Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3,106 of 3,339
^ on the contrary. It was the understandable and age-appropriate reaction of an adolescent boy attracted here by the name of the thread!

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,112 of 3,339
Honestly, it's a serious contender for that title. It's very well performing, and is one of the very very few that provides an upgrade path. I've had both Bifrost and its big brother (Gungnir), and the Gungnir IV is a noticeable upgrade to the Bifrost IV. The addition of 176.x support plus isolation seals it. If my DAC's didn't need to play DSD, I'd still still have my Schiits.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,113 of 3,339
Bifrost 4 you say? Didn't know about all different versions. Can you tell us more? What's different about the latest revision? I had one of the very first Bifrost that rolled off the production belt.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,114 of 3,339
Heh - not 'IV' as in '4', but IV as in current/voltage conversion; the analog portion of a DAC circuit. It has very much to do with the sonic signature of a DAC>

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #3,115 of 3,339
Oh...
tongue.gif
 Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #3,116 of 3,339
Can anyone help me out with the optical in on bifrost? I am using a Realtek output from my laptop and set it to spdif. The red light is showing on the end of the cord but when I plug it in no sound comes from the laptop(going to lyr). I set it as default, played with just about every option but no go.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,117 of 3,339
Quote:
Honestly, it's a serious contender for that title. It's very well performing, and is one of the very very few that provides an upgrade path. I've had both Bifrost and its big brother (Gungnir), and the Gungnir IV is a noticeable upgrade to the Bifrost IV. The addition of 176.x support plus isolation seals it. If my DAC's didn't need to play DSD, I'd still still have my Schiits.

I didnt know that the gungnir received an upgrade option :O When was it announced and is it a significant upgrade?

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,118 of 3,339
Quote:
I didnt know that the gungnir received an upgrade option :O When was it announced and is it a significant upgrade?

It's an updated USB module that supports 176.4 and apparently fixes the occasional problems people have been having with Macs through USB. I believe DACs for at least the past few weeks have been shipping with it instead of the old USB card.

The page that I found (that has since been taken down) indicated that it'll be $150 (or $100 if you want to install it yourself) and presumably this also means they're about ready to officially announce it and let people order it separately.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3,120 of 3,339
Just got my Bifrost today and have a few questions for you guys

1) I get no sound when trying to set windows to either 16/192 or 24/192 using a Toslink SPDIF cable.  Everything up to 24/96 works fine.  Is my cable the problem (cheap amazon one to get me started) or am is there something else I'm missing?
2) My Bifrost clicks.  A lot.  It clicks changing folders in windows and every time I play a different song.  Is this normal behavior and something I'll just have to get used to?  I know that it clicks, but this seems excessive.  The songs are all the same sample rate btw.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back