Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Feb 19, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #346 of 3,234
1) tubedepot.com
2) they matched my quad exactly to a whole number unit (85), you can pick low noise for an extra few $/tube, buy low gain, i think the balanced triode option doesn't benefit the freya but maybe someone with more tube know-how can chime in
3) i bought gold pin tube savers because the stock sockets are gold
4) i don't see why not but maybe a height issue (physically) not fitting?

Currently listening to a Jascha Heifetz RCA Stereo Box Set, freya with tungsol tubes adding that extra something to the bow slides. Very nice!

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #347 of 3,234
  Thank you Soundsgoodtome:

I ordered a matched quad set from you recommended source,...now...may I ask where you purchased your socket savers?...

I did find:

www.audiotubes.com

BRENT JESSEE RECORDING & SUPPLY, INC.

1590 West Algonquin Road #111
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192

who sells:
Standard Octal Socket Saver
If you tube roll octal base tubes, or have a tube tester and the octal socket get plenty of use, this inexpensive socket saver will save you plenty of work later if your main octal socket were to become intermittent. If you swap tubes in and out a great deal (as in a tube tester or amp where you tube roll) wear out this socket saver instead of your difficult to replace octal socket. This is for tubes like EL34, 6l6, KT88, 6SN7, etc. Well built and will last over thousands of tube changes!
$18.00
P-ST8-1000.gif

as well as:

Vacuum Tube Extractor Tool
If you tube roll or service vacuum tube equipment, you NEED this handy tool. This baby will pay for itself in saving you from burned fingers and smeared labels on NOS tubes, caused by trying to remove tubes by hand! Straight jaws for firm grip, spring steel construction, nickel plated, insulated jaws. Opens WIDE to accomodate even the largest tubes, and delicate enough for fragile glass antique tubes. Jaws are deep enough to grab the base of octal tubes, and insulated to gain a firm, yet careful grip on all-glass tubes. Can be used for extracting tubes, and re-inserting them, even in the most crowded chassis spaces.
$24.99
S-T5092.gif

and wondering if those are significantly better socket savers the the $2.95 models on the internet...and if these extractors will save a lot of money and grief in the long run...  

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #349 of 3,234
I'm based in the U.K. So if you need a recommendation for a U.K. Based web supplier we have Hot Rox and Watford valves with very similar pricing.
Can't recall wear I read it but according to Schiit you don't need all 4 tubes matched only matched pairs, which makes total sense as you can use different tubes for gain and followers.
I'd also like to know the answers to your other points so thanks for raising them. Incidentally I'm awaiting arrival of pair of Tung sols from Hot Rox and a pair of Psvane cv181 m2 from Hong Kong, all should be here this week.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #350 of 3,234
I'm based in the U.K. So if you need a recommendation for a U.K. Based web supplier we have Hot Rox and Watford valves with very similar pricing.
Can't recall wear I read it but according to Schiit you don't need all 4 tubes matched only matched pairs, which makes total sense as you can use different tubes for gain and followers.
I'd also like to know the answers to your other points so thanks for raising them. Incidentally I'm awaiting arrival of pair of Tung sols from Hot Rox and a pair of Psvane cv181 m2 from Hong Kong, all should be here this week.

This is Correct, You need to Match the Pair on the Right (Input) and the pair on the Left. Not all four.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #351 of 3,234
  I can tell you that the matched Tung Sol's I bought are much better than the stock tubes. 

I just did a quick test and put the stock tubes back in . Listened . Put the Tung Sol's in . Listened. 

Not even close . 

The Tung Sol's have better clarity, more meat on the bones ,are more lively and offer a better soundstage. 

These are new production. 

The Freya is my first venture into Tubes, I have always wanted to try them, and I like the Freya very much. I like the stock tubes sound, but I have nothing to compare the stock tubes to, other than previous solid state preamps(and the other stages of the Freya). I like what you had to say there. Where do/should I go to find a matched set of 4 of the Sol's?

The only thing I want to be sure of is that there is no dropoff in the bass level. My room eats up bass, and I don't want any less than the stock tubes. 

Thanks

EDIT: OK, I used my brain a bit (and Google even more), and I think this looks like what I need:

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-6sn7gt-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube

They offer 4 options, obviously I want balanced. Low noise sounds good(pun intended). Although I don't necessarily need it, and as long as it has no adverse affects, I would like more gain (although I don't know how much higher that is than stock). Don't know what "balanced triodes" is or if I should care about that. 

Did I find the right tubes, and any advise on the options?

Thanks again

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #352 of 3,234
Edit:

NM, Found the tubes I want @ upscale audio. On their way :) 

TUNG-SOL 6SN7GTB "Platinum grade" 

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #353 of 3,234
Hello People,
we know how the right hand tubs are the gain and the left are followers, which one of each is the left and right channel? When facing the Freya?

I'm trying to eliminate buzzing noises from one tube...

Also, with NOS tunes, if they buzz or hiss than they are messed up? It won't get better with usage right?

thank you, Tube noob here!

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #357 of 3,234
I'm actually planning to attempt that very combo, but am a couple months away from acquiring both pieces of Schiit. My plan is to have the Yggy > balanced in to Freya > balanced out to my power amp/single ended out to my nearby computer desk where Jotunheim will reside. I'll report my findings, eventually.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #358 of 3,234
  Anyone with a Freya and Jotunheim?  I've had thoughts on running the Freya as a pre to the head amp and was wondering if anyone has tried it, or if experienced with both, could provide insight if the combo would be worth consideration?

I'm actually planning to attempt that very combo, but am a couple months away from acquiring both pieces of Schiit. My plan is to have the Yggy > balanced in to Freya > balanced out to my power amp/single ended out to my nearby computer desk where Jotunheim will reside. I'll report my findings, eventually.

I'm most certainly sold on the Freya, it's a keeper. The Jot I've just got last night plugged in and with the HD800 the separation/layering as well as imaging is off -- however the unit is brand new so not going to call it final and send it back to Schiit until I get at least 200-300hrs in (15 day return policy). I will say that tuning is spot on as far as what I'm hearing in frequency response even with the bright natured HD800. I'll be testing with the HE560 this weekend which I'm more familiar with than the HD800. Running headphones and input balanced from DAC to Freya to Jot.

Keep in mind I also had the Freya feeding the Ragnarok for a few weeks as well - marvelous combination but too much in the hobby rolled into that Schiit stack than what I'm willing to hang onto. Source is a Holo Audio Spring Level 3 Dac.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #359 of 3,234
I'm most certainly sold on the Freya, it's a keeper. The Jot I've just got last night plugged in and with the HD800 the separation/layering as well as imaging is off -- however the unit is brand new so not going to call it final and send it back to Schiit until I get at least 200-300hrs in (15 day return policy). I will say that tuning is spot on as far as what I'm hearing in frequency response even with the bright natured HD800. I'll be testing with the HE560 this weekend which I'm more familiar with than the HD800. Running headphones and input balanced from DAC to Freya to Jot.

Keep in mind I also had the Freya feeding the Ragnarok for a few weeks as well - marvelous combination but too much in the hobby rolled into that Schiit stack than what I'm willing to hang onto. Source is a Holo Audio Spring Level 3 Dac.

Cool! I'd love to hear your feedback once you've had some time breaking it in.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #360 of 3,234
Currently running Freya into Jot.  Just got Freya today.  It's a welcome change.  Tubes are where it's at.  Freya doesn't fix Jot's smeared center image but definitely helps with sound stage depth.  I'll be picking up a power amp to run HE-6 anyways, just wanted to see what Jot sounded like with Freya in the chain.  Stock tubes are meh, but they might need to be broken in a bit, so I'll withhold judgement for now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back