Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #2,987 of 3,339
Don't think any hard info on the statement has come out yet other than stay tuned for a groundbreaking non sigma delta whammie of a DAC.  Clearly we are well tuned and eagerly waiting.  Here's to hoping for 2x optical.  Unfortunately an increasing number of consumer devices only offer hdmi and optical these days.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,988 of 3,339
i'm having a real trouble trying to convince myself NOT TO buy NAD M51...
I want a new DAC and i'm tired of waiting

waiting for this Schiit's top DAC seems like eternity

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2,989 of 3,339
Been waiting 2 years for the damn statement to be made. 
redface.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2,990 of 3,339
i'm having a real trouble trying to convince myself NOT TO buy NAD M51...
I want a new DAC and i'm tired of waiting

waiting for this Schiit's top DAC seems like eternity

It's going to be mid to late Q1 2013 at present best guess. If you need something before March, buy something else.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,992 of 3,339
Quote:
Art Dudley found the Dragonfly as good or better than his reference DAC (Wavelength Proton).  RH in TAS gave the Dragonfly a remarkably good review.  I found the Dragon a fairly decent sounding DAC in a remarkably small box.  I just can't report hearing the quality of sound from the Dragonfly reported in many reviews, I think the Schiit Bifrost is much better sounding.  That being said, the Dragonfly is a cool idea and a step up from the soundcard in my PC and Mac computers.

I've never heard the Wavelength Proton, but I have quite a few DACs, including the Bifrost.
I agree entirely with that assessment..... FOR ITS SIZE, the Dragonfly is a very good DAC.
Heck, it fits in your pocket, and has that cool display that changes color to show the bit rate.
I do not, however, think that it is even close to the Bifrost in terms of sound quality.
(Honestly, I prefer the Headstreamer as a DAC/headphone amp - and it's about half the price -
but it's still a lot bigger... too big to fit conveniently in a shirt pocket.)

The only thing that bugs me (sic) about the Dragonfly IS all the hype.
Heck, the FiiO E10 is a step up from your laptop sound card - for $60....
and the Headstreamer is a step up from that - for $135....

There's nothing at all wrong about the Dragonfly but, aside from it's diminutive size, it's not that big a deal.....

Sure, it's "a game changer" - because it'll be found perched next to Photoshop in the software aisle....
and lots of computer type folks will see it, decide it looks cute, buy it, and NOT be disappointed....
but not because it's an exceptional DAC...

kLevkoff

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,993 of 3,339
Quote:
I've never heard the Wavelength Proton, but I have quite a few DACs, including the Bifrost.
I agree entirely with that assessment..... FOR ITS SIZE, the Dragonfly is a very good DAC.
Heck, it fits in your pocket, and has that cool display that changes color to show the bit rate.
I do not, however, think that it is even close to the Bifrost in terms of sound quality.

a friend recently bought a DragonFly and, as we both where curious, we compared it with my Bifrost and... it depends on what "close" means for you. we both agreed that Fio E17 is a small step up from our Macs sound cards, the DragonFly is *miles* away from it and the Bifrost... maybe one Km (actually less) away from the DragonFly

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,994 of 3,339
a dragonfly to a bifrost. wow no comparison.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2,995 of 3,339
Apologies if this has been asked before but I did a few searches and couldn't find anything  (and I haven't used an external DAC before so please forgive the newb question):

For the Bifrost, can two sources (say, a satellite radio tuner and a CD player) be connected to the DAC at the same time so you can use either source without connecting/disconnecting input cables? And if so, is there a risk of damage if both are accidentally on at the same time?  

[Never mind - I see the button on the front to switch between sources]

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,996 of 3,339
Quote:
Apologies if this has been asked before but I did a few searches and couldn't find anything  (and I haven't used an external DAC before so please forgive the newb question):

For the Bifrost, can two sources (say, a satellite radio tuner and a CD player) be connected to the DAC at the same time so you can use either source without connecting/disconnecting input cables? And if so, is there a risk of damage if both are accidentally on at the same time?  

Yes, if they are connected via different inputs. The Bifrost has 3 inputs; coaxial digital, optical digital and optionally, USB. 

You can have something plugged in to all three and use the button on the front to switch between them at any time.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,997 of 3,339
I get the following issue with my Bifrost: when I STOP/PAUSE a song in my software player (Foobar2000) instead of hearing nothing at all (black background), I can hear very quiet ambient irregular noises (silmilar to noise in a radio when searching for radio channels). The noises stop after a few more seconds (sometimes after a bit longer). 
Is it normal thing with Bifrost?
(I use coax input, signal is coming from my PC (USB) through USB/SPDIF converter (JKSPDIF MK3) --> Bifrost)

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2,998 of 3,339
I get the following issue with my Bifrost: when I STOP/PAUSE a song in my software player (Foobar2000) instead of hearing nothing at all (black background), I can hear very quiet ambient irregular noises (silmilar to noise in a radio when searching for radio channels). The noises stop after a few more seconds (sometimes after a bit longer). 
Is it normal thing with Bifrost?
(I use coax input, signal is coming from my PC (USB) through USB/SPDIF converter (JKSPDIF MK3) --> Bifrost)

The Bifrost's muting relay kicks in when there is no signal. It sounds like your USB/SPDIF converter continues sending a faint signal for at least a few seconds after it stops receiving a signal, so the Bifrost has no way of knowing if the signal it's receiving is audio data or general electrical interference.

If you have another source you can try I'd recommend trying that, since it'd probably be an easy way to verify that that's what's happening.

Oh, re-reading, to more directly answer your question, no, that is not normal, but it doesn't sound like it's the Bifrost doing it.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #2,999 of 3,339
Quote:
The Bifrost's muting relay kicks in when there is no signal. It sounds like your USB/SPDIF converter continues sending a faint signal for at least a few seconds after it stops receiving a signal, so the Bifrost has no way of knowing if the signal it's receiving is audio data or general electrical interference.
If you have another source you can try I'd recommend trying that, since it'd probably be an easy way to verify that that's what's happening.
Oh, re-reading, to more directly answer your question, no, that is not normal, but it doesn't sound like it's the Bifrost doing it.

Defiant00, thank you for your answer.
I've just made a test with a borrowed laptop (with Windows XP) and it appears the noises disappeared. 
Why does the problem exist on my main laptop (with Windows 7)?

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3,000 of 3,339
Defiant00, thank you for your answer.
I've just made a test with a borrowed laptop (with Windows XP) and it appears the noises disappeared. 
Why does the problem exist on my main laptop (with Windows 7)?

If you were using the same USB adapter on the other laptop then first thing I'd try is other USB ports on your main laptop. Also try it with the laptop unplugged from the wall to see if that eliminates the problem. I doubt it's Windows version specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back