Schiit Audio Sol Turntable Thread
Apr 13, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 46
Congrats! I'm more and more impressed with the AT-VM95EN each time the needle drops. Also like you, I'm also concerned with animal hair (in my case dogs). I just ordered a custom cover from the following vendor after getting good recommendations.

https://www.displaycasej.com/store/category/turntable-covers

Unfortunately he's got a 10 week lead time. But it's for a good cause. He's making protective shields for the CDC.
What size are you having made?

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 46
What size are you having made?
I have my Sol oriented with the 1st of the three feet at the front which makes the overall footprint square. So I went with a cover that measures 17.5 x 17.5 x 6.5 internal measurements. Here's a pic of the orientation.
20200328_114618.jpg

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 46
Very excited about this. I’m a tinkerer and expect that any good turntable need some attention to detail and dialing in by its end user. Assuming there’s no issues that can’t be overcome with adjustments this thing sounds like a winner at this price point. I absolutely do not need another turntable, but at $800 I just don’t think I can hold back! Time to buy it and compare it to my VPI Classic Signature with an Ortofon 2m Black.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 46
Very excited about this. I’m a tinkerer and expect that any good turntable need some attention to detail and dialing in by its end user. Assuming there’s no issues that can’t be overcome with adjustments this thing sounds like a winner at this price point. I absolutely do not need another turntable, but at $800 I just don’t think I can hold back! Time to buy it and compare it to my VPI Classic Signature with an Ortofon 2m Black.
[/QU

If you're a tinkerer, I think you'll be quite happy playing around with the Sol. I'm very curious to hear more comparisons against higher end tables. My only direct comparison has been to a vintage Sony.

I'm also very much looking forward to the availability of additional tonearms. I now have two carts, I'd like to try out. Jason mentioned they (Schiit) needed some time to catch up (assuming on orders & manufacturing).

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #21 of 46
I grew up using turntables, first one was a Pioneer PL200 that my father brought home. I still love the look of a nice turntable, but I can't ever see myself wanting to deal with all the fuss and enormous amount of space required to house the gear and music collection in vinyl. I was happy to get away from CDs due to the space they took up. My brother still maintains a turntable (he has our old vinyl collection plus many new pressings) setup with a PL600 and I forget the model number, but also a highly regarded Dual. We do listen to vinyl sometimes and it is nice and nostalgic, but I don't hear it as better at all. Saying that, I am glad that vinyl remains in the hearts and souls for some and this Schiit offering looks fabulous. I like that Schiit are constantly finding worthwhile additions to their lineup. Would be nice to see a Schiit multibit CD player.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #22 of 46
If you're a tinkerer, I think you'll be quite happy playing around with the Sol. I'm very curious to hear more comparisons against higher end tables. My only direct comparison has been to a vintage Sony.

I'm also very much looking forward to the availability of additional tonearms. I now have two carts, I'd like to try out. Jason mentioned they (Schiit) needed some time to catch up (assuming on orders & manufacturing).

Yeah I’m also looking forward to multiple armwands. I’ve got a growing mono collection and don’t yet have a mono cartridge. Buying a second VPI arm would cost me around $1300 and I just haven’t been able to bring myself to spring for it. I’d rather use that money on records!

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 46
I'll be joining the Sol crew next week when mine arrives. I ordered it with the Grado Opus3. Do any of you guys also have that cart?

May 4, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 46
In my 4th week of enjoying my SOL and thought that I would share some thoughts. First off, it replaced a Rega P3-24 with the Exact cartridge, upgraded belt, counterweight.
1. Set up wasn't bad, but I like tinkering and have the basic equipment
2. Within 20 minutes of listening I was taking pictures of the Rega for classifieds, this is not hyperbole.
3. Still using the supplied AT supplied cart. A tad sibilant up top, not sure if I'm going to get the Sabita A.T. stylus or another cartridge all together. This cart does sound good though.
Caveats:
1. The motor was noisy and you could feel it vibrate for the first 100+ hours, I literally left this thing spinning for a week straight. The motor has quieted substantially.
2. The tonearm wires had an intermittent open in the left channel, slightly touch the wire before the connector and the channel would come back. I ended up making a video of this occurrence and Schiit sent me new tonearm wire.

The goods heavily out-way the bad. A great sounding disc spinner.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 46
Currently running an older Rega P3 with a Ortofon 2M Red thru a Mani and considering a Sol.

What do you guys think of the Sol with the AT-95EN? It’s hard to find current reviews.

Did you get the Sol? I have a Rega P1 with the Carbon tip also running through a Mani. It was my first TT, and overall is it fine, but seems to be lacking some. I have been thinking of getting the Sol and telling the wife it was a father's day present to my self, but I am not sure if it will be that much of an upgrade.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #26 of 46
In my 4th week of enjoying my SOL and thought that I would share some thoughts. First off, it replaced a Rega P3-24 with the Exact cartridge, upgraded belt, counterweight.
1. Set up wasn't bad, but I like tinkering and have the basic equipment
2. Within 20 minutes of listening I was taking pictures of the Rega for classifieds, this is not hyperbole.
3. Still using the supplied AT supplied cart. A tad sibilant up top, not sure if I'm going to get the Sabita A.T. stylus or another cartridge all together. This cart does sound good though.
Caveats:
1. The motor was noisy and you could feel it vibrate for the first 100+ hours, I literally left this thing spinning for a week straight. The motor has quieted substantially.
2. The tonearm wires had an intermittent open in the left channel, slightly touch the wire before the connector and the channel would come back. I ended up making a video of this occurrence and Schiit sent me new tonearm wire.

The goods heavily out-way the bad. A great sounding disc spinner.
Was the step up in SQ fairly big from your P3. I only have the P1 and I've been kicking around the idea of the Sol. I know it is silly, but I really like the look of it and if it sounds better than my P1 then I think I will get it. The P1 should be pretty easy to sell so that should help some on the purchase cost.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 46
Did you get the Sol? I have a Rega P1 with the Carbon tip also running through a Mani. It was my first TT, and overall is it fine, but seems to be lacking some. I have been thinking of getting the Sol and telling the wife it was a father's day present to my self, but I am not sure if it will be that much of an upgrade.
David, I’m still going over my options. I’ve also thrown the Rega Planar 6 into the mix. I still haven‘t heard any talk about the Sol lately. Schiit does offer a refund within 15 days so that is an option too.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 46
Been listening to my Sol for a couple weeks now. Today was the first day with my new Zu Audio speakers. What a table! I highly recommend the Grado cart and Mani preamp to use with it. I love how receptive the Sol is to tweaks and adjustments. It's not a beginner's table, but easy enough to use and also sounds good enough to make me not wish to have my old VPI table back. This one's a keeper. I can't wait until they offer the arm separately so I can buy another.

0619202312.jpg

0619202227.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back