Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,136 of 3,339
Quote:
I remember my Bifrost would click 'fairly' constantly. Like, when pausing a song to watch a Youtube vid, click, click.
However this was its normal operation.

If you're experiencing "normal clicking" within play/pause, it might be annoying but normal. The clicking when switching songs
though does sound suspect. Definitely contact Jason and see what's up.

Just sent him an e-mail.  Thanks. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #3,137 of 3,339
Are there any electrolytic capacitors in the line signal on the Gungnir or Mjolnir?

Planning to change them to Elna Silmic II's and change out the XLR Ports with Cardas Rhodium/Gold.
The red organic capacitor Nichicon FP is good, so there's no point in changing out those.

Tim

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,138 of 3,339
Quote:
Just got my Bifrost today and have a few questions for you guys

1) I get no sound when trying to set windows to either 16/192 or 24/192 using a Toslink SPDIF cable.  Everything up to 24/96 works fine.  Is my cable the problem (cheap amazon one to get me started) or am is there something else I'm missing?
2) My Bifrost clicks.  A lot.  It clicks changing folders in windows and every time I play a different song.  Is this normal behavior and something I'll just have to get used to?  I know that it clicks, but this seems excessive.  The songs are all the same sample rate btw.

Thanks

My understanding (and experience) seems contrary to others here on question 2. As far as I'm aware Bifrost will click once when audio stops and once more when it starts (when using optical). This means you'll get two clicks whenever a Windows sound plays, two clicks between tracks (at least with foobar2000 that was my experience regardless of sample rate), etc.

I believe with foobar2000 at least when a track ends there is a small gap before it starts sending the next track's data, so I always got two clicks in rapid succession.

Obviously, if you have music playing you shouldn't get any clicks in the middle of a song (and that'd likely indicate an actual problem), but everything you've described sounds normal.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,139 of 3,339
Quote:

My understanding (and experience) seems contrary to others here on question 2. As far as I'm aware Bifrost will click once when audio stops and once more when it starts (when using optical). This means you'll get two clicks whenever a Windows sound plays, two clicks between tracks (at least with foobar2000 that was my experience regardless of sample rate), etc.

I believe with foobar2000 at least when a track ends there is a small gap before it starts sending the next track's data, so I always got two clicks in rapid succession.

Obviously, if you have music playing you shouldn't get any clicks in the middle of a song (and that'd likely indicate an actual problem), but everything you've described sounds normal.

That's the answer I got from Jason as well.  Apparently it's completely normal with a toslink/coax connection.  Mechanical clicks are something new to me from my DAC so I'll see if I get used to it over the next few days and go from there.

I like how responsive schiit is as a company so I'd like to continue to give them my business.  If it's driving me out of my mind I'll talk to them about the USB version which apparently only clicks when the sample rates change because the data stream is never interrupted.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3,140 of 3,339
Any comparison of the Gungnir DAC to any of the higher end Audio-GD units? I'm thinking about getting a Mjolnir and I wonder if it wouldn't be too much of a compromise to get the Gungnir unit too, in order to have that nice looking stack! 

Quote:
elwappo99 I don't recall any comparisons on head-fi but...why not try google?

Unfortunately, nothing on head-fi or on the internet at large has been posted. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3,141 of 3,339
Quote:

That's the answer I got from Jason as well.  Apparently it's completely normal with a toslink/coax connection.  Mechanical clicks are something new to me from my DAC so I'll see if I get used to it over the next few days and go from there.

I like how responsive schiit is as a company so I'd like to continue to give them my business.  If it's driving me out of my mind I'll talk to them about the USB version which apparently only clicks when the sample rates change because the data stream is never interrupted.

Apparently the DAC chip itself can do the muting (and therefore wouldn't click) but they actually found that a separate muting relay (which is what you hear clicking) worked better. Now, I don't know what "better" is in this context (faster, doesn't affect sound quality, or something else?) but I do recall Jason saying that it was somehow better.

I actually used mine through USB the majority of the time, and the only times it ever clicked was once when I turned it on or off. I was using normal Windows sound output though (at a fixed sample rate); perhaps with changing sample rates it would click occasionally.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3,142 of 3,339
Hi,
I have now used my Gungnir for about 1 week and it sounds awesome everytime i play music, i have an applt tv connected using the fiber optic and the cd player using the coaxial. One thing I noticed that even though music from spotify on higher quality (320 kpbs) is not the same as my music from HDD ripped from cd at 320. The one from cd's sound fuller and with much better detail. Music from cd player is completly different than all others and much better than the rest!!
I hope it helps.
Excuse my english, not an expert on writing posts.
Just enjoy music to the fullest.
Happy listening.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,143 of 3,339
Quote:
Hi,
I have now used my Gungnir for about 1 week and it sounds awesome everytime i play music, i have an applt tv connected using the fiber optic and the cd player using the coaxial. One thing I noticed that even though music from spotify on higher quality (320 kpbs) is not the same as my music from HDD ripped from cd at 320. The one from cd's sound fuller and with much better detail. Music from cd player is completly different than all others and much better than the rest!!
I hope it helps.
Excuse my english, not an expert on writing posts.
Just enjoy music to the fullest.
Happy listening.

Yup! Welcome to Head-Fi. Quality In = Quality Out

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,145 of 3,339
Quote:

It's all the time.  All of my music is 16/44 right now.  I hear a click every time I pause/unpause a song, switch songs, skip ahead in a song, and every time windows plays a sound.  I've disabled windows sounds for now, but it's still pretty obnoxious.  

When songs play straight through and fade there is no clicking.  

Hello, apology for my dumb question. As someone who is interested in some new Schiit gear, I assume when you says `clicks` you mean from within the unit itself?, or in the the actual audio in the headphones?. Noticed the post date, don't suppose anyone could answer?

Recently bought a Asus Essence one, trying to return it to buy something else. I was getting pop/clicks in the audio when switching songs, pause/stop or when audio was cutoff when in games, so this was a worrying question about the Bifrost. Thanks in advance.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3,146 of 3,339
Quote:
Hello, apology for my dumb question. As someone who is interested in some new Schiit gear, I assume when you says `clicks` you mean from within the unit itself?, or in the the actual audio in the headphones?. Noticed the post date, don't suppose anyone could answer?

Recently bought a Asus Essence one, trying to return it to buy something else. I was getting pop/clicks in the audio when switching songs, pause/stop or when audio was cutoff when in games, so this was a worrying question about the Bifrost. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to play with bit/khz in driver settings? Finding 'native' combination may help solve the audio pop/click problem.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #3,147 of 3,339
Quote:

Correct, the device has a muting relay that clicks, it is not through the headphones.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,148 of 3,339
any thoughts on the

UBER ANALOG UPGRADE for the Bifrost?

does it really make a difference? Is it worth it? I am tempted.

EDIT: Just saw i another thread that this option is completely new - so obviously there cannot be any real opinions yet. I had seen the upgrade just by surfing the Schiit website, to see if there is anything new.

Still I do wonder if the difference will be worth it - shipping to europe is not that cheap...

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,149 of 3,339
Until some people have the new Bifrost the only thing I can say is that with the upgrades, the price has moved up to the point it is considerably more costly than its competition (DacMagic ect.) Now the performance might justify that, only time will tell, but it is going to make buying one a harder question to answer in terms of value per dollar.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3,150 of 3,339
Quote:
Until some people have the new Bifrost the only thing I can say is that with the upgrades, the price has moved up to the point it is considerably more costly than its competition (DacMagic ect.) Now the performance might justify that, only time will tell, but it is going to make buying one a harder question to answer in terms of value per dollar.

Hmm, this makes me wonder about the future potential upgrades too. As in, will future upgrades require a continuous price increase on the current price or will the future bifrosts just come stock with upgraded hardware at no extra cost? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back