Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #467 of 1,482
"This [Folkvangr] is the worst measuring product we have ever made..."
- Jason
8/10/22
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/
But still sounding fantastic :L3000:

Toward the end of the stream he also said that the 6N6P output tubes are driven pretty hard and that’s why they’ll last only about 5000 hours. I don’t fret though, 5000 hours is still around 2 1/2 years with 4-6 hours a day use.

(and I also have a spare set on hand, too, just in case :joy:)

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #468 of 1,482

Toward the end of the stream he also said that the 6N6P output tubes are driven pretty hard and that’s why they’ll last only about 5000 hours. I don’t fret though, 5000 hours is still around 2 1/2 years with 4-6 hours a day use.

Only one? You're slipping, man. :slight_smile:

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #469 of 1,482

Im looking to try a set of 6h30pi

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #470 of 1,482
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #471 of 1,482
One month follow up on the Folkvangr:

I posted my initial impressions around July 8 after listening to the FV for a day and a half or so. My feeling then was that this amp kicked ass. One month later that feeling hasn’t changed. It really does have a fantastic, grin inducing sound with TOTL detail, staging, clarity and dynamics.

I’m pleased to say the FV is a significant improvement over my other amps. (Lyr3 & Woo WA6-SE). The improvement scales with headphone quality. My ZMF VC scales massively and I highly recommend it with the Folkvangr.

I don’t have any complaints about the amp at all really, While I could probably come up with a few nit-picks compared to solid state amps, compared with other tube amps I’ve owned it’s a very well designed amp. It doesn’t have the shear massive solidness of the Woo thick walled extruded aluminum case and 1/4” engraved face plate, but it feels well made and the money clearly is spent on the insides. It’s modern looking with a touch of Art Deco and a touch of Frankenstein, but it works.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #472 of 1,482
I've bought so much Schiit in the last months. Went from having just an Yggy to a Bifrost > Lyr 3 for my gaming rig, and the FV for my music listening rig. Quite satisfied! My stash of tubes is suspiciously starting to grow. Don't know when that started to happen.

Though I wonder if anyone here has listened to the HA2-SF, this was my first option for an amp before Schiit announced the FV and I decided it looked too crazy not to give it a try. Looking for other people's comparison points, now that I have a better idea of how tubes sound like.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #473 of 1,482
I've bought so much Schiit in the last months. Went from having just an Yggy to a Bifrost > Lyr 3 for my gaming rig, and the FV for my music listening rig. Quite satisfied! My stash of tubes is suspiciously starting to grow. Don't know when that started to happen.

Though I wonder if anyone here has listened to the HA2-SF, this was my first option for an amp before Schiit announced the FV and I decided it looked too crazy not to give it a try. Looking for other people's comparison points, now that I have a better idea of how tubes sound like.
Don't worry. It will get worse. 🤣

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #474 of 1,482
Don't worry. It will get worse. 🤣
True statement. The smart thing to do is treat it like the beginning of a long term debilitating illness.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #475 of 1,482

Hello,
How is the Lyr 3 sound quality compared to the FV generally? Especially in depth/volume granularity? Tks

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #476 of 1,482
How is the Lyr 3 sound quality compared to the FV generally?
They're very different to my ears. The Lyr is quite forgiving and always provides an enjoyable experience. Nice separation and clarity, rich treble, moderate (yet sufficient) lows. I have it connected to a gaming console (via a Bifrost) and I like how it enhances the presentation of my games. The FV is either a revelation or a 'blah' experience depending on the recording and your choice of headphones. Whereas the Lyr is always ready to give you something nice (and remain a bit in the surface of things) the FV will either make your jaw drop with lifelike, emotional, holographic sound, or leave you dissatisfied as you discover that some songs in your database were not as well recorded as you thought.

Volume behaves different in both. The Lyr is more traditional in the sense that after a point things just get louder (and it does have plenty of power), where the FV's volume is a measure of how much musical ocean is around you. It asks to be listened at high levels, things just get richer and richer (which might be kind of a hazard, I think)

Hope this helps!

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #477 of 1,482
They're very different to my ears. The Lyr is quite forgiving and always provides an enjoyable experience. Nice separation and clarity, rich treble, moderate (yet sufficient) lows. I have it connected to a gaming console (via a Bifrost) and I like how it enhances the presentation of my games. The FV is either a revelation or a 'blah' experience depending on the recording and your choice of headphones. Whereas the Lyr is always ready to give you something nice (and remain a bit in the surface of things) the FV will either make your jaw drop with lifelike, emotional, holographic sound, or leave you dissatisfied as you discover that some songs in your database were not as well recorded as you thought.

Volume behaves different in both. The Lyr is more traditional in the sense that after a point things just get louder (and it does have plenty of power), where the FV's volume is a measure of how much musical ocean is around you. It asks to be listened at high levels, things just get richer and richer (which might be kind of a hazard, I think)

Hope this helps!
I concur with above and would add — the Lyr has a lot of power (~6W at 32 ohms) and you can almost hear the pent up potential in the air with lower impedance headphones. At 300 ohms (given typology), the FV has more power but as said above it doesn’t translate into raw volume as it goes with the Lyr. As a hybrid, the “tube” sound is much less prominent on the Lyr and you tend to hear more of the SS power potential than the tube 3D sense of space. Rolling different tubes into the Lyr will make more subtle sonic differences in general compared to rolling tubes in OPT or OTL amps. Lastly, I think the FV brings out better soundstage than the Lyr (relative to the underlying recording and headphone of course). But overall, the FV is more picky and despite the impedance multiplier (which I ignore), for me it is at its very best (which is quite awesome) with 300+ ohm dynamic headphones like ZMFs.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #478 of 1,482

Hope this helps!

I concur with above and would add — the Lyr has a lot of power (~6W at 32 ohms) and you can almost hear the pent up potential in the air with lower impedance headphones. At 300 ohms (given typology), the FV has more power but as said above it doesn’t translate into raw volume as it goes with the Lyr. As a hybrid, the “tube” sound is much less prominent on the Lyr and you tend to hear more of the SS power potential than the tube 3D sense of space. Rolling different tubes into the Lyr will make more subtle sonic differences in general compared to rolling tubes in OPT or OTL amps. Lastly, I think the FV brings out better soundstage than the Lyr (relative to the underlying recording and headphone of course). But overall, the FV is more picky and despite the impedance multiplier (which I ignore), for me it is at its very best (which is quite awesome) with 300+ ohm dynamic headphones like ZMFs.
I agree with both these posts. I would add that the Lyr 3 sounds more like a solid state amp. The bass is tighter and more controlled, the soundstage is less holographic, clarity is outstanding and overall it’s drier and edgier. On a more subtle level, the layering, imaging and microdynamics on the Lyr3 don’t stand out like on the FV. That said, it’s really good with low impedance, low efficiency headphones and is a relatively forgiving amp.

In many ways, the FV sounds like what it is- a high end transformer less tube amp. It’s lush, a little wet sounding and more euphonic than the Lyr while at the same time very dynamic with an amazing level of detail and imaging. It is not very forgiving though in some areas- poorly mastered recordings are obvious and it strongly prefers fast, high efficiency headphones. Unlike most OTLs, it does fine with moderate impedance headphones with reasonable levels of efficiency.

Overall I’d say the Lyr3 is like a well prepared slice of steak served with a dry Cabernet. The FV is BBQ ribs with a tangy, spicy sauce and served with craft beer.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #479 of 1,482
How FV sounds with Grado? Do you need to use the impedance multiplier?

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #480 of 1,482
I use the FV with the GS3000e and Hemp. Low gain with multiplier on. Sounds really good. Smooth with a large soundstage. The multiplier seems to tighten up the bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back