Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #962 of 1,112
Just got mine from Schiit B-stock. Being lazy I do not want to go thru all pages of this thread. Short summary, I really like it. It takes the harshness off the music when I added the Eitr to the chain.

The question: Has anybody experienced a slight loss of dynamics when adding the Eitr and playing "crappy" recordings? I only experienced this on very few songs and these were recently released popular songs so I suspect the recordings weren't particularly great. It seems that my system, with the Eitr added, is a just a little less forgiving than before.

I do like the sound with the Eitr in the chain but I thought I'd ask if anybody has experienced something similar.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #963 of 1,112
Sad it's discontinued, I remember really liking it and wrongfully compared it to the Topping D10 as a tool to clean up USB signal. Some tracks were clearly better off on the EITR, just bought one (again) for half the usual cost, look up the deals/Bstock section of they're site.

https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #964 of 1,112
Sad it's discontinued, I remember really liking it and wrongfully compared it to the Topping D10 as a tool to clean up USB signal. Some tracks were clearly better off on the EITR, just bought one (again) for half the usual cost, look up the deals/Bstock section of they're site.

https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

The Modi Multibit sounds much better with the Eitr in the chain; wish they'd come out with a Unison USB Modi Multibit.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #965 of 1,112
The Modi Multibit sounds much better with the Eitr in the chain; wish they'd come out with a Unison USB Modi Multibit.
+1

I'm keen to get a "starter" desktop DAC/AMP combo from Schiit, and I've pretty much settled on the Vali2, 'cause its a good price and for messing around with tubes.

But the DAC piece has got my brain twisted in a pretzel. On the one hand everyone raves about MultiBit vs D/S, so it would make sense to pair the Vali with a Mimby. But then I read these comments about needing some extra bit of hardware to help clean up the USB. And then I read about Schiit's Unison USB which is meant to do away with the USB decrapifiers, so that sounds like something I want. But at the moment the only way to get that AND Multibit is to go big $$ on Bifrost2, which I'm not going to spend.

IF there was a "Modius Multibit" or other low-end MB DAC with Unison USB for $349 or $399 I'd be a perfect customer for it.

But there isn't so I'll probably get a $199 Modius instead, so Schiit is leaving $$ on the table. Or maybe they're smarter than that and figure I'll just buy another of their more expensive DACs once I'm hooked on their schiit...

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #966 of 1,112
+1

I'm keen to get a "starter" desktop DAC/AMP combo from Schiit, and I've pretty much settled on the Vali2, 'cause its a good price and for messing around with tubes.

But the DAC piece has got my brain twisted in a pretzel. On the one hand everyone raves about MultiBit vs D/S, so it would make sense to pair the Vali with a Mimby. But then I read these comments about needing some extra bit of hardware to help clean up the USB. And then I read about Schiit's Unison USB which is meant to do away with the USB decrapifiers, so that sounds like something I want. But at the moment the only way to get that AND Multibit is to go big $$ on Bifrost2, which I'm not going to spend.

IF there was a "Modius Multibit" or other low-end MB DAC with Unison USB for $349 or $399 I'd be a perfect customer for it.

But there isn't so I'll probably get a $199 Modius instead, so Schiit is leaving $$ on the table. Or maybe they're smarter than that and figure I'll just buy another of their more expensive DACs once I'm hooked on their schiit...

There's a glaring omission in their lineup that Modi Multibit doesn't have Unison. Only time will tell if they correct that.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #968 of 1,112
My Eitr suddenly started flashing the LED light and not showing up in my sound preferences on my iMac. It's been working fine for a couple of years now so I was wondering if anyone else has had USB connection issues with the latest mac updates? I changed USB ports, which shouldn't matter but does for some things photo or sound related. I pulled the power and cycled it off/on since that fixed other problems like the occasional ringing echo that pops up once a year or so. That didn't work either. Edit: Also tried changing USB cables and using a laptop with a different OS version. LED keeps flashing which means it can't connect to USB. I emailed Schiit support but if this has happened to anyone here and you have a fix let me know.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #969 of 1,112
My Eitr suddenly started flashing the LED light and not showing up in my sound preferences on my iMac. It's been working fine for a couple of years now so I was wondering if anyone else has had USB connection issues with the latest mac updates? I changed USB ports, which shouldn't matter but does for some things photo or sound related. I pulled the power and cycled it off/on since that fixed other problems like the occasional ringing echo that pops up once a year or so. That didn't work either.

I have no problem on Catalina 10.15.6.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #970 of 1,112
I have no problem on Catalina 10.15.6.
Thanks RickB. It's good to know it's not an across the board USB on Mac issue. That takes one troubleshooting item off the list.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #971 of 1,112
Sorry guys if it is already answered, can't read the whole thread (chronic eye strain), but can you suggest some similar USB to SPDIF/coax converters like the Eitr or Topping D10, hopefully for 50$ or less, but as clean as those? I really don't need any functionality, just as clean USB to SPDIF/coax conversion as possible, nothing else. Maybe the D10 is my cheapest option?

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #972 of 1,112
Sorry guys if it is already answered, can't read the whole thread (chronic eye strain), but can you suggest some similar USB to SPDIF/coax converters like the Eitr or Topping D10, hopefully for 50$ or less, but as clean as those? I really don't need any functionality, just as clean USB to SPDIF/coax conversion as possible, nothing else. Maybe the D10 is my cheapest option?
I believe there's a closeout eitr available on schiits b-stock page currently. It's under $100 I believe

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #974 of 1,112
Is there a cheap and easy way to connect an Eitr to two DACs, at the same time and without degrading the signal? I'd like to only have one Device presented to my Laptop and Windows, so I don't have to keep changing the Output Device and not have to swap SPDIF cables.

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #975 of 1,112
Is there a cheap and easy way to connect an Eitr to two DACs, at the same time and without degrading the signal? I'd like to only have one Device presented to my Laptop and Windows, so I don't have to keep changing the Output Device and not have to swap SPDIF cables.
I believe you can connect Eitr output to one dac spdif coax and another dac with optical at the same time. I have mine connected to both inputs on the same dac and can switch from coax to optical midstream. My Mac only sees the eitr whichever dac input chosen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back