Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Feb 28, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2,357 of 3,339
I've been looking at the spec sheet on this DAC. It has 2VRMS differential drive with 1k load BUT only 100pF load capacitance! This means that the buffer is VERY IMPORTANT in the design. I'm curious about the bal-se conversion. I'm very curious about the buffer then as this would be most important in the design. Does it use op-amps? It's a discrete active buffer? Does it use a transformer for conversion? I'm also curious if a differential output model will be offered considering the DACs output...

PS I'm just a DIYer and no EE so bare with me Jason if I'm incorrect about some details.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2,358 of 3,339
Same here.  It's too bright.  Casting shadows on the wall 
biggrin.gif
     The Bifrost case on mine is darker than the Valhalla.   These ought to keep me until I go to the real Valhalla.  I absolutely love them.   Well, not 'love' but you know what I mean 
tongue.gif

Quote:
My Bifrost light is outshining my Valhalla light lol 

I think my Valhalla must have been an older model, the grey on the steel is a bit darker than the Bifrost

btw, I'm loving the Bifrost :D 

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,359 of 3,339
A friend let me borrow his Emotiva XDA-1 DAC this week, and it's been a decent combo with my Asgard amp. It's footprint is just too damn large.

I was happy enough with the Asgard and customer service from Jason that I blindly (er... deafly?) placed my order today. Hopefully I'll love it just the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,360 of 3,339
Help me make sure I'm not missing anything. I got my Bifrost today and I'm not getting any sound of of the right channel. Left is fine. This is for both USB and Optical. 

My XM6 is working fine via USB. 

If I take the Left output of the Bifrost and plug it into the Right of my Asgard, that works. So I know the Asgard is fine. If take the cable that's working on the left channel and move it to the right output on the Bifrost I get nada.

Can't think of anything else to try.

Jason has been great with getting right back to me. I just want to make doubly sure I'm not being an idiot. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2,361 of 3,339

Unfortunately it sounds like you've tried everything you should; certainly doesn't sound like you've missed any blatant gotchas at least.
Quote:
Help me make sure I'm not missing anything. I got my Bifrost today and I'm not getting any sound of of the right channel. Left is fine. This is for both USB and Optical. 

My XM6 is working fine via USB. 

If I take the Left output of the Bifrost and plug it into the Right of my Asgard, that works. So I know the Asgard is fine. If take the cable that's working on the left channel and move it to the right output on the Bifrost I get nada.

Can't think of anything else to try.

Jason has been great with getting right back to me. I just want to make doubly sure I'm not being an idiot. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,362 of 3,339
Going to try it with my Pure i-20 at work tomorrow. Along with some different interconnects. I've gotten the same result on 3 different computers thus far (Macs and PCs on USB). 

--Edit--

Jason gave the OK for me to ship my unit back. I'm already reimbursed for the return charges and the replacement is going out ASAP. I'm starting to suspect that Jason is either a robot or has an army of clones at his disposal. Either way, stellar customer service. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,363 of 3,339
I am not sure if anyone has seen this yet but I figured I would cross post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

Midrange balanced DAC: solid state, will have balanced and SE outputs, BNC, RCA, TOSLINK, and optional USB inputs. Again, this is a real hardware balanced deal, upgradable a la Bifrost (but with two DAC/analog boards that are different than Bifrost.) There's some real neat trickery in our (REDACTED) section. Sorry to tease, but you'll see what we're talking about soon enough. [...]

And from my readings it is likely to be released along side a mid-tier solid state headphone amp (or the same dimensions) in Q1.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,365 of 3,339
For myself, I'm really wondering what the differences will be between the mid-range balanced DAC and the statement DAC.

I will upgrade to one of those or the new Woo but I must say there are quite a bit to choose from in the $500 - $1500 category. I don't want to pay for an integrated headamp that I will never use and want balanced outputs. I am quite satisfied with what I am using now but I know there is better out there.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2,366 of 3,339

Quote:
Lol. Just listen to it and turn it off when you're done. The Bifrost (and I've had 2) does not magically transform with burn in. It does sound less etched over time, but it's subtle and does not require hundreds of hours to eventuate.

Agreed. Mine has less than 30 hours on it and it is outperforming my Cambridge Audio 640 v2 CDp which incorporates dual differential Wolfson DAC's.

No wimpy LF found by my ears.

I'm having a ball!

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #2,367 of 3,339

STATUS: All backorders cleared. Current orders ship in 24-72 hours.

YAY!!! Balanced DACs/Amps here we come :D

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #2,368 of 3,339

Quote:
I am not sure if anyone has seen this yet but I figured I would cross post it.

And from my readings it is likely to be released along side a mid-tier solid state headphone amp (or the same dimensions) in Q1.

Unlikely to be quarter 1 now though after the Bifrost production problems. I would guess that we may see an announcement by the end of March with shipping maybe in the middle of April for the mid range stuff.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,369 of 3,339
Not so much Bifrost production problems, but responding to the incredible demand. Takes a while to make nearly 1500 Bifrosts. Take care how you word stuff. :)

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2,370 of 3,339
My Bifrost should be delivered today, exactly as estimated on their web site last week.  (orders would be delivered in about a week).

I see now they are saying the backlog is cleared and orders will be shipped in 24-72 hours.

That's pretty good performance if you ask me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back