Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,351 of 3,339
One of the reasons we like the AKM4399 (and 4396) is that they use switched-capacitor filters to provide out of band noise performance that is more similar to a multibit DAC. As far as we know, they're unique in this regard. They're still delta-sigma, but they're a rather nice implementation of delta-sigma.

It's also a little ironic. One of the senior projects I did way back when I was getting my EE degree was a switched-capacitor, frequency-sensing noise gate for analog noise reduction. This was before the days that FFT and DSP became inexpensive enough to use broadly. It's neat to see that switched capacitor filters still have practical applications. Oh, the days of Z-domain analysis!

Quote:
I'd wager that the reason the NFB2 sounds dark is that Kingwa is not fond of the upper frequency tizziness that plagues sigma-delta dacs (especially as the pcm1704 and ESS chips were problematic for him supply/design wise). I'm very curious if the Bifrost AKM chip (4399?) manages to avoid this sound signature. I have a Dacport LX with the AKM 4396 multibit and it sounds very similar to pcm1704/AD1865 = natural and no grating top end.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,352 of 3,339
What are those sexy feet on your units there?  If I may ask.  I have to use some with my Lyr but yours are far more stylish even if possibly more pricey.

Quote:
Lookee what FedEx delivered a whole day early......

Listening now...initial impressions are quite positive.  I won't mistake my LCD-2's for HD-800's in terms of soundstaging, but it's definitely wider with the Bifrost.  More to follow once it's burned in and I listen a bit.

Edit: to be clear, I've had the Lyr for quite some time...2nd run, before the relay was added.  Just the Bifrost is new.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,354 of 3,339
I have an Audio-GD NFB-12 DAC and Bottlehead SEX amp (with upgraded transformers, resistors and caps) wired to drive Orthos off the speaker taps.  That's about $750 plus build labour + upgrades.  That's gotta be AT LEAST a $900 comparable setup to the $900 Lyr/Bifrost.  I'm going to do an extensive comparison in the coming days...with the RWA Isabellina in there as a higher priced 'reference'. 

I'll use Senn 590's, HE-500's and LCD-2', because, well.......that's all I have. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,355 of 3,339
BTW...I got not power cable in the box...is that normal? Got one with the Lyr...none with the Bifrost.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,356 of 3,339

Quote:
BTW...I got not power cable in the box...is that normal? Got one with the Lyr...none with the Bifrost.

You should have gotten a power cord, but no other cables. We'll send you one!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,357 of 3,339
Hi, 
Does anyone know where to download the windows 7 driver for this product?  The website says that it will be downloadable from the site but I can't find it anywhere

Nevermind I read the manual

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #1,358 of 3,339

Quote:
I'd wager that the reason the NFB2 sounds dark is that Kingwa is not fond of the upper frequency tizziness that plagues sigma-delta dacs (especially as the pcm1704 and ESS chips were problematic for him supply/design wise). I'm very curious if the Bifrost AKM chip (4399?) manages to avoid this sound signature. I have a Dacport LX with the AKM 4396 multibit and it sounds very similar to pcm1704/AD1865 = natural and no grating top end.

The ESS shouldn't be a supply issue, Kingwa's range of Sabre isn't as popular compared to the WM chips.  His Sabre range was up against the EE mini max that is a mere $800US at the time, not to mention the WFSs at $1495 with far better PSU filtering and less weigh and no wait time, & then theres the Buffolos from TPA, These are off the shelf items apart from TPA and Audio gd had all sorts of supply issues that are well documented in other threads. 

Wushuliu,
you done a comparision with the PCM 1704 to a Sabre implemtation?

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,360 of 3,339
[size=medium]This Schiit is killing me… So my USB Bitfrost arrived today, but unfortunately I’m 75 miles away and won’t be home before Friday.  I bought to use in a second system as a direct replacement for a Pacific Valve’s Fathom.  The Fathom ($299 list, similar to Valab) uses I2S for the USB transmission and has been doing a great job.  At times the Fathom sounds scary real, being feed from a Mac Mini into a VTL IT-85 intergraded tube amp, which drives Dynaudio Special 25 speakers.    (I bought the Bitfrost for kicks and giggles, but mostly I like their reputation and attitude.)  Jason you guy's rock!!![/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, at this rate I’ll set it up on Saturday and let it run in until I return from work the following Thursday.  That's a bit over 100 hours of break in.  I can't wait; and it seems like it’s a lifetime away (talk about anticipation.)[/size]

[size=medium]Depending upon how the Bitfrost does in the bedroom, I may demo it in the living room rig where it will compete with my Levinson 360s (non USB, being driven by a Mac Mini with the M2tech Evo in the middle).[/size]

[size=medium]Look for more in a week or so.[/size]
[size=medium]Tony[/size]

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,361 of 3,339
Since I got my UERM I'm noticing low level noise over my coaxial spdif from my on board audio. This happens in the same way for my Dacmagic so its not an issue with the Bifrost. Any suggestions on a cure? Get a different sound card or get the usb module for the Bifrost or something else?

I never noticed this before because my headphones previously weren't sensitive enough to pick it up.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,362 of 3,339

Quote:
[size=medium]This Schiit is killing me… So my USB Bitfrost arrived today, but unfortunately I’m 75 miles away and won’t be home before Friday.  I bought to use in a second system as a direct replacement for a Pacific Valve’s Fathom.  The Fathom ($299 list, similar to Valab) uses I2S for the USB transmission and has been doing a great job.  At times the Fathom sounds scary real, being feed from a Mac Mini into a VTL IT-85 intergraded tube amp, which drives Dynaudio Special 25 speakers.    (I bought the Bitfrost for kicks and giggles, but mostly I like their reputation and attitude.)  Jason you guy's rock!!![/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, at this rate I’ll set it up on Saturday and let it run in until I return from work the following Thursday.  That's a bit over 100 hours of break in.  I can't wait; and it seems like it’s a lifetime away (talk about anticipation.)[/size]

[size=medium]Depending upon how the Bitfrost does in the bedroom, I may demo it in the living room rig where it will compete with my Levinson 360s (non USB, being driven by a Mac Mini with the M2tech Evo in the middle).[/size]

[size=medium]Look for more in a week or so.[/size]
[size=medium]Tony[/size]

Look forward to hearing what you think about it. Btw, what was your order number, Im just out here in the peanut gallery dying to get my shipping notice.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,363 of 3,339
My Bifrost is finally being shipped out today. Huge thanks to Rina, Jason and Michael. I know that my order is a little bit more complicated than others. :wink:

anyway, i know that a lot of ppl are interested in the comparison between NFB-3 and Bifrost. i will def report back. 

Now i can see my HE-6 and EF6 (the new Hifiman amp) smiling... ^_^

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,364 of 3,339

Quote:
Since I got my UERM I'm noticing low level noise over my coaxial spdif from my on board audio. This happens in the same way for my Dacmagic so its not an issue with the Bifrost. Any suggestions on a cure? Get a different sound card or get the usb module for the Bifrost or something else?
I never noticed this before because my headphones previously weren't sensitive enough to pick it up.

Try optical then perhaps USB if that doesn't work for you.  One reason I like optical for my 'portable' rig.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,365 of 3,339

Quote:
The ESS shouldn't be a supply issue, Kingwa's range of Sabre isn't as popular compared to the WM chips.  His Sabre range was up against the EE mini max that is a mere $800US at the time, not to mention the WFSs at $1495 with far better PSU filtering and less weigh and no wait time, & then theres the Buffolos from TPA, These are off the shelf items apart from TPA and Audio gd had all sorts of supply issues that are well documented in other threads. 

Wushuliu,
you done a comparision with the PCM 1704 to a Sabre implemtation?

I was referring to the usb (?) design issue for Kingwa's sabre dacs. The only Sabre I've heard was an Oppo at a friend's place but I did not listen critically. I did note a sound signature tilted towards bright but not unpleasantly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back