Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Mar 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2,477 of 3,339
On a Mac, if using optical out, all audio routes through the optical out.  You can't redirect system sounds to the internal speakers and then for example, iTunes to the optical out.  Though you could plug in a separate USB DAC and then route system sounds to it (with some amp/external speaker combo), and dedicate Bifrost optical to music only. 

Quote:
....Or simply isolate seperate the outputs on your computer - one for your music player, one for everything else (windows sounds, games, internet, etc..)?

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2,478 of 3,339
I have a question, if I buy the Bitfrost used, would i still be able to ask Schiit to add the USB support?

and lastly, it seems like no one wants to sell any Bitfrosts cause I can't find any of them used! So if you're in the market of selling that, I don't mind stealing it off you if its a good deal haha

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #2,479 of 3,339
I have a question, if I buy the Bitfrost used, would i still be able to ask Schiit to add the USB support?

and lastly, it seems like no one wants to sell any Bitfrosts cause I can't find any of them used! So if you're in the market of selling that, I don't mind stealing it off you if its a good deal haha

I'd be really surprised if Schitt would'nt upgrade their product for you. I guess you can't find one used because people buy them and like them.:cool:

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,480 of 3,339

Quote:
On a Mac, if using optical out, all audio routes through the optical out.  You can't redirect system sounds to the internal speakers and then for example, iTunes to the optical out.  Though you could plug in a separate USB DAC and then route system sounds to it (with some amp/external speaker combo), and dedicate Bifrost optical to music only. 

Ok, this is going to probably be a dumb question but here goes.

Right now, I have the Bifrost/Lyr combo running off my iMac via Optical. Then I have my Apogee Duet 2 running off USB and this runs my powered speakers. There is no way the Lyr is going to run the speakers, right?

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,481 of 3,339
When the statement DAC comes out, I'll likely be selling mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be a decent number of Bifrost owners willing to do the same.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,482 of 3,339

Quote:

It's an upgradeable, modular piece.  That was the intent.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,483 of 3,339

Well, the Lyr does have RCA outputs that you could simply connect to your powered speakers and use the Lyr as both a headphone amp and 'pre-amp' (with it's own volume control) for your powered speakers.  With your Bifrost continuing to feed the Lyr, in this configuration, you'd simply not use the Apogee anymore as Lyr serves both headphone and pre-amp functions. 

Quote:
Ok, this is going to probably be a dumb question but here goes.

Right now, I have the Bifrost/Lyr combo running off my iMac via Optical. Then I have my Apogee Duet 2 running off USB and this runs my powered speakers. There is no way the Lyr is going to run the speakers, right?

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2,485 of 3,339

Quote:
It's an upgradeable, modular piece.  That was the intent.

Found out they just raised the price of the USB support to $150 instead of $100. Still a really good deal either way considering the price. 

Now instead of any idea buying brand new for $500, i'm going to see if I can find a used one for a lot cheaper haha. Hopefully that statement DAC doesn't come out for a while cause I need to save money for the lyr also haha

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,486 of 3,339

Quote:

Well, the Lyr does have RCA outputs that you could simply connect to your powered speakers and use the Lyr as both a headphone amp and 'pre-amp' (with it's own volume control) for your powered speakers.  With your Bifrost continuing to feed the Lyr, in this configuration, you'd simply not use the Apogee anymore as Lyr serves both headphone and pre-amp functions. 

Thank you. Just tried that and it works great. Now the only problem is when I need to listen late night with no speakers I have to unplug every time. So close but yet so far away...

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2,487 of 3,339
I am sure that there will be some bifrosts for sale at the release of the intermediate dac too.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #2,489 of 3,339
Yes, I'll also likely sell my Bifrost when the statement DAC comes out.

As to the clicking/static issues; My Bifrost clicks only when I turn it off and on. It's a fairly loud click and can be heard even if headphones are not connected. I don't let it bother me as I assume it's just the parts turning on...  Early on I experienced this static issue. (Mac using Clementine or iTunes running via generic USB cable) My static issue would come on in the middle of a track and continue even if I changed tracks for maybe 15-20 seconds and go away. It was incredibly frustrating but it has since subsided. I found that when the static was occurring that if I shifted my USB cord on my iMac that it would disappear. I believe the static I was experiencing to have been related to the placement of the USB cord as it has not occurred in several weeks now since I've last adjusted the USB cable. Regardless, I am now awaiting my siliflex optical cable so that I can run without the need for some super cheap usb cord.

Anyways, that's my $.02. For now, I'm very satisfied with the performance of my Bifrost and I await the launch of the statement DAC. (Though my wallet certainly does not. :p)

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #2,490 of 3,339
Now the only problem is when I need to listen late night with no speakers I have to unplug every time.

Why unplug? Why not use your speakers power switch instead?

I use a Schiit Lyr in a similar setup both as a headphone amplifier and a pre-amp. When I don’t need the loudspeakers, I simply do not turn them on, but leave them connected to the Lyr’s RCA output all the time.

By the way: Did you encounter any hum caused by the Lyr? In my setup I had to add a noise filter.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back