Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 12, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #511 of 3,339
Should be simple to implement and inexpensive. No reason not to really, especially if you are making a 'statement' or 'redefining' product. Also it's helpful in troubleshooting/checking to make sure your computer is outputting the right sample rate. Sometimes drivers do funky things with sound cards and what it says on the screen isn't always what comes out.

It can still be done tastefully in Schiit style. An example is the face of the DacMagic:

dacmagicfront.jpg

I think we may see some indicators on the higher end products but not the Bifrost. I personally don't need the indicators as I have my music separated out and can see the output as soon as the song starts in Foobar or Winamp. My Dac is on my audio stand and I don't stare at it.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #512 of 3,339
Yes, that was my point. Include it on the top model, not the entry model.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #515 of 3,339
It is funny that you have pictured the Dacmagic and the matrix.  They are my last two dacs.  I still have the Dacmagic until Schiit brings out their statement dac.

I do think that my Lyr would like to have a Bifrost to keep it company.  I reckon I will weaken before the statement dac is released.  One Schiit dac is never enough!!

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #516 of 3,339

You've heard both the Dacmagic and HRT MSII? 
Quote:
That looks ugly.

DacMagic is nice but I think it can be outperformed by an HRT MSII. So Bifrost will be much better than this CA.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #517 of 3,339
Agreed, bells and whistles for the high-end model.  Plus, the guys over at Schiit aren't changing anything now but they could be listening to what you want for the next two models.  Or, they could be thinking, "We got this Schiit guys, don't worry".  I don't know about you guys but I know the quality (FLAC, MP3, WMA, etc.) of all of my music regardless of the Foobar or DAC-2 readout.  However, I do agree, if there is an issue with the DAC communicating with your source then one wouldn't know.  With my previous PS Audio DLIII if the DAC didn't lock onto the source due to improper connection or unplayable bitrate (e.g. SACD music or 192 kHz) it just wouldn't work in addition to a LED light not coming on.  So that could be the case here, if something is not right, you won't need a readout or light coming on to show source is locked, it just won't work.  Minimalist but keeps the price low. 

Quote:
Yes, that was my point. Include it on the top model, not the entry model.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #518 of 3,339
It is funny that you have pictured the Dacmagic and the matrix.  They are my last two dacs.  I still have the Dacmagic until Schiit brings out their statement dac.

I do think that my Lyr would like to have a Bifrost to keep it company.  I reckon I will weaken before the statement dac is released.  One Schiit dac is never enough!!

My call on this is you can sell a used DacMagic for about the same price as you pay for a new non-usb Bifrost, which is what I ordered. Either way I'll end up spending not too much money because I'll either sell the DacMagic or return the Bifrost. If I like the Bifrost (or even if I don't) I'll probably step up to the statement DAC when it comes out.

I wonder if Schiit would ever consider an upgrade program like some computer part companies do (like video cards, etc). Trade in a spotless lower model and get most of that value towards the new model.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #519 of 3,339
I aim to have the Lyr and Bifrost as the bedroom or study kit and the Statement amp and Dac as the lounge room kit.  I agree that the Dacmagic will get sold off to fund some Schiit.  I have got good results from the DacMagic but Schiit is the Schiit!!

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #520 of 3,339
Bells and whistles are nice but I wouldn't want anything that takes them out of their price performance envelope wrt the competition.  

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #521 of 3,339
I aim to have the Lyr and Bifrost as the bedroom or study kit and the Statement amp and Dac as the lounge room kit.  I agree that the Dacmagic will get sold off to fund some Schiit.  I have got good results from the DacMagic but Schiit is the Schiit!!

I'll give ya 5.00 for the DacMagic and a pack of smokes or a beer.. hahaha

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #522 of 3,339
Jul 12, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #525 of 3,339

Quote:

Then I suppose you hate the aesthetics of this one also?

Doesn't look like Schiit to me.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I don't care for the styling over much either.  Looks too cheap.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back