Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,157 of 3,339

Quote:
77 pages and only a couple useful comments/feedback. It's going to be a looooong couple of weeks...

Friend, I have made this same point in several threads - I firmly believe that 'impressions' should be separated from 'anticipation' (or more correctly, speculation ...). but each time I have been shouted down by the usual suspects. In this case, they bought the Asgard, then the Valhalla and finally the Lyr and they will end up with each of the Schiit DACs. I only have one problem with that, and its that each new toy is loudly proclaimed as being so much better than the last. Welcome to Head-Fi - sorry for your sanity. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #1,158 of 3,339

Quote:
Friend, I have made this same point in several threads - I firmly believe that 'impressions' should be separated from 'anticipation' (or more correctly, speculation ...). but each time I have been shouted down by the usual suspects. In this case, they bought the Asgard, then the Valhalla and finally the Lyr and they will end up with each of the Schiit DACs. I only have one problem with that, and its that each new toy is loudly proclaimed as being so much better than the last. Welcome to Head-Fi - sorry for your sanity. 

Well at least in this case with the Schiit Dacs it will be true. :)

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,159 of 3,339
And.... everything in the first post is up to date.
beerchug.gif

Keep the impressions rolling in!

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #1,160 of 3,339

Quote:
77 pages and only a couple useful comments/feedback. It's going to be a looooong couple of weeks...

You all may excuse me,

But this thread should be the anticipation thread.

For instance, I've subscribed just because I'm in eager to know something more about the balanced incoming DACs...

Why doesn't anyone open a "Schiit Bifrost DAC: the shipment thread" or a "Schiit Bifrost DAC: unboxing and first impressions" thread????

Because that's what this thread has been gone into since a month, and honestly, I couldn't care less...

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,161 of 3,339

Quote:
The Invicta is like the ultimate bedside rig though. It sounds great with HD800 too which tends to be hard to drive well. Plays off SD cards has very small footprint and good power levels. Maybe not worth $4k, but not terrible.

An ultimate bed side device that uses AD797 for $4K US.  and they rave about the justification on the AD 797  & initially claimed as a JFET, noticed they have backed of on that claimed after SOME head-Fi gave them a reality check on Project 86 review.  AT 4k they could have supplied a better opamp with the ultimate electronics it has on the front end.

I be interested for a posting here if someone did a shootout between an invicta and a Bifrost. both are 32 bit dac, and at least one has jfet in the anolog stage!!!!

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,162 of 3,339
Just noticed that the Bifrost page on Schiit's website has now updated to now shipping.  I am guessing that the testing and burning in of the USB modules went well?

Great work Jason.  You will finally be able to sit back with a beer and take a breather.....

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,164 of 3,339
has anyone used a USB version yet against Linux (Ubuntu)?

is there any indicator on the unit as to the sample rate of the source? I want to be able to check my soundcard isn't doing any upsampling before transporting over optical.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,166 of 3,339
I don't think anyone has gotten their, USB versions yet.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,169 of 3,339
Bifrost impressions from purrin and Anaxilus from the recent Irvine meet -

Quote:
Quote:

Quick impressions under meet conditions, but with my headphone and the Super7 (which I am familiar with since Anax has stolen this several times from Craig already.) You may also want to confirm with Anax since he studied the DAC more intensely than me:

1. Transients and attacks are a little blunted
  2. Bass extends decently well, is powerful, but is rounded
  3. Maybe lacks that last half-octave down low
  4. Good detail
  5. Little bit sharp in the treble when volume is turned up.

Overall it's good for the money.

My reference is the PS Audio PerfectWave.

I can second this.  

Put simply it is basically neutral.  Resolves quite well and better than I was expecting.  There is a slight euphonic signature in that it doesn't have that flat digital signature yet there is no treble roll off or bass bloom to muck up and warm everything.  It's actually quite interesting and pleasant in it's voicing.  I can say I've heard about 3 different AKM DACs and this was the most 'organic' sounding but in a more natural transparent way rather than colored.  Just lacks that extra bit of refinement you get from something like the PWD where it might come off a bit grainier when played through very transparent amps.  For the money it's definitely a solid piece of kit and recommended.  For absolute performance I'd wait for their statement or go another direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back