Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #541 of 1,490
@DougD Ah, then there's hope. Mine was ordered just past 1 p.m., so fingers crossed. Hope you get yours soon!
Yes, there is hope!

Mine has an ETA of 6 days. Coast-to-coast is a long truck ride.

Unfortunately I think I have already solved my "how to I position and connect everything with this new box to add to the rack" problem. So the wait will be semi-tortuous. But no worse that what we've already been through.

But new units arriving in the hands of new listeners should re-vitalize this thread in a couple of weeks.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #544 of 1,490
mine was 7/19, still no updates
I’m sorry it’s been such a long wait. I think you’ll probably find it worthwhile though.

Tonight I put on one of my favorite albums for the first time with the Folkvangr and it was sublime. Crystal clear, detailed mids, enveloping soundstage, perfect treble, and so musical.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #545 of 1,490
Well dammit!

I guess I’m glad I’m lazy and haven’t sold my Woo yet. The Folkvangr has started shutting itself down after about 10 minutes of operation. I swapped in a full fresh set of tubes and it didn’t change anything. The rest of the chain works fine.

Anyway, I reached out to Schiit customer service for warranty repair.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #546 of 1,490
Well dammit!

I guess I’m glad I’m lazy and haven’t sold my Woo yet. The Folkvangr has started shutting itself down after about 10 minutes of operation. I swapped in a full fresh set of tubes and it didn’t change anything. The rest of the chain works fine.

I am sorry to hear that. Tubes can be finicky enough; it’s a sad state when the amp gets petulant. ☹️😢🤬

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #547 of 1,490
Well dammit!

Sorry to hear that too! Let us know what happens

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #548 of 1,490
Thanks guys. I’m sure it will work itself out. I’m just bummed I won’t be listening to it for what will likely be weeks and possibly months if whatever component failed isn’t in stock.

On the bright side, I’m enjoying listening to the Woo. It has that distinctive SET transformer coupled sound and slams like a beast.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #551 of 1,490
Here’s a weird one for the experts (and maybe @Jason Stoddard ):

A couple days ago my FV started shutting off the audio and pre- outs. Turning off the unit and turning it back on would reset the outs for about 15 minutes then it would shut down again. I didn’t wait that long before turning it back on to reset whatever tripped (1 minute to about 20 minutes) but it was pretty consistent at shutting down 10-15 minutes after turning it back on, even after a complete tube change out.

I sent a message to Schiit and I’m waiting for an RA, but last night I missed listening to my FV so I turned it on and I figured I’d listen until it shut itself down. I listened for over 3 hours with no problems at all. Ambient temperature was about the same at 70 F, volume the same at about 70 dB, headphone and source the same, etc. The only thing different: Before it started tripping it had been on about 24 hours (forgot to turn it off before going to bed).

It seems to be at stable temperature within a couple hours so the only thing I can think is power quality was way off when it was tripping out. How likely is this? None of the other electronics (including the streamer, BF2, Saga) had any problems. I don’t think cooling is an issue- plenty of ventilation clearance
AB50B256-BB2E-49B0-9DC7-A30F18D57081.jpeg

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #552 of 1,490
I never leave my tube amps on over night. Mostly to save the tubes, but some of my amps warn against using them over about 6 hours. I know Jason said you could leave it on, but I think you might be on to something. Let us know if it starts shutting off after a few hours. I'm curious now.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #553 of 1,490
Here’s a weird one for the experts (and maybe @Jason Stoddard ):

A couple days ago my FV started shutting off the audio and pre- outs. Turning off the unit and turning it back on would reset the outs for about 15 minutes then it would shut down again. I didn’t wait that long before turning it back on to reset whatever tripped (1 minute to about 20 minutes) but it was pretty consistent at shutting down 10-15 minutes after turning it back on, even after a complete tube change out.

I sent a message to Schiit and I’m waiting for an RA, but last night I missed listening to my FV so I turned it on and I figured I’d listen until it shut itself down. I listened for over 3 hours with no problems at all. Ambient temperature was about the same at 70 F, volume the same at about 70 dB, headphone and source the same, etc. The only thing different: Before it started tripping it had been on about 24 hours (forgot to turn it off before going to bed).

It seems to be at stable temperature within a couple hours so the only thing I can think is power quality was way off when it was tripping out. How likely is this? None of the other electronics (including the streamer, BF2, Saga) had any problems. I don’t think cooling is an issue- plenty of ventilation clearance
Do you have the FV plugged directly into the wall socket or into any form of power conditioner (strip / component)?….there are ten tubes that need to get to stable operating conditions - any electrical ‘hiccups’ might (?) wreak havoc…🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #554 of 1,490
Anyone know if you can run original 6SN7GT (not GTA or B) via adapter in the 6922 compatible sockets?

The GTs have lower specs:
6SN7GT max plate voltage = 300v Plate dissipation (max) 2.5w (each plate)
6SN7GTA or B = 450v 5.0w each or combined 7.5w

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #555 of 1,490
I haven’t had my FV on for as much as 24+ hours, but when working from home a couple of days I had it on from early morning throughout the work day and then until late at night, about 18 hours per day for two days in a row. Ambient temperature around 28-29 C (80-83 F), with no issues. Power plugged straight into the wall via extension cord shared with Gungnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back