Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #466 of 467
Greetings! I have read all 31 pages and I'm very interested in picking up a closeout Bifrost 4490. For the same money, which is the better purchase - Mimby or Bif4490?

Also, has anyone here compared the Bif4490 with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red? Impressions?

I would most likely be looking to use this in my office system with HD6xx or B&W 686 speakers as opposed to my living room system but I would put it up against my Proceed PDP to see how they compare.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #467 of 467
So had my girlfriend over tonight & we listened to the two DACs blind. My GF listened to three songs, and preferred the 4490 bifrost over the Mimby two out of the three. We then switched and I preferred the bifrost all three times.

Interestingly, the first song I played for my GF had vocals, and she prefered the 4490 Bifrost because she said the vocals sounded fuller. So the next song I played was an instrumental jazz track, and this time she preferred the Mimby. Next I played a vocal reggae track and her preference went back to the 4490 Bifrost.

For myself, two of the tracks my reaction was like "oh yeah this is easy I clearly like this one over that one" with 'this one' revealed as the 4490 bifrost. Those two songs were vinyl rips with big dynamic range, no brickwalled mastering. One track I was like "Hmm, switch back? Ok now switch back again? Uhhh, its really really close but I think I like this one over that one just a touch. But really they're kinda the same." That time the recording was a pretty hotly mastered Dubstep track sourced from a CD (Aeriel by 2562, some damn fine dubstep
tongue.gif
)

just received the 4490 and have been listening for about 30 mins so far. would agree with you on the vocals on the 4490 compared to the mimby. i own both as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back