Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #121 of 1,112
IIRC, your V-link is the Musical Fidelity V-link from some years ago. If I were to hazard a guess, Eitr will quite possibly blow it into the weeds, sound quality-wise. They pulled out all the stops on Eitr, most notably using transformers (!) instead of optocouplers to obtain isolation for the USB interface, a super clean linear power supply, with significant isolation from the signal path from the ground plane.

@Puma Cat -
Thanks for your input. Yes the V-Link 192 is a 3rd gen USB/SPDIF converter from Musical Fidelity. It was a well-regarded "budget" ($400) converter when introduced (see J Darko's Computer Audiophile review). So far as I know it does provide galvanic isolation and utilizes transformers (at least, transformers are mentioned in the Dark review). Darko does however also mention use of "two fairly average" fixed oscillators. I'd certainly hope Schiit's current "Gen 5" take on USB would improve on what MF had implemented 5+ years ago. I'm thinking I'll have to breakdown and try an Eitr despite having 2 V-Link 192s in house. Worst case I'm out out $27 + shipping. On the other hand, maybe it will be as transformative as the MB upgrade to the Gungnir - though it is hard to "see" how things could sound any better....yet they always seem to find a way with the right gear.

@dmhenley -
Do house rules allow you to post a link to your blog? If it's posted earlier, sorry - I missed it.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #124 of 1,112
@Puma Cat -
Thanks for your input. Yes the V-Link 192 is a 3rd gen USB/SPDIF converter from Musical Fidelity. It was a well-regarded "budget" ($400) converter when introduced (see J Darko's Computer Audiophile review). So far as I know it does provide galvanic isolation and utilizes transformers (at least, transformers are mentioned in the Dark review). Darko does however also mention use of "two fairly average" fixed oscillators. I'd certainly hope Schiit's current "Gen 5" take on USB would improve on what MF had implemented 5+ years ago. I'm thinking I'll have to breakdown and try an Eitr despite having 2 V-Link 192s in house. Worst case I'm out out $27 + shipping. On the other hand, maybe it will be as transformative as the MB upgrade to the Gungnir - though it is hard to "see" how things could sound any better....yet they always seem to find a way with the right gear.

Things can ALWAYS sound better, just depends on how much you're willing to spend...I think you'd be very happy with Eitr.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #129 of 1,112
How long should burn in take for the new Schiit Gen 5 board?

Yggy install took 20 minutes (going real slow)

Mine still running in after 100hr mark.
The sibilance has subsided but still not as smooth as the eitr at 100hr mark.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #130 of 1,112
Gen 5 upgrade with Mac mini ...

Using an older model Mac mini and it is so slow .... what settings do I make? ... I can't get any audio output to my Gundnir

Everything works fine on my windows 10 desktop

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #131 of 1,112
So .... I remember reading back a bit

using these new Gen 5 boards or an Eitr ... there is no SQ difference if the USB source is an old Mac Mini or something new like a UltraRendu?

Is that still a majority consensus? An upgraded source would not make things better?

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #132 of 1,112

using these new Gen 5 boards or an Eitr ... there is no SQ difference if the USB source is an old Mac Mini or something new like a UltraRendu?

Is that still a majority consensus? An upgraded source would not make things better?
I don't know if using a Rendu in conjunction with Gen 5 USB or Eitr would result in an (additional) improvement in sound quality. Schiit is implying "between the lines" with Gen 5 USB/Eitr, all the various USB decrapifiers, regenerators/reclockers are no longer necessary, and some end-user folks are also of that view, but I not seen anyone do an actual "experiment" comparing with and without, for that's worth.

As I've mentioned here before, there two major advantages using the Rendu that still hold: 1) being to get the very noisy, hashy, grungy computer running as your music server out your audio rack and relocate it somewhere much farther away, which will lower overall noise floor of your system and 2) allow you have a Roon endpoint. Both of which are a big plus for me. For me, there is a 3rd advantage, I can connect my Mac Mini to my network via Ethernet to my network router, which has resulted in significantly more stable network connections to the Mini via devices e.g. my Macbook Pro or iPad running Roon in remote mode or when screen sharing. When my Mac Mini was on WiFi, the damned Xfinity WiFi throughout the neighborhood kept bumping the Mini off it's own network.

So, for me, the Rendu is staying. I would keep it if the only advantage it provided was allowing my system to have a Roon endpoint, but others will have to decide for themselves what constitutes a value proposition for them.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #133 of 1,112
Gen 5 upgrade with Mac mini ...

Using an older model Mac mini and it is so slow .... what settings do I make? ... I can't get any audio output to my Gundnir

Everything works fine on my windows 10 desktop
Have you set up the output to be the DAC you're using in the Sound control panel and also configured the Audio Midi Setup app? You have to tell the Mac what device is outputting sound and then configure the bit rate/bit depth in Audio Midi setup..

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #134 of 1,112

My desktop and RPi3 as source has drastic SQ difference.
Desktop is much better. RPi3 with IFI usb power produces muffled, less dynamic music in comparison.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #135 of 1,112
Couldn't wait to order the Eitr. Figured I would get an order in before the weekend in hope of receiving it this week (wk of Sept 18). Placed the order last Fri 9/15 in the AM. Schiit replied a few hours later with email saying it had been shipped. It arrived today Mon 9/18. I was impressed with their speediness (and as is usually the case) w/USPS. From Calif to PA over a weekend.

Got the Eitr installed at ~1PM this afternoon. Started playing music through it a few minutes later. Tried at first to use only the signal leg of the Douk Mall split USB I'd been using with the V-Link 192. Disconnected the power leg from the 5V Enercell. Eitr didn't like that. Power LED would light briefly then go out. Replaced the Douk Mall cable with a 2 meter length of Kimber USB that I had (think it is silver plated...not solid silver). That got things working although changing out the USB cable introduced another variable I was trying to avoid.

Aries Mini recognized the Eitr it without any prompting on my part. Been playing various ripped CDs that are well known to me. My immediate impression vs the V-Link was of a more relaxed, "smoother" sound. I generally attribute this quality to a reduction in "noise" or "distortion". Overall I did not think the impact of the Eitr was that significant...certainly not "night and day" and less than what IC changes have produced. BUT I often have to live with things a while to really appreciate a benefit. Must note too that Initially treble seemed a bit rolled off and sound volume lower at a given setting with the Eitr. Treble roll-off not surprising with new gear plus the Kimber USB had been coiled up and unused for months. Also did unplug and re-route the digital coax between Gungnir and Eitr. Not sure what to think about the effect on SPL.

It's now been about 4 hours since powering up. Volume response seems normal. Treble extension is restored and things have opened up. Always difficult to say how much "expectation bias" distorts impressions but I think imaging is more precise and stage depth has improved. The impression of a more "relaxed" less fatiguing sound continues. After a few days with the Eitr, I plan to reinstall the V-Link and Douk Mall cable and listen with them back in. See if things sort of "collapse". I had made some minor changes to speaker toe in before the Eitr was installed. Want to rule that out as a contributor. Definitely enjoying how things sound but also aware that knowing a new piece has been installed can contribute to some self-delusion. The proof will be how much the Eitr is missed after switching back to the V-Link.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back