Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #166 of 1,487
So I checked FedEx's tracking page today (twice - once this morning, once just now) and it says my FV is out for delivery. In Girard, OH. Considering that I live in Vermont that's gonna be one hell of a delivery route. I'll be surprised if it arrives tomorrow, and happy if it arrives as promised on Friday. Since my Gungnir went through a similar journey and was "out for delivery" while wandering around in Ohio, I'm now CONVINCED that someone at a FedEx depot in the midwest is getting great pleasure from *** with us Schiitheads.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #167 of 1,487
Well... Tonight I replaced the 2 6n1p tubes with 1960s telefunken ecc88's, hooked up some lcd-2's, and spun the Baby Face Willette Tone Poet LP and I think I'm in heaven. A/B test vs loudspeakers is showing greater bass presence and smoothness with the Audeze's (likely from two stages of tubes with the phono pre having 4 12ax7 and 2 12au7 tubes in addition to FV's 10) but if I'm losing detail I can't find it.

Compared to Sundara's is no contest. I'm losing presence and sound stage (I guess. I'm not golden eared nor am I the most discerning of hi-fi traits. More like sounds good or not good). High gain sounds best with both my planars, but I only feel a difference with the lower impedance Sundara's when I flip the Multiplier.

I don't have much in the way of dynamics, but did try my ATH-M50X. 38 ohms so maybe not the ideal fit. Sounded clean, ok, but the THERE isn't there. May be why I'm a planar guy. I can fine tune with the Loki Max eventually but I ain't reaching for it...

I could go down a rabbit hole I guess with more expensive dynamics but frankly once I get to where I'm happy and listening to the music I don't see the point, the music is.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #168 of 1,487
Oooooooo my gods children, the old and the new......does this amp Metal. I don't usually look to float out impressions until I've at least got a few days worth of ear-hole time......but oh my gosh does this amp Metal something fierce. Was starting out on jazz and classical....slid into some Budgie and Zeppelin. Ok...ok....nice...getting a bit more boomy/bloomy (in a good way, for me) as it goes....not the most amazing amp ever yet but doing its thing. Put on Earthless -> Atriums....'O' audio-face time. Finger up/please exit the lounge area to the wife time. Where Eagles Dare.....Ageless, Stil I Am....Blood Spiller....Last Man Standing.....Doom, Death, Thrash, Trad, Black....yes oh yesssssssssss. It's like my XE6's did so much cocaine they screamed "NOW I'M GONNA BE A @#$#ING TUBE AMP!!!" and just morphed into the Folkvangr. This is probably relevant to the 2-3 people on earth who bought this amp and like metal.....but put on some Hooded Menace right the hell now and join in the happiest place on earth. And if you don't have Atriums....buy Atriums.

Right now I'm experiencing this as the Borderlands loot of tube amps. Like when you pick up a submachine gun that shoots explosive shells, holds two rounds in the magazine, and buffs mele.....you picked up Folkvangr as a tube amp and the loot specs are like:

-Does not into High Impedance
+High Gain sounds jamming on 32 Ohm Grados
+Slams like a mule
++Bonus stats on Metal

I don't know if that sounds like a "tube amp" archetype.....but the majority of those things are waaaaaay my alley.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #169 of 1,487
Oooooooo my gods children, the old and the new......does this amp Metal. I don't usually look to float out impressions until I've at least got a few days worth of ear-hole time......but oh my gosh does this amp Metal something fierce. Was starting out on jazz and classical....slid into some Budgie and Zeppelin. Ok...ok....nice...getting a bit more boomy/bloomy (in a good way, for me) as it goes....not the most amazing amp ever yet but doing its thing. Put on Earthless -> Atriums....'O' audio-face time. Finger up/please exit the lounge area to the wife time. Where Eagles Dare.....Ageless, Stil I Am....Blood Spiller....Last Man Standing.....Doom, Death, Thrash, Trad, Black....yes oh yesssssssssss. It's like my XE6's did so much cocaine they screamed "NOW I'M GONNA BE A @#$#ING TUBE AMP!!!" and just morphed into the Folkvangr. This is probably relevant to the 2-3 people on earth who bought this amp and like metal.....but put on some Hooded Menace right the hell now and join in the happiest place on earth. And if you don't have Atriums....buy Atriums.
Whew. Being 1 of the 2-3, I'm good then. :sweat_smile:

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #170 of 1,487

Right now I'm experiencing this as the Borderlands loot of tube amps. Like when you pick up a submachine gun that shoots explosive shells, holds two rounds in the magazine, and buffs mele.....you picked up Folkvangr as a tube amp and the loot specs are like:

+Slams like a mule
++Bonus stats on Metal

I don't know if that sounds like a "tube amp" archetype.....but the majority of those things are waaaaaay my alley.
Right on brother, Deathcore and Prog Metal FTW. And pretty much any other metal. Tell me how Khemmis sounds on FV. I just added Hooded Menace and Earthless to my Spotify bands. I will be sampling them tonight. My FV is still in production so I look forward to testing it's metal chops when it arrives.

🤘😬🤘

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #171 of 1,487
put on some Hooded Menace right the hell now and join in the happiest place on earth.
And now I have a new band to dive into. Tritonus Bell album made for great loud-on-garage-stereo-while-working-on-Miata-radiator music. Obviously I am in need of a new space heater to occupy my mind before I start taking sillier and sillier things apart. Come onnnnnnn FedEx!

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #172 of 1,487
Based on the above posts, Folkvangr will not likely (ever) be propelling Ray Coniff & Orchestra, Captain & Tennille (thank god)…🤪🤣

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #173 of 1,487
Right on brother, Deathcore and Prog Metal FTW. And pretty much any other metal. Tell me how Khemmis sounds on FV. I just added Hooded Menace and Earthless to my Spotify bands. I will be sampling them tonight. My FV is still in production so I look forward to testing it's metal chops when it arrives.

🤘😬🤘
Ok, you win…tomorrow I’m playing Jinjer, Sleep, Napalm Death, and Meshuggah.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #174 of 1,487
Ok, you win…tomorrow I’m playing Jinjer, Sleep, Napalm Death, and Meshuggah.
Just reading that list makes me want to head bang.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #175 of 1,487
Based on the above posts, Folkvangr will not likely (ever) be propelling Ray Coniff & Orchestra, Captain & Tennille (thank god)…🤪🤣
Folkvangr or any other amp, for that matter. Hopefully. :sweat_smile:

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #176 of 1,487

+Slams like a mule
++Bonus stats on Metal

Nice, earthless is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back