Schiit BiFrost Issue(s)... Please Help me Troubleshoot!
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mrscotchguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Just as the title points out, I am looking for some help with a few issues regarding my BiFrost.  I have had my BiFrost coming up on a year now.  I was blown away by its performance seconds after plugging it in.  Going from a generic $20 DAC, I shouldn't have been so surprised by my reaction.  To give everyone a bit of background, I don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile elitist, just an average headphone connoisseur who wanted a bit more out of my collection.  I am on the forums daily trying to learn more about the hobby while trying to avoid upgraditis as much as possible.  While content with my Schiit stack, a friend of mine brought to my attention the "Clicking Issue" with the BiFrost. I have scoured the HeadFi as well as the web to track down as much info as possible about this.  Until he pointed out that his AudioGD gear doesn't "click" when changing audio/bit streams, I have never had an issue with it.  Now that this noise has been brought to my attention, I notice the sound more and more.  Before, the "Clicks" use to be a very satisfying reminder of entering into Foobar and selecting a nice FLAC recording.  Now, I notice my BiFrost can "Click" every few seconds depending on circumstances (I will go into this in more detail further down).

I cannot help but assume a bit of user error is getting in the way of my day-to-day enjoyment of my equipment.  My friend strongly suggested that I immediately contact Schiit about my issues or find another upgrade path.  I figure, I might as well use the help of this wonderful community before I go bother Jason/Schiit.  Additionally, if anyone else is having the same issue(s) as I am, I think this thread could potentially be a useful resource in the future (for Schiit and non-Schiit users alike).  I cannot seem to find my answer anywhere, so I would like everyone's help.  I am running Windows 7 and have tried playing around with settings.  I have used ASIO and WASAPI in Foobar previously.  Due to the effect of cancelling all other sounds out, I decided to stop using them for day-to-day use.  I enjoy hearing other sounds as well as being able to play music while gaming/chatting.

EDIT: I thought providing my current component path(s) would be a helpful addition:

1. Windows7> Onboard Coax> BiFrost> Asgard
  2. Windows7> X-Fi> Toslink> BiFrost>Asgard 
  3. Windows7> USB> BiFrost> Asgard
  4. Additionally I have tried combinations with my Onkyo receiver as a control 

Here is a list of problem/questions that I have.  In order to keep this thread very simple to read, please provide answers or links corresponding to each issue.  I would request anyone not able or willing to provide constructive advice or criticism, to please hold off on comments.  If no answers are found, I will contact Schiit for help and update this post accordingly.

1) The BiFrost "Clicks"
  1. From the Schiit Website: Hey, this Bifrost I got clicks! What’s up with that? 
It’s just the muting relay, operating normally. We chose a relay rather than relying on the D/A chip’s soft mute, since it’s safer and less sonically invasive. 

2) The BiFrost "Clicks" ALOT
  1. EDIT: To avoid confusion, the "Click" is a physical noise emanating from inside the BiFrost.  This noise does not disrupt SQ of my headphones (besides being a nuisance).
  2. During normal use on my PC (Window 7) my BiFrost periodically "Clicks".  Say, if I am web browsing and someone IM's me... "Click".  If I get a Skype messge/call... "Click".  Every Gtalk IM... "CLICK", "CLICK", "CLICK".
  3. From what I have read, the BiFrost will "Click" during any change in Sample Rate or Bit Depth.  To my understanding, whenever a program takes over, a "Click" occurs because each program has its own Sample Rate or Bit Depth.  This is not an issue for me when listening to music in Foobar since I rip all my music.  My FLAC files are ripped at the default recording specs, so if figure they should all be 16/44.1.  Because there is no change, I get no "Click"ing.  Note, my BiFrost does not "​Click" if I am already listening to music and receive an IM or other "interruption".  This makes me feel like I am doing something incorrect with Window Settings.  

To make things simple, can anyone suggest the "correct" or best settings to use on the following menus:

Am I missing anything else?

*NOTE: I came across a fairly annoying and possibly problematic issue while chatting.  If you hold down the "Backspace" key in Gtalk or other instant messenger programs, you get the annoying but expected "ding..ding..ding" noise, just a couple days ago, it caused my BiFrost to spaz out and made a rapid-fire "CLICK" between each "ding".  I honestly thought my Schiit was about to explode.  (No pun intended?)  I am worried that this has potential to do damage to my DAC.

3) When USB is used, I have random "dropped signals"
  1. (Part I) I will be listening to music, and all of a sudden, dead silence.  The computer recognizes the "Schiit USB device" under Playback devices, but no sound is produced.  To solve this, I must unplug the usb and plug it back in to get things going again.  What an easy way to ruin a good listening session.
  1. (Part II) After coming out of Sleep Mode, my computer doesn't always recognize the BiFrost USB.  This happens whether the DAC is on before or after the PC awakens.  Once again, to solve this,  I must unplug the usb and plug it back in.
  2. Some people have suggested using a Power USB hub as a solution.  Would adding a longer path create a delay or lower SQ?

4) In USB mode, Two devices show up under "Playback Devices"
  1. Not really a problem, more of an annoyance.  I have labeled my device to reduce confusion.

5) Is my BiFrost "going to sleep" when no music is playing?
  1. As crude of a description, I don't know how else to describe it.  If my PC is in idle, any program's sound will cause a "Click".  It's as if the BiFrost is in a power saving mode and "awakens" with a click.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  If anything else comes up, I will post any additional questions/problems/quirks.

And because I know how much everyone loves pictures, here is my Schiit Stack:

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Update
Having received no help/assistance, I worked with my local friend to troubleshoot.  We have managed to come up with two conclusions to help reduce the "Click"ing issue(s).

1. Solution #1:  I had both the Coax and Toslink connected simultaneously from the motherboard to the BiFrost.  Removing one or the other reduced the frequency of the problem, but did not fix it.  
  2. Solution #2: The major problem came down to what we believe is the onboard Realtek soundcard.  Hooking my X-Fi card back up dramatically reduced the issues.

The USB option seems to be the least problematic at this point.  Sofar I haven't had any signal drops, but only time will allow me to test that issue.  I will be testing out my laptop shortly and report back with more information. 

I am honestly surprised by the lack of support considering the large amount of Schiit users. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back