Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #466 of 3,339
Thanks MrScary but isn't anti-USB implementation your area of expertise? 
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #467 of 3,339
Has the form factor been covered yet? Will it perfectly stack under a asgard? I looked in the thread and I may have missed the answer.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #468 of 3,339
You can go to schiit.com and get dimensions, etc. Essentially, it's the same form factor as their current amps. From what Jason's said - they'll likely end up with two form factors. The bottom end (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Bifrost) and high end (balanced DAC, uber DAC, uber amp). While it's certainly tempting to stack these components, you may not want to. Designers go through significant effort to put space between transformers and other components. If you think about it, you can negate that effort inadvertently by stacking components. I'm not an EE so I can't say whether the resultant electrical noise/grunge would amount to much - but since we're willing to spend money in pursuit of that additional 5% of audio perfection, I try to give my components at least a foot of space.

Jason, maybe you have a take on this?

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #469 of 3,339
You can go to schiit.com and get dimensions, etc. Essentially, it's the same form factor as their current amps. From what Jason's said - they'll likely end up with two form factors. The bottom end (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Bifrost) and high end (balanced DAC, uber DAC, uber amp). While it's certainly tempting to stack these components, you may not want to. Designers go through significant effort to put space between transformers and other components. If you think about it, you can negate that effort inadvertently by stacking components. I'm not an EE so I can't say whether the resultant electrical noise/grunge would amount to much - but since we're willing to spend money in pursuit of that additional 5% of audio perfection, I try to give my components at least a foot of space.

Jason, maybe you have a take on this?

hahaha a whole foot what do you have like hydrogen flowing through the 1 ft space? j/k

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #470 of 3,339
No, but I like where you head's at 
rolleyes.gif
 I wouldn't even get into the other things I'm careful about in my office area. I'm a software developer, so my work/listening space is a bit extreme when it comes to electrical noise. MacPro, 32 gig memory, 6TB internal HD, 9TB Raid5 enclosures, eSata cards, usb cards, high end video card, two 30in monitors, iPhone, iPad2, blah, blah. Lots and lots of e noise. This is where I live though, so I'm always trying to improve my audio quality in my office.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #471 of 3,339
No, but I like where you head's at 
rolleyes.gif
 I wouldn't even get into the other things I'm careful about in my office area. I'm a software developer, so my work/listening space is a bit extreme when it comes to electrical noise. MacPro, 32 gig memory, 6TB internal HD, 9TB Raid5 enclosures, eSata cards, usb cards, high end video card, two 30in monitors, iPhone, iPad2, blah, blah. Lots and lots of e noise. This is where I live though, so I'm always trying to improve my audio quality in my office.

Makes alot of sense luckily I work from home so I get to make home my office but I understand my main transport is my computer it is liquid cooled raid 10 drives etc..

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #473 of 3,339
beerchug.gif
 Had a feeling MrScary. There's a handful of us that seems to have the luxury/curse of more time to tweak our gear. For me (and you it seems), I have headphones on at least 6 hours a day - listening while I code. Good music/sound makes my long days infinitely more enjoyable.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #476 of 3,339

Quote:
no not Anti-USB Perfertonotuse-USB I would use it if I was on the road or something but all my laptops have toslink so I probably will never use it. I have a portable rig that is USB
wink.gif

Then you've softened your stance to put it mildly. I recall seeing and also quoting your posts (possibly earlier in this very thread) in which, you were disparaging of USB implementation in DACs. 

My interest in the type of transformer being used in the Bifrost, is because it is a component that manufacturers tend to skimp on when attempting to produce Champagne audio on a beer budget. Something has to give and the power supply is usually it. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #477 of 3,339
Wow!  Just found out about all of this today!  I've been waiting to hear what Jason & Mike had in store for us on the DAC side.  The "redefinition" comment about their statement DAC later this year definitely has me on the sideline.  It will give me time to figure out how to work in some sort of volume control into my setup since none of the Schiit DACs will feature one.

My ideal computer-audio setup would be:

Computer-->DAC-->Valhalla or active speakers.

I know the guys @ Schiit refuse to comment on products that are not their own but I'd love to know what different flavors of sources they use when engineering their amps and DACs, similar to the cans they use to help voice their products.

Bill

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #478 of 3,339

Then you've softened your stance to put it mildly. I recall seeing and also quoting your posts (possibly earlier in this very thread) in which, you were disparaging of USB implementation in DACs. 

My interest in the type of transformer being used in the Bifrost, is because it is a component that manufacturers tend to skimp on when attempting to produce Champagne audio on a beer budget. Something has to give and the power supply is usually it. 

I agree with the power supply yeah I'm coming to terms with USB maybe there will be a USB 3.0 384hz implementation. :wink:

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #480 of 3,339
I'm sure it's been said, but man, I wish this DAC had more than one set of outputs. The ability to easily toggle between headphones and my Swan desktop speakers is essential for me.

x2 I hope the top DAC has switchable multiple outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back