Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,126 of 1,488
Well, something really funny happened today.

One of my 6N6Ps "lost" its getter. It looks just like that: entirely clear on the top. Upon turning the unit on, as perhaps expected, I don't see it lighting up. I guess that it lost its vacuum.

People who know about tubes. Is this a thing?

Also, what are your recommendations for sites to buy a replacement? I hear these don't need to be matched, though I suspect it is a good idea to have a spare set, ehm, just in case. I hear the fotons are good, but they're sold out in most places. Nothing wrong with ordering a fresh, generic set from Schiit, I guess.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,127 of 1,488

One of my 6N6Ps "lost" its getter. It looks just like that: entirely clear on the top. Upon turning the unit on, as perhaps expected, I don't see it lighting up. I guess that it lost its vacuum.

Also, what are your recommendations for sites to buy a replacement? I hear these don't need to be matched, though I suspect it is a good idea to have a spare set, ehm, just in case. I hear the fotons are good, but they're sold out in most places. Nothing wrong with ordering a fresh, generic set from Schiit, I guess.
valvesnmore.com

https://valvesnmore.com/?product_cat=all-folkvangr-tube-packages

Bought several Fotons, MELZ, etc. from them over the last year or two.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,128 of 1,488

Yup, it's a thing. Not a frequent thing, but a thing. More likely to happen with noval tubes where the pins are molded into the glass than an octal, where the pins are separate from the glass. A little too much stress at some point and the pin/glass seal is compromised.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,131 of 1,488
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #1,132 of 1,488
Correct, I believe the early GTs have lower tolerances on both parameters.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,133 of 1,488
Correct, I believe the early GTs have lower tolerances on both parameters.
The heater voltage and current are the same in the -GT as the later -GTA's and -GTB's. The main difference in the later tubes is the higher max plate voltage. An amp that is configured to use a -GT can safely run -GTA's and GTB's, but not necessarily the other way around.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,134 of 1,488
Should be no problem. 90v - 100v is the recommended design voltage for the plates on a 6922 in an audio amplification circuit. Not sure exactly what voltage Folkvangr puts to the plates of the 6922's, but I'd be surprised if it's much different than that and certainly wouldn't be even approaching 300v.
6sn7 requires a 600mA heater current, and 6922 is 300mA; not sure if that would strain the PSU or not.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,135 of 1,488
I bought a dozen 6n6p's off a ukrainian dude (they came from Kiev, in the last month, which is crazy to me) on ebay for a song, and had a friend test them. 1 was bad, threw it away. The rest are there in case I need 'em.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #1,137 of 1,488
I find the Folkvangr pairs very well with more “analytic”/detail oriented DACs to hit a perfect sweet spot between the euphonic and analytical poles. Thus, I found the Yggy LIM too much of a good thing when combined with a FV. I haven’t heard an OG or MIL but from their reviews you may want to look at those two.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,138 of 1,488
Any direct experience with the different variants, when paired with Folkvangr? Cans are Focal Utopia (2020).
I run my FV with Focal Clear OGs, Audeze LCD-3s, HD-800s, ZMF Verite Opens. Tried my Yggy OG, didn't love it (though I might have had motivated reasoning - it wants to live in my primary 2-channel rig). Have settled with Gungnir MB, but I'm going to rotate my Bifrost 2 OG in and see if I like it more. Per @ardbeg1975 (great name & avatar btw, islay ftw) brighter probably pairs better. Briefly tried a Modi+ and quite liked that, to be frank.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,139 of 1,488
I run my FV with Focal Clear OGs, Audeze LCD-3s, HD-800s, ZMF Verite Opens. Tried my Yggy OG, didn't love it (though I might have had motivated reasoning - it wants to live in my primary 2-channel rig). Have settled with Gungnir MB, but I'm going to rotate my Bifrost 2 OG in and see if I like it more. Per @ardbeg1975 (great name & avatar btw, islay ftw) brighter probably pairs better. Briefly tried a Modi+ and quite liked that, to be frank.
Islay ftw indeed. Veering outside of Schiit DACs, the Chord DACs pair well with the FV (Qutest and TT2). Regarding other Schiit DACs, I used to own a BF 2 OG and again, I loved that DAC on SS and hybrid tube amps but with tube amps I found it a bit too thick but your mileage may vary.

Jan 23, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,140 of 1,488
Looking to complete my upgrade cycle with a new DAC, looking strongly at Yggdrasil+. Any direct experience with the different variants, when paired with Folkvangr? Cans are Focal Utopia (2020).
I’m running Ygdrassil OG, FV, and Utopia 2020. The combination is fantastic. Plenty of details, very musical, and plenty of low end without being boomy or sloppy.

I upgraded from Bifrost MB, Bifrost 2/64, to the Yggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back