Schiit Audio Sol Turntable Thread
Jun 20, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #31 of 46
Very excited about this. I’m a tinkerer and expect that any good turntable need some attention to detail and dialing in by its end user. Assuming there’s no issues that can’t be overcome with adjustments this thing sounds like a winner at this price point. I absolutely do not need another turntable, but at $800 I just don’t think I can hold back! Time to buy it and compare it to my VPI Classic Signature with an Ortofon 2m Black.
@Gibson59 Were you able to get a SOL? How does it compare to your VPI Classic Signature?

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #33 of 46
I'm planning on making my Sol purchase soon. Does anyone have any experience with the Grado cartridge that is offered with the TT? I'm trying to figure out if the $156 is a good upgrade for me. My HP gear is Schiit Mani, Loki, Jotunheim and my headphones are DCA Ether 2s. I really love my digital setup with the Bifrost 2 and my preferences are leaning more and more to Classical. Any suggestions/opinions are very much appreciated.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #34 of 46
I'm planning on making my Sol purchase soon. Does anyone have any experience with the Grado cartridge that is offered with the TT? I'm trying to figure out if the $156 is a good upgrade for me. My HP gear is Schiit Mani, Loki, Jotunheim and my headphones are DCA Ether 2s. I really love my digital setup with the Bifrost 2 and my preferences are leaning more and more to Classical. Any suggestions/opinions are very much appreciated.
I got my Sol about one month ago with the Grado cart. I was running a Rega P1 with the Carbon cart before this. Pre amp is a Mani. Overall the Sol with the Grado has been a big step up from the Rega. Music seems fuller overall with more setail on the high end. I am not super well versed in TTs as this is just my second one, but overall I have been very happy with the setup. Honestly I bought the Grado since I figured if I was going to spend the money on the Sol I might as well get the "upgraded" cart so I would never regretted getting the "basic" cart.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 46
I got my Sol about one month ago with the Grado cart. I was running a Rega P1 with the Carbon cart before this. Pre amp is a Mani. Overall the Sol with the Grado has been a big step up from the Rega. Music seems fuller overall with more setail on the high end. I am not super well versed in TTs as this is just my second one, but overall I have been very happy with the setup. Honestly I bought the Grado since I figured if I was going to spend the money on the Sol I might as well get the "upgraded" cart so I would never regretted getting the "basic" cart.
Thanks for your input!

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #37 of 46
I’m interested in reviews as well. One thing I thought was odd - I watched Schiit’s unboxing/setup video on YouTube. I couldn’t believe how extremely complicated the setup looked... for a company that cuts through the bullschiit and prides itself on solid, plug and play equipment, the Sol looked really fragile and finicky. I was pretty surprised

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #38 of 46
Here's a recent Sol review from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-sol-turntable

Also from Stereophile the Sol made the recommended list of components just recently:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2021-edition-turntables

If you're looking at the original video that shows how to assemble the Sol then that has definitely changed. Here's the current video from Schiit's site:

I haven't purchased the Sol but I plan on it when I can afford it.

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #39 of 46
I love the SOL.

The vta and the azimuth are finiky, but the ability to precisely set this is not a hassle, it is an opportunity to have a turntable set up as precisely as a multi thousands of U$D tt.

The Grado/SOL combination make a fantastic deal - even entry level tables with this level cartridge reach $2k ... now compare the platter, tonearm, etc. Also take advantage of the $120 Mani mm/mc phono stage. It's what you need for nearly any cartridge (dip switches on the bottom allow on the fly adjustments) and is super wide open. It is not in the way!

One of the very attractive aspects of the SOL is the ability to buy new tonearms for only $200. Shop around and compare turntables with 11" carbon fiber tonearms, do you see any under $1000? SOL owners can have a regular, mono, 78 rpm, etc all in your arsenal and save time resetting the tonearm/cart/platter relationship each time.

You'll want a protractor tool of some sort if you're serious about setting up multiple tonearms. Really, even if you only have the stock cart, you may consider a protractor to set things up precisely. They give you several weights attached to very thin fishing line with these tiny loops and thank god they did because no way I could have done that.

I hope Schiit decides to continue providing this wonderful turntable to the community. Perhaps they could sell it as a 'kit' so people are in the correct state of mind. I would like to see more support documentation. The video could do a better job going through the steps one at a time. Don't skip over 'simple' steps assuming I have a brain, instead of simply showing it on camera.

It might be worth considering raising the price to add some polish and features like damped cueing (save our cantilivers!).

And if anyone else is interested in a tonearm (which are presently not being sold) perhaps if there are many of us they'll consider one more batch please?

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #40 of 46
I love the SOL.

The vta and the azimuth are finiky, but the ability to precisely set this is not a hassle, it is an opportunity to have a turntable set up as precisely as a multi thousands of U$D tt.

The Grado/SOL combination make a fantastic deal - even entry level tables with this level cartridge reach $2k ... now compare the platter, tonearm, etc. Also take advantage of the $120 Mani mm/mc phono stage. It's what you need for nearly any cartridge (dip switches on the bottom allow on the fly adjustments) and is super wide open. It is not in the way!

One of the very attractive aspects of the SOL is the ability to buy new tonearms for only $200. Shop around and compare turntables with 11" carbon fiber tonearms, do you see any under $1000? SOL owners can have a regular, mono, 78 rpm, etc all in your arsenal and save time resetting the tonearm/cart/platter relationship each time.

You'll want a protractor tool of some sort if you're serious about setting up multiple tonearms. Really, even if you only have the stock cart, you may consider a protractor to set things up precisely. They give you several weights attached to very thin fishing line with these tiny loops and thank god they did because no way I could have done that.

I hope Schiit decides to continue providing this wonderful turntable to the community. Perhaps they could sell it as a 'kit' so people are in the correct state of mind. I would like to see more support documentation. The video could do a better job going through the steps one at a time. Don't skip over 'simple' steps assuming I have a brain, instead of simply showing it on camera.

It might be worth considering raising the price to add some polish and features like damped cueing (save our cantilivers!).

And if anyone else is interested in a tonearm (which are presently not being sold) perhaps if there are many of us they'll consider one more batch please?
Sadly, the latest video that was posted by Schiit on YT spoke of most likely discontinuing the SOL.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #43 of 46
I pray they do not discontinue it. I was super disheartened to hear it might be going away. I've been saving up for a Sol and the used market for them is nonexistent.
Agreed. It looks bleak. :triportsad:

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #44 of 46
The SOL is such a neat turntable and IMHO a bargain at twice its price. I wonder if Jason and Mike will ever put the SOL back into production in limited numbers like the Folkvangr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back