Schiit Audio Valhalla: Awesome Schiit Under $400 (Review)
Jan 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #16 of 40
Hi im getting a pair of sennheiser hd598 and was curious if the valhalla would sound good with them can you answer this q?
Also Im just getting into this stuff so if you have recommendations for me plz make them.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:
Do you use the Valhalla or Burson more with the HD650? And are you interested in the new rollable Valhalla?

I use the Burson more, and now there is a new rollable Valhalla? Do you happen to have a link that I can check out?

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

I use the Burson more, and now there is a new rollable Valhalla? Do you happen to have a link that I can check out?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617351/schiit-valhalla-now-with-100-more-rollability

Really would like to hear the Burson. A couple hundred dollars less and I'd be all over it. I love my AHA-120 (though selling because I don't need a portable) but its been compared favorably to the Burson. I wish I could go there and never look back. Still the Valhalla seems pretty cool..

Can you pm me the link to your website? I couldn't find it...

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
Hey Austin,

I had a question regarding the DT990.  Reading your profile, and it seems you've auditioned them.  Did you happen to audition them with the Valhalla? If so, would you be able to give your impressions on it, or is that sorta impossible by now? Lol.

Yes, I have auditioned the Valhalla with the DT990, and didn't like it very much. It seemed overly sibilant and bright to me.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Yes, I have auditioned the Valhalla with the DT990, and didn't like it very much. It seemed overly sibilant and bright to me.

Thanks for the response.  And really?  I know the headphones are bright already and have some "singing" highs already, and I also know that the Valhalla is supposed to assist "darker" headphones like the HD650; but did the Valhalla do anything else for the headphone other than extend the highs further?

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

With different input tubes, the Valhalla can be warm and smooth. The stock tubes can be overly sibilant and bright with overly sibilant and bright headphones.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:
I thought the Valhalla didn't have the tube rolling option?

They redid the board, adding auto bias for tube rolling. I think any one bought after May was a ver.2.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
They redid the board, adding auto bias for tube rolling. I think any one bought after May was a ver.2.

Yep!

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:
Yeah, I'm reading it on Schiit's website right now.  From the looks of it, it seems the tubes that you can roll onto it are the same ones for the Lyr.  Does that mean the Valhalla can sound similar to a Lyr after some tube rolling?

Not the same, as the Lyr has output transistors. But you could get the same tone. I could of bought the Lyr, as a $100. would not brake my budget. But I've had a few hybrids in the past, and I find I prefer an OTL tube amp better.

I've found hybrids can have a bit deeper bass, but for everything else I prefer an all tube amp.

The only reason I would get a lyr over a Valhalla, is if I needed to drive 16~50 ohm headphones. I would not buy it simply based on SQ reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back