Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #496 of 1,482
At least with the FV, it’s one pair (+ one pair backup?) rather than four pairs for the 6N6P.
True. I did pick up a set of the 6N6P. Already. They’re pretty cheap and I figured with the Ukrainian war it wouldn’t hurt to plan for scarcity.

I like the idea of backup. Rolling a few tubes will give me some spares if a tube goes out. Ok, I now feel perfectly justified.

EDIT: Picked up a pair of matched Tungsram E88CCs. Not a ton of bargains out there but this looked like one- $99 + shipping on eBay.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #497 of 1,482
True. I did pick up a set of the 6N6P. Already. They’re pretty cheap and I figured with the Ukrainian war it wouldn’t hurt to plan for scarcity.

I like the idea of backup. Rolling a few tubes will give me some spares if a tube goes out. Ok, I now feel perfectly justified.

EDIT: Picked up a pair of matched Tungsram E88CCs. Not a ton of bargains out there but this looked like one- $99 + shipping on eBay.
I haven't yet rolled the 6N6P's....have a nice set of '50's Fotons on deck as soon as I get around to it. But I've rolled some SWGP 6N23P's, the Tungsrams, and some Amperex Holland 6DJ8's. While they all sound different of course, I'll just say that the stock 6N1P's won't ever be going back in. Brimar 6BQ7A's are next...

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #498 of 1,482
But still sounding fantastic :L3000:

Toward the end of the stream he also said that the 6N6P output tubes are driven pretty hard and that’s why they’ll last only about 5000 hours. I don’t fret though, 5000 hours is still around 2 1/2 years with 4-6 hours a day use.

(and I also have a spare set on hand, too, just in case :joy:)
With that many tubes per channel, how does one know when any of them are going bad (and which ones)?

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #499 of 1,482
With that many tubes per channel, how does one know when any of them are going bad (and which ones)?
Hickok 752A.jpg

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #501 of 1,482
I haven’t rolled 6n6’s yet either. I have 8 Fotons incoming any day now that I’ll probably try soon.

I have put in a pair of RTC 7308 for the input and really really like them. I have a few other sets to try as well but haven’t been able to get myself to pull the RTC’s… Bifrost2/64 > Folkvangr / RTC 7308 > HD800S = fantastic.

Haven’t even touched my Susvara/SS setup since the Folkvangr arrived 😁

Definitely interested in picking up a pair of the Tungsram mentioned here… anyone have a good source? Brent maybe? TIA

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #502 of 1,482
Y'all are a bad influence. Now have pairs in 6N23P-EV Elektrons, Bugle Boy 6Dj8's, Raytheon 6bz7's, and Telefunken 6DJ8's, and 16 backup 6N6P Gold Grids.
What’s your favorite so far?

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #503 of 1,482
What’s your favorite so far?
Haven't spent enough time to answer that, but will in the next month or so. I love teles, and am intrigued to run 4x 12ax7 and 2x 12au7 telefunken tubes in my phono pre into the Folk with the teles in there too. Too much of a good thing? We'll see!

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #505 of 1,482
I’ve been seriously looking into picking up a tester but not knowing squat about them… it’s a bit overwhelming to wrap my head around.

Not only the testers available ( which I have found some good sources describing various models, reliability, what they test for, etc) but the reliability of sellers, conditions of the equipment and the operation of it. when you know absolutely nothing about it…it’s a lot!!! 🤯
Especially to dump a couple grand into it… seems like a gamble to say the least.
Really would like to pick one up at some point though. There’s a couple Hickock 539 I’ve been watching (and drooling over) but I’ve got my sights set on an amp upgrade first.

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #506 of 1,482
I’ve been seriously looking into picking up a tester but not knowing squat about them… it’s a bit overwhelming to wrap my head around.

Not only the testers available ( which I have found some good sources describing various models, reliability, what they test for, etc) but the reliability of sellers, conditions of the equipment and the operation of it. when you know absolutely nothing about it…it’s a lot!!! 🤯
Especially to dump a couple grand into it… seems like a gamble to say the least.
Really would like to pick one up at some point though. There’s a couple Hickock 539 I’ve been watching (and drooling over) but I’ve got my sights set on an amp upgrade first.
I am a tube novice but have thought about testers in the past.

Seems like a good opportunity for a state or regional audio club to purchase. Would help with shared cost and shared knowledge.

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #507 of 1,482
This is simply a few follow-up Folkvangr thoughts, maybe as a data-point for newbies. Just one person's take as a data-point....not an argument or counter to any prior impressions:

For what's it's worth, for tube newbies who picked up Folkvangr, I would make a humble plea that this is not a rewarding amp to develop tube nervosa on. You will see chatter around rolling a roll that rolled a roll on a EC9874-XN with the orange labeling from May 14, 1974 when Eddie "Lunn Bun" McChesire was known to be the working the line after a steak-and-pie night and his knowledge and flatulence famously produced DA' BEST EC9874-XN outside perhaps the Bad Bugle Drummer Boys of August of 79'........but stop. The 6N1P and 6N6P are interesting, fairly unique tubes that were cranked out in a small handful of Russian factories long before landing as an audio/amp option.

For 6N6P's....from 00's era DIY amps to the Valhalla 2 in the teens.....I've picked up 6N6P's from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. I've found pretty minor differences....with quality control (or my luck) slipping most in the 90's versions. I tend to go with some sets from the 70's most often.....I don't find the famed 60's variants notably better. These were precision equipment-bound tubes made in a smallish number of factories.....be mindful of wild audiophile claims (and paying the wild claim tax via high prices) like "Gold Grid", Foton's are the best, etc. (like 70% of 6N6P's have gold-plating, etc). Absolutely do get yourself 1 or 2 change-out sets before availability or price slide further.....but in my humble opinion I wouldn't go nuts on the 6N6P's.

I like the stock 6N1P sound quite a bit. It's not without weak-spots.....but it's detailed, fast, and stages in an interesting manner. It's great for more aggressive genres like metal. It may not be everyone's cup of tea.....but like the 6N6P's above I have (by 6N1P standards) a wide selection of these tubes and find no particular outliers. The tubes Schiit provides with Valhalla 2/Folkvangr are pretty representative of the model......I have zero idea what people have in mind as the in-family alternative when they claim "SCHITT SENDS LOW END STOCK TUBEZ CHANG TO BEST 6N1P". Also like above, for sure get yourself 1 or 2 sets of matches pairs now.....but personally I wouldn't go wild on some perceived unique variant vs. bird in the hand while they are still about.

The 'good' news is...the 6N1P's are realistically swappable for the 6DJ8/ECC88/6922/etc. family. The 'bad' news is.....that is a pretty famous family of amp tubes that's had a couple decades of picking over with the requisite remaining high prices. There are some pretty decent new-make and still some very good NOS.....but they are relatively pricey and full of tube-sales hype to keep premiums up on remaining stock ("Bugle Boys", etc.) Totally my subjective opinion......I've found Folkvangr sonically rewards some of the less hyped Amprex from the 70's/80's vs. NOS Telefunken's or new Gold Lion's (nice on Folkvangr, but can get pretty bright depending on the mix). My simple two cents would be to try a reasonable priced NOS pair from a trusted tube vendor.....if you think you hear wild improvements then down the rabbit (and budget) hole you go. Side grade or interesting but not mind-blowing....grab two more available, much cheaper match 6N1P pairs and feel good.

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #508 of 1,482
This is simply a few follow-up Folkvangr thoughts, maybe as a data-point for newbies. Just one person's take as a data-point....not an argument or counter to any prior impressions:

For what's it's worth, for tube newbies who picked up Folkvangr, I would make a humble plea that this is not a rewarding amp to develop tube nervosa on. You will see chatter around rolling a roll that rolled a roll on a EC9874-XN with the orange labeling from May 14, 1974 when Eddie "Lunn Bun" McChesire was known to be the working the line after a steak-and-pie night and his knowledge and flatulence famously produced DA' BEST EC9874-XN outside perhaps the Bad Bugle Drummer Boys of August of 79'........but stop. The 6N1P and 6N6P are interesting, fairly unique tubes that were cranked out in a small handful of Russian factories long before landing as an audio/amp option.

For 6N6P's....from 00's era DIY amps to the Valhalla 2 in the teens.....I've picked up 6N6P's from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. I've found pretty minor differences....with quality control (or my luck) slipping most in the 90's versions. I tend to go with some sets from the 70's most often.....I don't find the famed 60's variants notably better. These were precision equipment-bound tubes made in a smallish number of factories.....be mindful of wild audiophile claims (and paying the wild claim tax via high prices) like "Gold Grid", Foton's are the best, etc. (like 70% of 6N6P's have gold-plating, etc). Absolutely do get yourself 1 or 2 change-out sets before availability or price slide further.....but in my humble opinion I wouldn't go nuts on the 6N6P's.

I like the stock 6N1P sound quite a bit. It's not without weak-spots.....but it's detailed, fast, and stages in an interesting manner. It's great for more aggressive genres like metal. It may not be everyone's cup of tea.....but like the 6N6P's above I have (by 6N1P standards) a wide selection of these tubes and find no particular outliers. The tubes Schiit provides with Valhalla 2/Folkvangr are pretty representative of the model......I have zero idea what people have in mind as the in-family alternative when they claim "SCHITT SENDS LOW END STOCK TUBEZ CHANG TO BEST 6N1P". Also like above, for sure get yourself 1 or 2 sets of matches pairs now.....but personally I wouldn't go wild on some perceived unique variant vs. bird in the hand while they are still about.

The 'good' news is...the 6N1P's are realistically swappable for the 6DJ8/ECC88/6922/etc. family. The 'bad' news is.....that is a pretty famous family of amp tubes that's had a couple decades of picking over with the requisite remaining high prices. There are some pretty decent new-make and still some very good NOS.....but they are relatively pricey and full of tube-sales hype to keep premiums up on remaining stock ("Bugle Boys", etc.) Totally my subjective opinion......I've found Folkvangr sonically rewards some of the less hyped Amprex from the 70's/80's vs. NOS Telefunken's or new Gold Lion's (nice on Folkvangr, but can get pretty bright depending on the mix). My simple two cents would be to try a reasonable priced NOS pair from a trusted tube vendor.....if you think you hear wild improvements then down the rabbit (and budget) hole you go. Side grade or interesting but not mind-blowing....grab two more available, much cheaper match 6N1P pairs and feel good.
Good advice. In my opinion a well designed amp shouldn’t need a tube swap first thing to sound good and the FV sounds fantastic powering the cheap tubes it ships with.

It’s easy enough to spend the price of an amp on tubes and I appreciate that Schiit doesn’t require such insanity. That said, changing tubes will change the sound and I’m looking forward to reading peoples impressions, even the hyperbolic ones.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #509 of 1,482

I don’t mean to start a flame war, but the stock tubes in my Valhalla 2 with a glass of good bourbon has made for the best pairing I’ve found yet!

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #510 of 1,482
I don’t mean to start a flame war, but the stock tubes in my Valhalla 2 with a glass of good bourbon has made for the best pairing I’ve found yet!
You may not be familiar with the Schiit Audio threads, but the obvious question(s) will be...
What bourbon?*

* - and that has potential for a flame war. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back