Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 1, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #331 of 3,339

Quote:
Absolutely agree! I'd have purchased an amp from Schiit for my IEMs if there was one available that could guarantee black background on very low impedance cans. 

What about the Asgard? By the way I use an impedance adapter with my low impedance headphones when plugging into the Lyr.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #332 of 3,339
I asked at the time and Jason politely said he could not guarantee it with the Asgard. I was impressed with his honesty and won me right there as a future customer. I just had to find something to buy (Bifrost, and eventual top DAC, the Quadfrost? :xf_eek:). :)

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #333 of 3,339

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed, it's not unprecedented. My Matrix Mini-i is truly balanced with dual AD1955 architecture (just 16/48 USB but the rest is 24/192), cost just over $300 and is well-regarded at that price. Like the DACMagic it doesn't have the sophisticated clock management that the Bifrost has, but for less money it is balanced, and it does have USB.

Quote:

To bring this more on the DAC topic, the middle (balanced) DAC will be a lot more than a balanced Bifrost, and it'll have a couple of new tricks that I guarantee you haven't seen before on other DACs on the market. So comparing it to Chinese-made, non-upgradable, 16/48 USB-input stuff just ain't fair. 

I was hoping that I qualified that comparison enough. I really like the work that you guys have put into the Bifrost with the discrete word clocks, that's very impressive. And I think that the overall Schiit build quality with the characteristic chassis and the upgradability is also a winner. I also think that you guys nailed the USB, making it a SOTA option rather that a stock compromise. And it's pretty cool that with a Mac at least we don't need a software driver for 24/192 asynch.

I was just pointing out that if the difference was just that it was balanced that shouldn't make it cost a whole lot more, but now we have new tricks... you've really whetted my appetite. Will this middle balanced unit be another "DAC only" component, or will you be building in things like a headamp and/or a tubed analog output stage?

Personally I would prefer that you continue to leave the headamp out of it, and save the tube output stage for your TOTL model. It would also be great it this balanced middle unit had the same kind of footprint/chassis as the Bifrost, can you tell us any more details?

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #336 of 3,339
The discontinued Sonic Frontiers Processor 3, priced $6,999 back in 1998. By far the best sounding DAC I've heard. Not terribly modern in terms of specs but when fed by a good transport, nothing could touch its musical sound to my ears. To be fair, none of the DAC's I compared exceeded $5,000 mark though. Just love its balanced tube output stage :cool: Have been seeking for it for a long time but still no luck. Really, really hope Schiit would consider something like this.

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #337 of 3,339
If it stacks on their solid state amp I may be seriously considering this. Hopefully it has USB.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #338 of 3,339

Guarantee that it costs much more to do a fully Discrete Balanced Output than an IC Op-amp based balanced output. The Bifrost is tempting, but I currently have  two < $1000 DAC's for headphone and secondary systems so not really in the market for a budget DAC. Once the Statement DAC comes out I may have to try it to see how it compares to much more expensive DAC's.
Quote:

Agreed, it's not unprecedented. My Matrix Mini-i is truly balanced with dual AD1955 architecture (just 16/48 USB but the rest is 24/192), cost just over $300 and is well-regarded at that price. Like the DACMagic it doesn't have the sophisticated clock management that the Bifrost has, but for less money it is balanced, and it does have USB.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #339 of 3,339

Quote:
The discontinued Sonic Frontiers Processor 3, priced $6,999 back in 1998. By far the best sounding DAC I've heard. Not terribly modern in terms of specs but when fed by a good transport, nothing could touch its musical sound to my ears. To be fair, none of the DAC's I compared exceeded $5,000 mark though. Just love its balanced tube output stage
cool.gif
Have been seeking for it for a long time but still no luck. Really, really hope Schiit would consider something like this.

Those old DACs are really bad-ass.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #341 of 3,339
Hasn't Jason already said that his dacs will not have tubes? I agree with Scary that tubes in the amp make a bigger difference.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #343 of 3,339
Jason and Schiit go one better than the combo value pack.  They sell awesome gear at great prices all the time.  And you only have to buy one component at a time.  I dont think that anyone that has bought a Schiit product would not back its value proposition 100%.  

I have to almost pinch myself at how much I love my Lyr and rolling tubes through it.  I would still buy it at double the price.

Quote:
Jason:  Have you guys considered offering a "value-pack", bifrost + lyr combo. Reduced price when buying both? 

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #344 of 3,339
Jason,
On the non-USB version of Bifrost there will be only two LED-s on the front side of the DAC?
I assume that those three symbols stand for optical, coaxial and USB input.
And the other, can we have a picture of the input section of the Bifrost? A schematical drawing would be nice don't need any photos :)

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #345 of 3,339

Quote:
Jason:  Have you guys considered offering a "value-pack", bifrost + lyr combo. Reduced price when buying both? 

He already said about it on some previous posts if you haven't noticed yet. Consider its spec, and built materials, their schiits are worth more than listing prices imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back