Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 3,339
I emailed Jason my wish list for a new DAC. I asked for something along the lines of a Wyred4Sound DAC-2 that can replace a conventional preamp. The W4S has volume and balance, done in the digital domain. Jason shot that down, along with upsampling which he also spat upon from a great height. (I don't agree, but I do respect his purist perspective.) So I'm guessing, just inferring here, that the end product will be pretty straightforward with minimal features.

I also asked for an I2S input, which solves the issues some people have with USB and what they perceive to be its sonic shortcomings. Jason did not repond to this, hmmm...

Agreed that a common case with the amps would be nifty. However, given that the Lyr runs hot (which I know firsthand) and the Asgard apparently even hotter, would putting either atop a case full of delicate chips be a real good idea?

Truly the DAC market is exploding. It wouldn't surprise me to get one free with my breakfast cereal. So I don't think asking for a decent $150 DAC is unrealistic. Electronics get better and cheaper, faster. Just got a new Marantz SA8004 player, which has a port on the front for a thumb drive or iPod data and a port on the back for computer USB. And that built-in DAC competes with my modded PS Audio DL III.

Will Schiit deliver a $150 DAC? Don't expect so. But given the value delivered in the Lyr, I can't wait to see the "bruiser" DAC promised for later this year.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 3,339

Quote:
Not to start WW-III but a Dac for under or around  $150,00, you do know you get what you pay for, right.........Plus, if this company is talking a Dac by this summer or by the end of the year do you guys know how many Dacs will come on the market with the(latest and greatest) new chip/chips, input and output connection options,the best analog output stage,etc.etc. during this year alone. Dacs change like the weather that's why so many older brands still hold up. The builder eludes to this by talking about, " but you can enjoy the fine sound of some antique Theta product"!  I don't think he would use a "old school" piece of gear to demo his Equipment if they didn't approve of the sound that each piece contributed to their musical puzzle to produce a  great sounding system. Again,look how many Dacs have come onto the market in the last year,many very nice and some not so musical... Keep this in mind! but do remember, this is......JMO....and I'm hoping just like the rest of you that his company really has the "Magic Bullet"in their sights......  

These guys make excellent products, so whatever the price it will be worth more than they are asking. And remember, the reason he mentioned bringing the Theta is because the guy designing the DAC is Jasons partner Mike Moffat who is formerly from Theta and designed their stuff , so yes, I would say they approve of the "old school" Theta designs. Jason is formerly from Sumo and has designed lots of stuff. So easy to say these guys have been around the block and know what they are doing. JMO

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #18 of 3,339
Here's a crazy idea. How 'bout a Thunderbolt port? Even more power than USB 3! Okay, maybe that's not it (but you can't ignore their Apple friendly styling).

Quote:
May not be for audio. Could be USB 2 with external power, USB 3 powered by USB only.

That's the deal with some of these USB 3 only monitors I've been hearing about, its the power.

Also, more on topic. I was just looking at a an amp from them, maybe I'll nab the DAC too.

Dangit! I was trying to settle on a DAC to go with the Asgard or Valhalla. Man, if their entry-level unit could come in around $200, that would kill.

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 3,339
kind of already known, but 5 days ago,

Quote:
Yep, DACs are coming. We're now confident enough to say we'll be announcing pre-orders on the first one in June (entry-level), and a roadmap for 2 other models, so you can plan what you want to wait for.

Rumors that they will all have Mike Moffat's signature on the back are greatly exaggerated. Or not.

Found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549810/schiit-could-not-be-more-happy-with-this-company-and-their-products

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 3,339
I just hope that Mike Moffat, will perfectly align each molecule in all the components using his Absolute Zero containment suit.

On a more serious note though I don't mean to pick a fight but I really wouldn't want their DAC built like someone elses.  I want their DAC, not a cheaper version of Wyred4sound's DAC.  Theta has always made some killer stuff, and I would really love to see what could be done on a more obtainable budget.  I don't own any of their amps yet but I spent some good time on my friends Lyr, and I think its a wonderful amp, and even better for the money.  

May 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #22 of 3,339
It is interesting that they will be coming up with a balance dac.  Do you guys think that there will be a balance Lyr in the future?  Otherwise, how will a balance Dac complement their line of Amps?

May 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 3,339

Quote:
It is interesting that they will be coming up with a balance dac.  Do you guys think that there will be a balance Lyr in the future?  Otherwise, how will a balance Dac complement their line of Amps?

They've mentioned before that there'd be a balanced lyr, said it'd obviously be much more expensive.

May 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #26 of 3,339

Quote: Jason Stoddard
... All of the DACs will have some surprises but the final 'statement' DAC will be the most, ahem - surprising.

2. A 'statement' headphone/2-channel product.

Does this mean a balanced DAC and therefore an integrated or accompanying balanced headphone amp?

May 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #27 of 3,339
Maybe a headphone/speaker amp.  As SE or Balanced amp are both 2 channels.

May 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 3,339
Yeah it's open to interpretation but to me it suggests a headphone + speaker amp. But who knows.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #29 of 3,339
Only just stumbled over this thread. You guys are largely on the right track. I have been lucky enough to have been told some very detailed facts from Jason. I have been sworn to secrecy but I can say that the Schiit products will be awesome value for money and have the usual huge performance per cost benchmark as in their existing amps. Put that together with the fact that one of their headline products will be significantly higher than their current price points and it should tell you what kind of performance to expect.

I have already started saving and planning to buy two of their products that are yet to be announced.

Great thread. Subscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back