Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,507 of 3,234
I had the same feeling and questions too a month ago and asked here, but this thread is not as active like some other Schiit threads which I found surprising.

I have over 200 hours on my Freya N now and I'm loving it. I have tried rolling in NOS 6CG7, and with adapters: 12AU7, 12AT7/CV455, and 5670. I might venture in with 6SN7 (with adapters of course) down the road. The odd thing is, I haven't rolled any 6922 or equivalents yet, perhaps this family is too expensive for NOS these days. Hence, I roll with the more affordable family tube types mentioned above. The Freya N is so versatile with tube rolling and so receptive to the different tubes, the possibilities are endless which makes this so great.

So far, I agree with the general sentiment that the right side tubes (input gain) has the more influence on sound. You can hear the differences in tubes more easily. The tubes on the left side (output) has less influence in comparison. Seems like most ppl put their best tubes on the input side and modest ones on the output which is what I am doing. I am still trying to fine tune my Freya N.

More importantly is for each side, both tubes should be matched closely to avoid imbalance and also avoid microphonic tubes to get a cleaner /blacker background.

Hey, which adapters did you use for 12AU7/12AT7?

Dec 24, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,508 of 3,234
Has anyone gotten a Freya N and rolled in some 12AU7/12AT7 tubes with adapter? No issues , correct?
Has anyone gotten a Freya N and rolled in some 12AU7/12AT7 tubes with adapter? No issues , correct?

Hope so. I just ordered a Freya N on closeout since I have lots of great 12AU7/AT7 tubes around like Telefunken ECC801S and Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82.

Will see how much it sounds like hemorrhoidal ass, as Mike Moffat insists. 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,509 of 3,234
Hey, which adapters did you use for 12AU7/12AT7?
I bought some adapters from Pulsetubestore, 12Axx to 6922. Works great and more importantly fits the tube hole opening on the Freya N.

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #2,511 of 3,234
Dec 25, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #2,512 of 3,234
I’ve been enjoying Freya+ for about a month now. Tube-wise, I found JJ and Tung-Sol to provide the sound I tend to enjoy the most. The placement may seem counterintuitive to some, but hey, if it works, I stop touching.

2EA9AAF1-B5FB-40F7-ABBB-40F15A9C35F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2,514 of 3,234
Hope so. I just ordered a Freya N on closeout since I have lots of great 12AU7/AT7 tubes around like Telefunken ECC801S and Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82.

Will see how much it sounds like hemorrhoidal ass, as Mike Moffat insists. 🤣
Any updates here? There seems to be a real lack of plus vs N comparisons, just one article found via Google. Would love to know if the N sounds inferior at all to the plus. Thanks!

Dec 27, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,515 of 3,234
I have a subwoofer (SVS PB3000) which uses one of the LR inputs from my HT receiver.

Is it possible if I wanted to integrate a subwoofer into a separate stereo chain using a Freya, that I could run a set of SE RCA outputs from the Freya to a y cable joiner to sum the inputs and feed it into the remaining available input on the Subwoofer please? The actual L and R speakers are powered by an Emotiva Power amp.

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #2,516 of 3,234
Any updates here? There seems to be a real lack of plus vs N comparisons, just one article found via Google. Would love to know if the N sounds inferior at all to the plus. Thanks!
The only real difference is the type of tube either takes and the requirements to accomodate either type. I had a question on just this and Jason Stoddard replied:

“Stoddard pointed out that the Freya Noval isn’t just a Freya+ with different tube sockets. It has different operating points, and a different gain structure, to accommodate the needs of 6922, 6N1P, and other popular noval tubes.”

@Jason Stoddard, can you comment?
(JS): Yep, same exact preamp, same passive, same differential buffer, different tubes, different operating point.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #2,518 of 3,234
The only real difference is the type of tube either takes and the requirements to accomodate either type. I had a question on just this and Jason Stoddard replied:

“Stoddard pointed out that the Freya Noval isn’t just a Freya+ with different tube sockets. It has different operating points, and a different gain structure, to accommodate the needs of 6922, 6N1P, and other popular noval tubes.”

@Jason Stoddard, can you comment?
(JS): Yep, same exact preamp, same passive, same differential buffer, different tubes, different operating point.
Yes, but they will absolutely sound different.

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #2,520 of 3,234
Yes, but they will absolutely sound different.
Sure, the tube stages will be different because tubes, and the same unit will absolutely sound different with different tubes. There will be no difference in the passive and differential stages. The main driver for most folks will be their preference in tube types. For me, a tube-noob, the closeout N was too good a deal to pass up, and the Amperex tubes I picked up on a recommendation created exactly the sound that I was after, so for me, the N is a no-regret choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back