Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #346 of 1,486
@Kapazza
Would you mind sharing a comparison of the MJ2 and Folk?

I have an MJ2 and almost ordered a Folk. I am torn on going Folk, Ampsandsound, or DNA, if I even stay with a tube amp.

Like others said above, my preference between the two depends on so many factors...acoustic guitar with vocals, or symphonies? FV > HD800S all day, every day.

Anderson .Paak? MJ2 > Arya.

"In between" stuff (meaning a mix, a bit of both, more of an even spread on the frequency spectrum), such as rock/country...depends on which headphones I want to use. But the Arya sound much better to me on the MJ2 than the Folkvangr, whereas the HD800S is just better on the FV while still great on the MJ2.

If you ultimately want to cycle through a bunch of different headphones, you'll need to hang onto the MJ2. Like most tube amps, the Folkvangr isn't going to allow planars to show off their full potential. Not really a detailed comparison like you asked for, but hopefully that helps.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #347 of 1,486
@erics75 @theveterans @Kapazza
I prefer dynamic cans for the impact. Primary music flavors are metal/hard rock and electronic, I am a bass head, which is why I got the ZMF Eikon over the Atticus for the upgraded driver to push the bass/slam. This is probably why I have been content with the MJ2 for quite some time. I got my Yggy LiM last year and am working my way up the chain. Tonality I like some warmth, a flavor, but not drenched in syrup. My apprehension of moving to a tube amp is that I would loose the attack on notes and everything would sound rolled off. To avoid this you just have to spend more. CanJam ZMF booth when I demo'ed the cans was with a Yggy A2/Ampsandsound Mogwai SE and I really liked that setup. No clue what tubes Zach had in the amp but he commented to another attendee that he had almost the cost of the amp in just tubes in it. I am definitely going to look at moving up the ZMF product stack as well, so a closed Atrium(?) potentially or Verite Closed.

So, the Folk is appealing for the tonal signature and imaging but I am concerned my basshead side will not be impressed.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #348 of 1,486
I prefer dynamic cans for the impact. Primary music flavors are metal/hard rock and electronic, I am a bass head, which is why I got the ZMF Eikon over the Atticus for the upgraded driver to push the bass/slam. This is probably why I have been content with the MJ2 for quite some time. I got my Yggy LiM last year and am working my way up the chain. Tonality I like some warmth, a flavor, but not drenched in syrup. My apprehension of moving to a tube amp is that I would loose the attack on notes and everything would sound rolled off. To avoid this you just have to spend more. CanJam ZMF booth when I demo'ed the cans was with a Yggy A2/Ampsandsound Mogwai SE and I really liked that setup. No clue what tubes Zach had in the amp but he commented to another attendee that he had almost the cost of the amp in just tubes in it. I am definitely going to look at moving up the ZMF product stack as well, so a closed Atrium(?) potentially or Verite Closed.

So, the Folk is appealing for the tonal signature and imaging but I am concerned my basshead side will not be impressed.

With Folk, you shouldn't really lose the slam with high impedance HP like the ZMF, and it should be just as much as MJ2 if I would guess. However, if you truly want not to second guess, definitely go with a SET amp for better compatibility than Folk. AmpsandSound have their own ZMF pendant amp, but any of their amp, including Mogwai SE / Ovation / Lee Loo / Forge (32/300 version) should be much better than MJ2 driving the ZMF. With Mogwai, I do suggest changing from stock EL34 to either 6L6GC or KT88 (Gold Lion) if you want slamming bass

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #349 of 1,486
With Folk, you shouldn't really lose the slam with high impedance HP like the ZMF, and it should be just as much as MJ2 if I would guess. However, if you truly want not to second guess, definitely go with a SET amp for better compatibility than Folk. AmpsandSound have their own ZMF pendant amp, but any of their amp, including Mogwai SE / Ovation / Lee Loo / Forge (32/300 version) should be much better than MJ2 driving the ZMF. With Mogwai, I do suggest changing from stock EL34 to either 6L6GC or KT88 (Gold Lion) if you want slamming bass
Good recommendations, but not cheap. In the $1800 price range of the Folkvanger, there’s not much I can think of. Cayin is coming out with a new tube amp that is probably in that price range, but I don’t know if it’s SET.

From my own experiences, High impedance high efficiency dynamics like ZMF slam just about as hard on the FV as my Woo WA6-SE (SET)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #350 of 1,486
Good recommendations, but not cheap. In the $1800 price range of the Folkvanger, there’s not much I can think of. Cayin is coming out with a new tube amp that is probably in that price range, but I don’t know if it’s SET.

From my own experiences, High impedance high efficiency dynamics like ZMF slam just about as hard on the FV as my Woo WA6-SE (SET)

Wish Schiitr had more headphones in their store though other than just grados and low impedance headphones. The topology of Folkvangr limits its synergy to specific headphones but when you hit that optimum synergy, it's right up there with great SET (or ultralinear configured) amps at least twice its price

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #351 of 1,486

The MJ2 has really good bass performance. Not the most nuanced, but it slams hard and fast. The Mogwai is definitely an amp that can hang with the MJ2 in the bass department. That amp can slam hard. But in terms of just pure bass impact, I'm not sure how much more you'd get going to it from an MJ2. IMO the bass impact would be similar. The gains would be in overall performance, as the Mogwai is a more refined and spacious sounding amp vs the MJ2. But if you're seeking mostly a gain in bass transient performance, that's a tough one. One option would be get a nice tube amp for the overall sonic improvements, and use EQ (Schiit Loki series is really nice) to up the bass presence to your preferred level. Sorry I can't provide any feedback on the FV, I haven't been to the Schiitr yet to demo it. I was going to go demo and possibly buy one but got laid off, so no buying anything new for awhile until I've recovered financially. I'm in sell mode, not buy :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #352 of 1,486
Wish Schiitr had more headphones in their store though other than just grados and low impedance headphones. The topology of Folkvangr limits its synergy to specific headphones but when you hit that optimum synergy, it's right up there with great SET (or ultralinear configured) amps at least twice its price
In terms of ability to drive, I find the FV more flexible than my relatively inexpensive SET amp as long as the headphone is efficient. That said, the SET seems to exercise more control over the driver and is able to drive low efficiency headphones much better due to its greater control.

Timbre is where the FV seems to be headphone picky. It definitely colors the sound and it loves a phone with great imaging, mids, and treble clarity.

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #353 of 1,486
In terms of ability to drive, I find the FV more flexible than my relatively inexpensive SET amp as long as the headphone is efficient. That said, the SET seems to exercise more control over the driver and is able to drive low efficiency headphones much better due to its greater control.

Timbre is where the FV seems to be headphone picky. It definitely colors the sound and it loves a phone with great imaging, mids, and treble clarity.
Drums with the HD650 are awesome with the FV, sounds extremely realistic with great slam.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #354 of 1,486
Drums with the HD650 are awesome with the FV, sounds extremely realistic with great slam.
I found that true on the 6XX as well. Actually, I haven’t found slam to be lacking on any headphone as long as it’s efficient.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #355 of 1,486
Are the stock tubes OK? Or everybody changes them after getting their FV?

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #356 of 1,486
Are the stock tubes OK? Or everybody changes them after getting their FV?
They're fine, I swapped out the front 2 for a new production pair of Telefunken E88CC just because I had them.

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #358 of 1,486
Is there a benefit of having FV over something like HA-6A? Which one would have more “tubby” sound?

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #360 of 1,486
Love this amp. Only got an hour or so of play then vacation but I immediately preferred it over my Valhalla 2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back