Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #812 of 3,339
Schiit has also never said that Optical is better than USB. When they say 'spdif', we know they are actually talking about coaxial, because...

And when they're talking about apples they're actually talking about oranges, right?

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #813 of 3,339
Sweet! nice work, Jason. I tricked myself into thinking it wasn't going to ship til the end of October :) 

M

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #814 of 3,339
     Quote:
For my part, I plan to try the Bifrost using optical out from my MacBook Pro; USB through Musical Fidelity V-Link to coax; and USB direct.  I'll also run coax from my Oppo BDP-83 to the Bifrost.  I'll see which of those sounds best, and add my voice to the others here who'll be reporting back on their own experiences.

I can tell you that my MacBook Pro USB through the V-Link then coax to my current DAC (Theta Pro Basic II) sounds better than the BDP-83 through coax.

It will be great to get a thorough comparison like that. I only have access to a Win7 notebook running in kernal mode with all extraneous features turned off, but a MacBook would be best.

Why your current coax sound better converted rather than direct from the BDP-83... I would say it is because the spdif conversion done in the V-Link is of much higher quality, less likely because the source was originally USB. The Oppo will be using a standard spdif conversion chip that cost in the cents. Also all the high frequency noise generated by the Oppo video chips and switch mode power supply will introduce more jitter problems.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #815 of 3,339

Quote:
     Quote:

It will be great to get a thorough comparison like that. I only have access to a Win7 notebook running in kernal mode with all extraneous features turned off, but a MacBook would be best.

Why your current coax sound better converted rather than direct from the BDP-83... I would say it is because the spdif conversion done in the V-Link is of much higher quality, less likely because the source was originally USB. The Oppo will be using a standard spdif conversion chip that cost in the cents. Also all the high frequency noise generated by the Oppo video chips and switch mode power supply will introduce more jitter problems.

There are some very nice audiophile software players for Win you may want to look at, such as XXHighEnd and HQPlayer, though these cost more than some of the players available for Mac.  They could result in noticeably improved sound (they all have trial periods, so if things aren't sufficiently improved you can get rid of them).

I partially agree with your comments - I do think the V-Link, not the USB output, is the reason the combo sounds good.  Async USB interfaces, reasonably well executed, will substantially reduce jitter.  Many will provide some electrical isolation as well (such as the Schiit will do), though this isn't true of the V-Link AFAIK.

The Oppo's actually pretty good.  Regarding "noise generated by the Oppo video chips," there's a "Pure Audio" selection for Oppo playback that shuts down the video chips as well as the front panel display, which I always use for audio disc playback.  Re switch mode power supply, again, this is a matter not necessarily of all switch mode supplies being bad, but of execution.  There are very expensive critically praised DACs that use switch mode supplies.  Of course I doubt the Oppo's using parts and design equivalent to $7000 DACs, but it does sound very good as a transport (as I can tell you from listening, and as more than one reviewer has said).  Re jitter, my DAC is an old Mike Moffatt design, and he was concerned even back then with designing S/PDIF inputs to minimize jitter from the source.  We'll have to see how his new design compares.  (I asked that question out of curiosity, before Schiit *very* understandably said they wouldn't be making any comparisons between Mike's former company's products and his current designs for Schiit.)

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #816 of 3,339
Actually there really isn't much higher you can get, they have a version geared towards audiophiles and in terms of components is laid out more like other units in the price range.  The high end dacs are not really much about esoteric capacitors and $500 solder.  There is a upper limit to components that they have available to use is what I mean.

Its all about the engineering that goes behind it,  to which I will not go through the merits of some engineering failures and overpricing.  There is a separate forum for that and threads.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #817 of 3,339
Any new news on the upcoming balanced dacs and amps.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #818 of 3,339
Sorry, ?

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #820 of 3,339
I guess Jason is busy getting ready for shipping of the first batch of Bifrosts in 10 days.  I think that he said that the intermediate Shiit amp and Dac will go on pre-order soon after so probably not a lot of spare time at the Schhit camp.  

I am also guessing that Jason will be checking to see if the new transformer supplier can fit with the requirements of the intermediate design.

When speaking to Jason I always get the impression that he knows exactly what his end goal is and how he going to achieve that but there must be some serious levels of testing and tuning going on before he is comfortable with releasing a product to market.  The low level of complaints, faults and returns would support this.  I havent heard of any real problems.  Perhaps some faulty tubes but that is hard to test for as they can have minds of their own.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #821 of 3,339
I sold my DacMagic today to repair the damage to my bank account caused by the purchase of an Alo Rx mk2 and the impending Bifrost so now the Lyr is all lonely waiting for its new Schiit partner.  

Just in case anyone is interested I took a pic of the Vintage audio lab allow anti vibration foot that I am using for both the Lyr and the Bifrost.  They are slightly large but hoping that it will look impressive with the matching chassis and feet.  

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #822 of 3,339
Haha, yup. Jason and Mike at Schiit are great guys. I suspect that we may have an announcement/details on the midrange dac and the "minimalist" right after the Bifrost starts shipping, i.e. start of next month.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #825 of 3,339
Hey all,

Some real photos of Bifrost (yes, including the back panel) are up on the site!

We'll have photos of the production guts shortly . . .

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back