Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #136 of 1,490
Wish I could help. Changed my DAC at the same time I put in the Fv so I'm not sure what is adding to what yet. Waiting on a cable for another week so I can at least A/B test same cans against my Jot 2. All I can say is it sounds great. I have LCD-2 coming but so far it drives my fairly low impedance Sundaras extremely well, and unsurprisingly better in high gain.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #137 of 1,490
Curious if you have tried any dynamic headphones on the Folkvagnr yet. On the Schiit thread it has been mentioned that it may not play well with dynamic headphones. I hopefully wil have mine tommorrow to try myself.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #138 of 1,490
Curious if you have tried any dynamic headphones on the Folkvagnr yet. On the Schiit thread it has been mentioned that it may not play well with dynamic headphones. I hopefully wil have mine tommorrow to try myself.
It works fine with ZMF Aeolus and Eikon. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to pull out my Sennheiser HD820 and HD800, I don't expect either of those will be hard to drive. Only my DCA Stealth (planar) is a bit too much for the Folkvangr (doesn't sound bad really,but clearly anything with a lot of bass causes it to run out of steam.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #139 of 1,490
I figured the Stealth wouldn't be a good match. The Stealth's calling card is low distortion. Probably not a good match with the Folkvangr. Of course I will probably try it anyway. The LCD4 and Grado GS3000e are the ones I hope work well.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #140 of 1,490
Here's a quick picture of Folkvangr! Arrived Saturday, but it was a working Saturday night for me, 6pm-6am.... Set up Folkvangr for a quick listen Sunday afternoon. Ended being up til 3 am this morning. Was using Sennheiser HD800S...:ksc75smile::L3000::ksc75smile: Currently listening to LCD4 and it's been another enjoyable session... Still need to let the tubes get some more hours on them....

One thing I really like about Loki Max is it doesn't have to be on to have the signal pass through. I'm still debating if I want to keep Loki Max as I don't use eq very often.

Folkvangr #4.jpg

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #141 of 1,490
I figured the Stealth wouldn't be a good match. The Stealth's calling card is low distortion. Probably not a good match with the Folkvangr. Of course I will probably try it anyway. The LCD4 and Grado GS3000e are the ones I hope work well.
’ve read three short reviews so far. One likes it with planars and hates it with all his dynamics, one prefers it with dynamics, and one loves it with both. We’ll have a better idea by the end of this week I think.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #142 of 1,490
’ve read three short reviews so far. One likes it with planars and hates it with all his dynamics, one prefers it with dynamics, and one loves it with both.
Yep, sounds like a good tube amp…unpredictable.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #143 of 1,490
Yep, sounds like a good tube amp…unpredictable.
They are that. I have been listening to
My Woo WA6SE for years and every headphone I tried sounded best from the low impedance tap. This week I borrowed an HD800s which sounds way better on the high impedance tap. No idea why really.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #144 of 1,490
I progressed through the Woo amps, liked every one. WA6se, WA5le, WA33se. But I found the WA33 lost a little of the tube magic I was looking for. I think for me the WA5le with its 300B tubes was the sweet spot. Now I am running a Ragnarok 2 and would like a nice contrast. I think the Folkvangr will be it.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #145 of 1,490
My original estimated arrival date was Thursday, updated to today. And of course FedEx had to play with my emotions, it is listed "in transit", not out for delivery. So who knows. Must be a bunch of sadists working at FedEx. :o2smile:

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #146 of 1,490
I'll be interested to see how this performs relative to other options around a similar price point. Schiit competes well in the entry level and midfi products/prices but this is started to progress a bit higher.

A few other options and not a complete list:

Dragon Inspire IHA-1 - $1500
WBA Virtus 300B - $1500
ZMF Pendant - $2300
Auris Audio ha2 sf - $2400
Pathos Aurium - $1600
Quicksilver Headphone Amplifier - $1000
La Figaro 339i - $900

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #147 of 1,490
Mine just arrived. I got it fired up about an hour ago and have been listening to the Melvins on my VCs. This amp really makes me smile. Is it as crisp, separated and detailed as an LTA MZ3 for example, no, but it is holographic, meaty, and not so syrupy or slow as to take anything away from faster tracks.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #148 of 1,490
Mine just arrived. I got it fired up about an hour ago and have been listening to the Melvins on my VCs. This amp really makes me smile. Is it as crisp, separated and detailed as an LTA MZ3 for example, no, but it is holographic, meaty, and not so syrupy or slow as to take anything away from faster tracks.
When you eventually get to it, could you tell me how the FV pairs with your Gjallarhorn (and other Kennerton headphones)? Contemplating on getting this, but I'm not sure if it would pair with my GH40 which would be a dealbreaker.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #149 of 1,490
Good to see you like it with the VC. That’s my go-to headphone and the one I am most hopeful will perform well.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #150 of 1,490
When you eventually get to it, could you tell me how the FV pairs with your Gjallarhorn (and other Kennerton headphones)? Contemplating on getting this, but I'm not sure if it would pair with my GH40 which would be a dealbreaker.
Standby. I’m trying the Vali and Gjallarhorn this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back