Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #106 of 1,487
Interesting but I’m hesitant to burn through an octet of 6SN7s given shrinking inventory of NOS tubes of that type.
🤣🤣…if you get an octet of 6J5+6J5 —> 6SN7 adapters (from @Deyan !!), you could have 16 CJ5s atop the SFV - plus the two input tubes!

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #107 of 1,487
🤣🤣…if you get an octet of 6J5+6J5 —> 6SN7 adapters (from @Deyan !!), you could have 16 CJ5s atop the SFV - plus the two input tubes!
I hope Deyan can make one of these to go along with the adapters. :smile:

1656734256088.png

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #108 of 1,487
I was going to buy an Auris HA-2SF literally today, then I heard about the Folkvangr (on the way to the store) and arrived to tell my audio distributor that the Auris would have to wait (I think they weren't too pleased about that. Felt a bit bad about it, but what is one to do?)

Once upon a time, I bought the only amp I've had so far, the venerable Bryston BHA-1. Super clean, transparent, powerful. Then I got a Lyr 3 for my gaming rig and I was surprised I couldn't tell the difference (the BHA-1 is a ~2k amp) so I decided to jump into the tube world but, being cautious, I picked the Auris because its profile sits kind of in between, and "full" tube amps were north of 5K.

I wanted something more exciting than just 'transparent'.

After seeing the Folkvangr, I thought "This is too crazy not to give it a try" so I ordered mine (on the way back from the store) and I plan to drive my HE1000se's and Klipsch HP-3 with it. If you want the honest review of someone who has never ever heard how a tube amp sounds like, stay tuned. So far I'm thinking it's going to be like that time I got a pair of Fostex TH900's and everything just sounded more exciting through them, even though I could definitely tell they were tinting the sound.

I'm also hoping this tube rolling thing is not too much of a slippery slope...
You made the right choice. 6n6ps are amazing power tubes. I honestly think the 6n1p is going to sound the best with this amp, but we'll have to see. I'll be experimenting with tons of gain tubes before I go to the Phoenix meet up in September. I'll be bringing Yggy and Folkvangr with me.

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #109 of 1,487
I can almost guarantee you'll get a worse sounding amp by replacing the 6n6p's. One of the few Russian tubes that isn't a ripoff of a Western tube. Very good sounding.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #110 of 1,487
I can almost guarantee you'll get a worse sounding amp by replacing the 6n6p's. One of the few Russian tubes that isn't a ripoff of a Western tube. Very good sounding.
I can concur based on my experience with my Valhalla 2. I heard minimal differences between different 6n6p tubes in that amp. I'm expecting similar behavior with FV (when mine arrives). My focus will be on the 6n1p, rolling those will make the biggest change/improvement/degradation of the sound. And will be a heck of a lot less expensive since I only need a matched pair.

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #112 of 1,487
For 6N1P / 6922 type, the Tungsram E88CC are excellent in Valhalla 2 (and other h/p/a: Woo WA2, Woo WA3).

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #113 of 1,487
Too bad the FV doesn’t need a rectifier tube otherwise we could literally “take it to 11”.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #114 of 1,487
I have the Lyr3 since introduction, and have rolled a few tubes through it with some nice results. And I have also tried a few with the Vali2+. Very convenient not having to worry about tube matching with any of them. But, with the Folkvangr matched tubes are now required (albeit only for the front pair). So…

Casually searching eBay for some tubes to roll. Some sellers, very inconveniently, just say “matched pair” not giving any more information on what they were matched by, nor any values. Is there any idea to ask for that or just Avoid? What’s the most important matching criteria to look for?

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #115 of 1,487
with the impedance multiplier it should work with headphones under 50 ohms. Provided they are somewhat efficient. They show a DCA Stealth in the marketing, I will try mine with it when the amp arrives. Hopefully the LCD4 pairs well. Also Jason mentioned he uses Grado headphones with it. They are 32 ohms. 99.8 db
I wonder how the lcd-X would sound

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #116 of 1,487
Not to worry. It's still possible to empty the wallet. :laughing:

I have a bunch of these old Fotons. I would not waste your money. These real old tubes are often used and there are many sellers who sell them as new to the unsuspecting person who cannot test them. This is often the rare old tubes, as almost all of them were used and the Russians and they did not have big stockpiles of these early tubes. All 6n6p sound the same to me. If there is a difference, I don't really notice.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #117 of 1,487

This is true! 6n6p has no real equivalent. 6h30pi is somewhat similar, but draws significantly more heater current if I remember correctly. That would be VERY bad for the transformer as these tubes take lots of heater current to lower output impedance.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #118 of 1,487
I have a bunch of these old Fotons. I would not waste your money. These real old tubes are often used and there are many sellers who sell them as new to the unsuspecting person who cannot test them. This is often the rare old tubes, as almost all of them were used and the Russians and they did not have big stockpiles of these early tubes. All 6n6p sound the same to me. If there is a difference, I don't really notice.
The two lots I've purchased (10 in each lot) have tested nicely at NOS levels with the exception of one tube that had very high interelement leakage. In fact as a group, these have tested better than a lot of the 6N8S's I've purchased. If they are used, they aren't used much.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #119 of 1,487
Sorry....double posted somehow. Deleted.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #120 of 1,487
The two lots I've purchased (10 in each lot) have tested nicely at NOS levels with the exception of one tube that had very high interelement leakage. In fact as a group, these have tested better than a lot of the 6N8S's I've purchased. If they are used, they aren't used much.

I've had around 4 transactions were tubes were listed as new and got used ones. Most Ukrainian and Russian purchases I have made have made have been fine. Only 2 I really cared about, as most of the Russian tubes I've got have been super cheap. The two I fought was for some metal base MELZ 6n9s tubes from two sellers. They were listed as new and looked new with good test results. When I tested the emissions they were really weak from a long life of use and a nasty fight ensued to get a refund. A pissed off Ukrainian is not fun to deal with; Russia is finding that out! :smiling_imp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back