  I'm planning to move forward with the Freya once the Vidar is officially out.  Other than the tubes always having to be inserted/engaged even when using the Freya in a non-tube mode, are there any other annoyances/showstoppers from this group's experience over the past few months?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #455 of 3,234
  Howdy.  I'm planning to move forward with the Freya once the Vidar is officially out.  Other than the tubes always having to be inserted/engaged even when using the Freya in a non-tube mode, are there any other annoyances/showstoppers from this group's experience over the past few months?

In fact, the tubes do NOT have to be inserted to use Freya in pure passive or JFET buffer mode.  It works just fine as a pure solid state preamp.  I've used it with all 4 tubes removed.  Works just fine.  It IS true that if the tubes are installed, they will be "in use" whether or not you are actually listening in tube-mode.

The only annoyance I've experienced (not a show stopper) is that it isn't possible to switch modes and keep the mute engaged.  Going from JFET to the much higher gain tube mode requires Freya to be un-muted.  This can result in some surprises unless you remember to first turn down the volume.   

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #456 of 3,234

In fact, the tubes do NOT have to be inserted to use Freya in pure passive or JFET buffer mode.  It works just fine as a pure solid state preamp.  I've used it with all 4 tubes removed.  Works just fine.  It IS true that if the tubes are installed, they will be "in use" whether or not you are actually listening in tube-mode.

The only annoyance I've experienced (not a show stopper) is that it isn't possible to switch modes and keep the mute engaged.  Going from JFET to the much higher gain tube mode requires Freya to be un-muted.  This can result in some surprises unless you remember to first turn down the volume.   

Thank you for the clarification about the tubes not having to be inserted.  Debating getting 4 socket savers to reduce the wear/tear and your comment may make that decision final although I'm a less is more kind of guy.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #457 of 3,234
@purehifi192 

Socket savers seem a good idea.  It does bother me to be burning tubes unnecessarily - especially as much of the time I am completely happy with sound in JFET-mode.  BUT, for reasons that are mysterious and/or irrational, every once in a while - whether due to quality of the recording or my mental state (energized, alert or tired) or both, tube mode will just seem better so it's nice to have them plugged in and ready to go on those occasions.  I also use tubes as the default mode for listening to LPs, but that's a little more predictable so pulling them when not playing records would be possible but for the earlier comment.

A couple other quirks I've noticed:
1) in mute, I can still hear music through the speakers but very faintly.  
2) ALSO - in mute I hear some faint background "warbling" (the only way I know to describe it).  I think it's associated with the external hard drive USB cable to the Aries Mini.  Noise goes away when I unplug power to that.  The very odd thing about this noise is I only hear it in MUTE mode.  With sound on in passive or JFET and no music playing things are dead quiet.  Talking ear near speaker and volume up.  With tubes I do hear some occasional faint rustling...typical tube-noise stuff.  It's not all the time or loud, either.  I don't think I hear the warbling in tube mode but need to double check about that.  Anyway, this is all in the interest of "full disclosure".  I remain VERY pleased with the sound having Freya in the chain.  

If you get one, I hope you are happy with it.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #458 of 3,234
That's awesome.  Thank you.  Interesting about the "warbling".  Is it a mechanical HD or SSD?

I'm planning to connect Sonos Connect, Apple TV 3, and more than likely the Emotiva CD player (used as transport) to the Yggy then to the Freya using balanced cables.  At this time no other analog connection will go into the Freya.  So nothing mechanical to speak of even if the Sonos is pulling music from my computer since it's upstairs.

The faint sound you hear when muted... is that dependent on tube vs JFET vs passive or across the board?

Looking forward to completing the setup in due time.  Thanks again for your responses. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #459 of 3,234
It's a mechanical hard drive (2TB Seagate) located just a few inches from both the Aries and Gungnir DAC (kinda don't have a lot of placement options).  

The faint music bleed through while muted is happening whether input is set to passive, JFET or tubes.  It's VERY faint.  Have to have your ear right near the speaker.  

If you order direct from Schiit you can always return it if you hate it (minus a 5%? restocking fee)....$35 bucks on $700 selling price. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #461 of 3,234
Yes, the extra gain in tube mode can mean a mighty shock if you forget to reduce the gain when switching from passive or Jfet to tube! I've been vacillating between tube or Jfet. After an audiophile friend came over for a listen last night, my decision, which I suspect will not be final, is to avoid this little gotcha and to pull out the tubes (again!).

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #462 of 3,234
  "...the Emotiva CD player (used as transport) to the Yggy then to the Freya using balanced cables."

That configuration, along with a pair of Vidar's, will sound exceptional.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #464 of 3,234
Hey guys, I've been reading this thread since I'm looking for a remote controlled preamp for my two channel setup. I'm wondering if there's any sonic advantage in using a Saga or Freya in passive mode over the SYS? 

If not, I'd try to add a motor to SYS and make it remote controlled and save the money. It would be a fun project too I guess!

Any thoughts?  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back