Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #631 of 3,234
Thats good info Panda. Checking out the reference thread. Its such a (another) vast market to get my head around for one who never even held a tube. Something to do while waiting for Freya eh. Unfortunately the prices does not allow me to buy them all and try them out for myself. So I'm greatful that you guys are sharing experiences.
Are the differences subtle or significant? Guess thats depending on how resolving the rest of the system is.
It seems like there is varying opinions on the same tubes. Is that mostly due to personal preferences or different variations and conditions of the same tube or ..
Hearing is a funny thing. I tend to focus on the instruments especially the bass and rythm figures. And rarely listen to the lyrics. For some it's opposite and it's probably just the few who registers it all.
Not even sure what i'm going for but I do like a good bass sound. Timing is also very impotant since I'm mostly listening to rythmic music. But im also very interested in experiencing the big soundstage you're talking about. And I do like details and being able to discern what the different instruments are doing. And I seriously listen to all genres except mainstream pop and rock.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #632 of 3,234
New addition: new tube takes #1 spot!

My person ranking:

CLASS A

1. Raytheon VT-231 flat plates - OMG!! This tube has it all. Extended highs, prodigious bass, and a sweet midrange. This is my new nirvana. This tube is seriously underrated.
2. Sylvania 6SN7W black base - simply awesome, all around
3. Kenrad VT-231 staggered plates - stunning bass, clear highs - simply awesome, almost tied with #2, but with slightly more visceral bass
4. RCA VT-231 grey glass - sweet, sweet midrange, slightly rolled off highs, but DAMN - nice for the right kind of music that emphasizes piano and vocals
5. Sylvania VT-231 - very, very neutral, a bit lacking in bass, good in buffer position
Got some Sylvania 6SN7GT bad boys on the way for my next evaluation.

I finally received my Freya yesterday.

I swear I am not trying to copy you. But here are the tubes I have now:

4 - Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, Chrome Top)
2 - RCA CRC JAN 6SN7GT VT-231 (Smoked Glass)
2 - Raytheon 6SN7WGT (Brown Base, Opposing Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, 1952)
2 - Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W (Black Base, Short Bottle, Chrome Top, 1940's)

And on the way:

2 - Raytheon 6SN7GT, VT-231 (Opposing Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Reinforcing Rods, Printed Logos, early 1945)
2 - Ken-Rad VT-231 (Silver Printed Logos, Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Smoked Glass, November 1944)
2 - Sylvania 6SN7GT (Gray Plate, Solid Bottom D Getter, Late 40's)

It will be interesting to see if my impressions match yours. I will say that, so far, I like the Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W and Raytheon 6SN7WGT tubes the best in the gain stage. I think the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA are great in the output buffer stage. I am not yet a fan of the RCA VT-231 smoked glass tubes in the gain stage. I will give then some more time latter.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #634 of 3,234
You guys are just killing good NOS 6SN7 tubes here, four tubes (2+2) per this lowly machine......:triportsad:

There lesser quality tubes end up in the output buffer stage. We only need the really good tubes in the gain stage.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #635 of 3,234

Leaving all of the "tube rolling" out of it (as much as possible anyway) how do you like the Freya? What are your impressions of it? I'm thinking of getting one for my downstairs computer/powered monitor PC. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #636 of 3,234

I swear I am not trying to copy you. But here are the tubes I have now:

4 - Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, Chrome Top)
2 - RCA CRC JAN 6SN7GT VT-231 (Smoked Glass)
2 - Raytheon 6SN7WGT (Brown Base, Opposing Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, 1952)
2 - Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W (Black Base, Short Bottle, Chrome Top, 1940's)

And on the way:

2 - Raytheon 6SN7GT, VT-231 (Opposing Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Reinforcing Rods, Printed Logos, early 1945)
2 - Ken-Rad VT-231 (Silver Printed Logos, Black Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Smoked Glass, November 1944)
2 - Sylvania 6SN7GT (Gray Plate, Solid Bottom D Getter, Late 40's)

It will be interesting to see if my impressions match yours. I will say that, so far, I like the Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7W and Raytheon 6SN7WGT tubes the best in the gain stage. I think the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA are great in the output buffer stage. I am not yet a fan of the RCA VT-231 smoked glass tubes in the gain stage. I will give then some more time latter.

Not all RCA VT-231 are created equal. The earlier ones are really dark glass and the later ones seem to be lighter smoked glass. I have both. The darker ones are better.

But, these tubes are a lush, dark sound, so may not be to everyone's taste.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #637 of 3,234
Leaving all of the "tube rolling" out of it (as much as possible anyway) how do you like the Freya? What are your impressions of it? I'm thinking of getting one for my downstairs computer/powered monitor PC. Thanks!

Until Vidar comes out and I pick up some floor standing speakers, I am using Freya with my nearfield powered monitors. I hadn't been in a hurry to buy a Freya because I was content using my Mjolnir 2 as a preamp. I had been told that the MJ2 was not a very good preamp but I figured that it was more than adequate. I used great tubes and I was enjoying the sound I was getting.

Well, it only took about 5 minutes using Freya to figure out that either the MJ2 was a crappy preamp or Freya was an incredible preamp. Freya offered a much more realistic soundstage with much better vocal and instrument separation. The soundstage was no wider but was taller and had more depth. The music had a more immersive 3D effect that sounded more realistic. I could play lower volume levels yet still have the music sound clean and clear. This is a cliche around here, but it was as if a veil had been lifted at lower volumes and there was increased detail and clarity at higher volume levels. Both the micro and macrodynamics are better too.

I have zero desire to use my MJ2 as a preamp now. However, it is still an incredibly good headphone amplifier!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #638 of 3,234
Not all RCA VT-231 are created equal. The earlier ones are really dark glass and the later ones seem to be lighter smoked glass. I have both. The darker ones are better.

But, these tubes are a lush, dark sound, so may not be to everyone's taste.

The date codes on my RCA VT-231 are "V2E" which is 1945. I have them in my Freya right now. I am giving them some time to burn in before I get too critical of them. They are starting to sound better...or I am getting used to their sound!

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #639 of 3,234
There lesser quality tubes end up in the output buffer stage. We only need the really good tubes in the gain stage.

I think when you find those two tubes that make magic in your system you will find that four are even more magical.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #640 of 3,234
Hi guys, I am a new member here and received my Freya yesterday. This is a great little pre! I have some questions regarding the Tube positions. My manual states that the front two slots are the gain stage while the posterior two slots are the buffers! This contradicts the PDF on the Schiit website! I emailed Nick about this and am yet to hear from him. I bought a quad of tung sols from Upscale audio and one or several of the tubes is crackling so I have to figure out which ones are the culprit and knowing which slots are for what would greatly help. Anyone here know what is going on? Is my book misprinted or was the earlier one a mistake? Have they changed the socket locations since mine is the latest batch?
Regards

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #641 of 3,234
I think when you find those two tubes that make magic in your system you will find that four are even more magical.

The output buffer stage and the gain stage are quite different so it would make sense that different tubes would be a better choice. Plus, the output buffer is far less affected by tube choice than the gain stage.

Maybe someone with hardware design experience can provide some insight.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #642 of 3,234
Hi guys, I am a new member here and received my Freya yesterday. This is a great little pre! I have some questions regarding the Tube positions. My manual states that the front two slots are the gain stage while the posterior two slots are the buffers! This contradicts the PDF on the Schiit website! I emailed Nick about this and am yet to hear from him. I bought a quad of tung sols from Upscale audio and one or several of the tubes is crackling so I have to figure out which ones are the culprit and knowing which slots are for what would greatly help. Anyone here know what is going on? Is my book misprinted or was the earlier one a mistake? Have they changed the socket locations since mine is the latest batch?
Regards

Right side tubes are the gain stage tubes.

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #643 of 3,234
That's what the online PDF states but here is the text from my manual:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/1496430207777671619852_zpsxjm2k96x.jpg
1496430207777671619852_zpsxjm2k96x.jpg
IMG%5D

1496430207777671619852_zpsxjm2k96x.jpg
IMG%5D[\img]

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #644 of 3,234
The output buffer stage and the gain stage are quite different so it would make sense that different tubes would be a better choice. Plus, the output buffer is far less affected by tube choice than the gain stage.

Maybe someone with hardware design experience can provide some insight.

Of my favorite tubes a quad always sounds best to me. With a quad the followers reinforce the qualities that you like about the input tubes. And it is true you can temper the inputs by using a different pair for the followers, but I haven't found a combo that is an improvement yet. It may be worth trying so as to see for yourself or not if you find the right tubes for you. You can try out a new pair of tubes in front of your most neutral followers to determine if you want a quad or not, that's certainly a cost effective way to go about it.:beerchug:

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #645 of 3,234
Ok, I figured out which Tube was defective and this helped me see that my new manual is incorrect. The front row is left channel back is for the right. Right side is the gain where the better Tubes should go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back