Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #406 of 3,339
IMO, Toslink and Coaxial are pure connections compared to USB, and hardly legacy. Legacy implies either it's outdated as far as connectivity/software support goes or there are better methods available. Currently Toslink and Coaxial are still able to transfer the data perfectly fine, and USB is not better, though now not really much worse, if at all.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #407 of 3,339
Yup, done right, USB is as good as other inputs and I don't doubt people have had less than great experiences with USB but don't knock it until you try it with the Bifrost.  Or try it with the W4S DAC-2, you'll become a believer too.  I ordered a Bifrost w/out USB because it's going to be used in my bedroom along with a CD player and amp.  Down the road I will definitely throw in the USB module for kicks.  

Quote:
IMO, Toslink and Coaxial are pure connections compared to USB, and hardly legacy. Legacy implies either it's outdated as far as connectivity/software support goes or there are better methods available. Currently Toslink and Coaxial are still able to transfer the data perfectly fine, and USB is not better, though now not really much worse, if at all.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #408 of 3,339
Before the intent of my post is buried in the language let me first state that it was not meant to start an argument.  They certainly have a right to state their feelings on usb, and considering their wealth of experience I really was just curious to hear what they had to say.  Also, I agree that spdif isn't going anywhere so calling it a legacy connection was perhaps premature.  I do, however, think that with the spread of higher resolution audio spdif will start to be overshadowed by interest in both hdmi in the consumer space as well as higher bandwidth computer connections.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #409 of 3,339
Since the only laptop I have (my wife kills me if I use the macbook) is from the work, SPIF is not existant, so USB is the only option for me :)

Glad it support same inputs independently of the source (coaxial, SPDIF, USB)

Quote:
Obviously Jason and Mike have a ton of experience in the field so I really am curious to see their take on statement DAC and also curious to hear their take on the future of computer audio.

Yeah... would be interesting to read them about this topic

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #410 of 3,339
It's not like the USB situation is a big deal. If you want USB, buy it. If not it's cheaper for the rest of us. Everyone's a winner. 

Personally I'll be going without it because every device I own and plan to plug it into has spdif so I'll save myself $100.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #412 of 3,339

Quote:
Before the intent of my post is buried in the language let me first state that it was not meant to start an argument.  They certainly have a right to state their feelings on usb, and considering their wealth of experience I really was just curious to hear what they had to say.  Also, I agree that spdif isn't going anywhere so calling it a legacy connection was perhaps premature.  I do, however, think that with the spread of higher resolution audio spdif will start to be overshadowed by interest in both hdmi in the consumer space as well as higher bandwidth computer connections.

This is a topic I would like fleshed out further as well.  I certainly have my own impressions to go by but certainly would love to get a proper understanding of the intricacies beyond just the basics.  Seems like a question for the Science forum but everything there ends up as being 'inaudible' in more ways than one.

HDMI already has a replacement looming and neither will provide the benefits of SPDIF as they are used professionally.  I don't think any studios are using extended HDMI runs rather than SPDIF.  The needs and interests of the professional and average consumer rarely intersect and pandering to both isn't so easy.   

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #413 of 3,339
Hey all,

A couple more answers/clarifications:

1. DAC rollable? Nope. I think we made that clear--we will release new boards when there has been a meaningful change in D/A or USB/input capability. This won't be "12 different D/As in 12 months," it'll be "hey, I don't have to throw my entire DAC away when tech changes."

2. USB vs. SPDIF. I think we've said what we need to say on our site. Our implementation of USB is one of the best, and we've heard all of them (that we can separate from the DAC, that is.) And, in our opinion, they're not up to the level of SPDIF.

Why should you believe us? Unlike other firms, we have no dog in this fight--we don't have a team of engineers spending 50 person-years developing proprietary USB tech, we're not selling an expensive USB solution or trying to license our technology--so we don't really care if you use our USB or not. That's one of the reasons we waited until there was a commercially available solution for USB 2.0--the CMedia CM6631 input receiver. Now, real high-speed async USB doesn't have to be costly, and we can provide great performance on the USB side. For USB, that is. 

And, consider this: when those expensive, embedded USB solutions in other super-expensive DACs have fallen by the wayside for USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or I2S (or whatever's next), you just swap out a card on your Bifrost, and you're ready for whatever future tech there is.

That's how we see the future of computer audio. We're realistic enough to know we don't set the standards, but you bet we'll be able to respond to whatever comes next--and you won't have to throw your DAC away to take advantage of it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #414 of 3,339
Great comments Jason.  At such value for money price points people can test for themselves.  I am confident that your products will over deliver as usual.

Have you made available a review Bifrost as yet?  When the Lyr was released, Moon audio spent so long letting it burn in that regular head-fiers had already provided comments and reviews.  I think I even had my own Lyr for a month before the Moon review hit the print.  As much as I enjoy reading Moon audio reviews, it kind of lost its impact because of the timing.

Plus I am impatient...  and what better way to pass the time waiting for a Schiit statement Dac than to listen to a Bifrost!!

beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #415 of 3,339
you meant 6moons, right? :)
yeah, it would be great if we can see some good reviews before the official launch.

Quote:
...Moon audio spent so long letting it burn in that regular head-fiers had already provided comments and reviews.  I think I even had my own Lyr for a month before the Moon review hit the print.  As much as I enjoy reading Moon audio reviews...
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #417 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey all,

A couple more answers/clarifications:

1. DAC rollable? Nope. I think we made that clear--we will release new boards when there has been a meaningful change in D/A or USB/input capability. This won't be "12 different D/As in 12 months," it'll be "hey, I don't have to throw my entire DAC away when tech changes."

2. USB vs. SPDIF. I think we've said what we need to say on our site. Our implementation of USB is one of the best, and we've heard all of them (that we can separate from the DAC, that is.) And, in our opinion, they're not up to the level of SPDIF.

Why should you believe us? Unlike other firms, we have no dog in this fight--we don't have a team of engineers spending 50 person-years developing proprietary USB tech, we're not selling an expensive USB solution or trying to license our technology--so we don't really care if you use our USB or not. That's one of the reasons we waited until there was a commercially available solution for USB 2.0--the CMedia CM6631 input receiver. Now, real high-speed async USB doesn't have to be costly, and we can provide great performance on the USB side. For USB, that is. 

And, consider this: when those expensive, embedded USB solutions in other super-expensive DACs have fallen by the wayside for USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or I2S (or whatever's next), you just swap out a card on your Bifrost, and you're ready for whatever future tech there is.

That's how we see the future of computer audio. We're realistic enough to know we don't set the standards, but you bet we'll be able to respond to whatever comes next--and you won't have to throw your DAC away to take advantage of it.

I don't suppose there is anything in the works for a firewire interface? It would be a nice option to have
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #418 of 3,339
Ah pleeeaaase no 6moons reviews 

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #419 of 3,339

I don't suppose there is anything in the works for a firewire interface? It would be a nice option to have
smile.gif

People still use firewire? I thought it died out when Apple gave up and started using USB 2.0. I really don't see why Schiit would spend development time on something so few would order.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #420 of 3,339
Firewire: too small of a market.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back