Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3,016 of 3,339
Received it today, and I was rather excited as I tore open the box. This is my largest audio purchase to date. I currently have it playing as I type. I have it hooked to my MacBook Air through USB cable. The Gungnir is hooked to the NAD integrated amp through Blue Jean Cables RCA interconnects. I have my HD600 plugged in to the headphone jack of the NAD amp.

The unit is just beautiful to look at. Clean, modern, and attractive in brushed aluminum. Heavier than I expected, but it has a good place to rest on my desk. 

The resolution is pretty good. I am hearing things that I have never noticed before. I'm finding that all the music I'm listening to has slowed down. Where before the music would just flow through without much notice, I can now analyze each note and fine detail as it passes. I'm also hearing more background noise which is likely from the not so good recordings. 

The sounds of piano and cello are more realistic. I hear the weight of the key strokes and also the twang of the strings. Further, its nice to hear the notes strike and hear it decay over time.

I find that everything in the music is separated quite nicely. There are layers of music that opened up to my ears. This makes it feel like one is within the music and can pick and choose what to focus upon. Never heard anything as good as this before. I feel like I am almost there with some of the music. Quite enjoyable.

Turning the volume up doesn't break up the music and make it sound harsh like it did with my previous Creative X-Fi HD Soundcard. I usually don't turn up the volume too loud, but it's nice to hear the music not lose quality as the volume increases.

The sound is not quite smooth yet. It sounds slightly lean, and there may be an edge to the notes. I would say the Gungnir is very neutral to my ears. It just presents more of the music than I have heard before.

For those that recommended it over the BiFrost, Maxvla and Paradoxper, thanks! It was a hard hit to the wallet, but I think it takes me closer to music nirvana, much much closer i would say. I can't put my headphones down. :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,017 of 3,339
Nice. Glad you are enjoying it. As I said before it is better in every regard, no?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,018 of 3,339
Quote:
Nice. Glad you are enjoying it. As I said before it is better in every regard, no?

It sounds very nice. I haven't listened to the Bifrost to compare, but I am pleased I went with the Gungnir. The music just seems alive and more real then ever before.

One odd thing I noticed was that several minutes ago, I heard a loud high pitch squeal (buzz) coming through the headphones while listening to a classical song. It lasted about five seconds or so. I thought it was within the song, so I rewind the song, but didn't hear it again. It was rather startling to hear at first. Any ideas?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,019 of 3,339
It's a USB thing. Send Jason a PM to ask how best to tackle it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,020 of 3,339
Glad you're enjoying the Gungnir, sjones. I can definitely relate to the music being slowed down, and able to be picked apart note by note. :)

Give it some good burn-in and let things smoothen out. There's nothing exactly
special about the Gungnir, feature wise, etc, however it's an extremely good DAC.

Now ya just gotta upgrade to a balanced amp. 
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3,021 of 3,339
Now ya just gotta upgrade to a balanced amp. 
tongue.gif

There just so happens to be one that looks kind of, sort of, pretty much like, ok well.. identical to the Gungnir :wink:

We did warn you about your wallet when you joined, right?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,022 of 3,339
Quote:
Received it today, and I was rather excited as I tore open the box. This is my largest audio purchase to date. I currently have it playing as I type. I have it hooked to my MacBook Air through USB cable. The Gungnir is hooked to the NAD integrated amp through Blue Jean Cables RCA interconnects. I have my HD600 plugged in to the headphone jack of the NAD amp.

The unit is just beautiful to look at. Clean, modern, and attractive in brushed aluminum. Heavier than I expected, but it has a good place to rest on my desk. 

The resolution is pretty good. I am hearing things that I have never noticed before. I'm finding that all the music I'm listening to has slowed down. Where before the music would just flow through without much notice, I can now analyze each note and fine detail as it passes. I'm also hearing more background noise which is likely from the not so good recordings. 

The sounds of piano and cello are more realistic. I hear the weight of the key strokes and also the twang of the strings. Further, its nice to hear the notes strike and hear it decay over time.

I find that everything in the music is separated quite nicely. There are layers of music that opened up to my ears. This makes it feel like one is within the music and can pick and choose what to focus upon. Never heard anything as good as this before. I feel like I am almost there with some of the music. Quite enjoyable.

Turning the volume up doesn't break up the music and make it sound harsh like it did with my previous Creative X-Fi HD Soundcard. I usually don't turn up the volume too loud, but it's nice to hear the music not lose quality as the volume increases.

The sound is not quite smooth yet. It sounds slightly lean, and there may be an edge to the notes. I would say the Gungnir is very neutral to my ears. It just presents more of the music than I have heard before.

For those that recommended it over the BiFrost, Maxvla and Paradoxper, thanks! It was a hard hit to the wallet, but I think it takes me closer to music nirvana, much much closer i would say. I can't put my headphones down. :)

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,023 of 3,339
Quote:

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3,026 of 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

One odd thing I noticed was that several minutes ago, I heard a loud high pitch squeal (buzz) coming through the headphones while listening to a classical song. It lasted about five seconds or so. I thought it was within the song, so I rewind the song, but didn't hear it again. It was rather startling to hear at first. Any ideas?

I thought this issue was addressed by the update to the usb board?

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3,027 of 3,339
Hey guys, I am thinking about getting a Bifrost with Lyr for a HE500 I want to purchase. Just wondering is it worth getting the USB connection for the Bifrost? if not how do people connect it to their computer?

just wondering since I have never owned a amp or a dac, sorry for noob

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #3,028 of 3,339
Quote:
Hey guys, I am thinking about getting a Bifrost with Lyr for a HE500 I want to purchase. Just wondering is it worth getting the USB connection for the Bifrost? if not how do people connect it to their computer?

just wondering since I have never owned a amp or a dac, sorry for noob

I prefer the USB but others like optical. If you've got the extra $100 for the usb, do it. Also, upgrade the tubes in the Lyr to get the best out of your 500's and the amp. See this thread for more.

USB on bifrost (asynchronous) eliminates jitter. Using usb also means you bypass the onboard soundcard or your computer and all the issues that come with it. However, there are people who prefer the optical digital over usb. But not me.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,029 of 3,339
Quote:
I prefer the USB but others like optical. If you've got the extra $100 for the usb, do it. Also, upgrade the tubes in the Lyr to get the best out of your 500's and the amp. See this thread for more.

USB on bifrost (asynchronous) eliminates jitter. Using usb also means you bypass the onboard soundcard or your computer and all the issues that come with it. However, there are people who prefer the optical digital over usb. But not me.

thanks for the reply

yea I was looking at that thread earlier

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3,030 of 3,339
To further answer your question - usually there are 4 means of getting the audio from your computer to the Dac.
1. USB (my prefered) (Do not use a usb hub)
2. Optical digital (Toslink) (2nd best option as it's not as susceptible to emi but still can have jitter issues and not all computers have optical out.)
3. SPDIF coax digital (Prone to EMI and other noise and jitter from computer internals)
4. Headphone out. (worst case option, you wouldnlt connect this to your dac, just direct to amp)

Most people use a 3rd party media player. Foobar 2000 with wasapi output. Jriver mediacenter and mediamonkey. Itunes is usually a last resort for most people. There are other players that people like but I haven't experienced them so cannot comment on their usefulness/quality.

Also, there is a Lyr for sale in the forums with a bunch of tubes HERE looks likes a decent deal.

Hope this helps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back