Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #4,666 of 4,957
How big is the difference? Would you consider it a clear upgrade or a tonal side-grade? BF2 is obviously a lot more expensive, but I expect this stack to last me a long time so I would save up for the BF if worth it.
I'm not sure on the BF2/64-as I never wanted to swap out the boards on my OG.
I have heard one more then a few times-but not in my system. From what I recall it's not really like the MMB2-it has it's own sound.
Between the BF2OG and MMB2-I would say neither is really a upgrade-more that they are different.
As far as sound staging-I have them going through different speakers-but they seem close.
Neither of these 3 are bright-regardless of what some are saying.
It's not a accurate description by any means-as others are finding out.
Just my thoughts-if I was going Jot2-and thoughts of moving a different direction later-buy a separate dac.
Unless your pressed for space.
If your going to stick with it-get the board.
I think you would be more then happy with the MMB2.
I love my BF2 OG-and it's well matched to that half of my system.
But today_I would not go out of my way to buy a used one for $500-I would be happy with the MMB2@$299.
It's really a excellent DAC-can't imagine too many not liking it-seriously.
IMHO try one out and go from there-you can always return it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #4,668 of 4,957
Happy New Year All! I hope everyone had a great holiday season! Now for the serious business...

I have a Bifrost MB in my work setup with USB Gen 5 that I picked up from Schiit as B-stock back in September of 2020. Up until a couple months ago, it has been working flawlessly with my Win10 computer. Then, a couple months ago, the USB began disconnecting sometime between the last time I used it and when I wanted to use it next. I could simply unplug the USB cable from my USB 3 hub and plug it back in and life was good. This morning, after coming back into the office after break, it will not connect. The computer and Phonitor x the BF was plugged in to were both off over break, but the USB hub still had DC power going into it. Every time I plug the USB cable into the hub, regardless of port, it will not connect. The computer will eventually error out and if I dig into the Device Manager, I see a USB reset error.

I plugged the BF into my work laptop using a 20' USB cable and the computer found the device and set up the appropriate drivers. I did not try running it, but it went a lot farther than with the computer it's normally plugged in to.

Since there are no Bifrost-specific drivers to uninstall and reinstall, I just deleted the offending instance of the USB port and tried again with the same results. I'm going to take it home tonight and plug it into my home computer to see what happens.

Since this seems to be a computer problem and not directly a Bifrost problem, I don't think contacting Schiit will be productive. Does anybody have any ideas of what I might try with this computer?

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #4,669 of 4,957
Happy New Year All! I hope everyone had a great holiday season! Now for the serious business...

I have a Bifrost MB in my work setup with USB Gen 5 that I picked up from Schiit as B-stock back in September of 2020. Up until a couple months ago, it has been working flawlessly with my Win10 computer. Then, a couple months ago, the USB began disconnecting sometime between the last time I used it and when I wanted to use it next. I could simply unplug the USB cable from my USB 3 hub and plug it back in and life was good. This morning, after coming back into the office after break, it will not connect. The computer and Phonitor x the BF was plugged in to were both off over break, but the USB hub still had DC power going into it. Every time I plug the USB cable into the hub, regardless of port, it will not connect. The computer will eventually error out and if I dig into the Device Manager, I see a USB reset error.

I plugged the BF into my work laptop using a 20' USB cable and the computer found the device and set up the appropriate drivers. I did not try running it, but it went a lot farther than with the computer it's normally plugged in to.

Since there are no Bifrost-specific drivers to uninstall and reinstall, I just deleted the offending instance of the USB port and tried again with the same results. I'm going to take it home tonight and plug it into my home computer to see what happens.

Since this seems to be a computer problem and not directly a Bifrost problem, I don't think contacting Schiit will be productive. Does anybody have any ideas of what I might try with this computer?

Thanks!
Try connecting the DAP to the Bifrost, if that doesn't work, then I think it's a problem with USB Gen 5. That's my guess.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #4,671 of 4,957
But a second computer (laptop) recognizes it with a longer (and probably lesser quality) USB cable. True, I didn't actually try to play music through it as it's a bare bones laptop strictly for work. Doesn't that take the BF out of the picture and make it a computer problem somehow?

Update: Plugged the BF directly into the computer with the 20' cable that worked on the laptop. Not recognized. Plugged it into the USB hub - Port Reset Failure. Still going to take it home to see if SPDIF works but I guess an email to Schiit is in my future.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #4,672 of 4,957
But a second computer (laptop) recognizes it with a longer (and probably lesser quality) USB cable. True, I didn't actually try to play music through it as it's a bare bones laptop strictly for work. Doesn't that take the BF out of the picture and make it a computer problem somehow?

Update: Plugged the BF directly into the computer with the 20' cable that worked on the laptop. Not recognized. Plugged it into the USB hub - Port Reset Failure. Still going to take it home to see if SPDIF works but I guess an email to Schiit is in my future.
Well I would get several cables-and try each on those seperate computers to isolate it.
I'm a bit confused-but IMHO sounds like either a cable on the 'bad' computer-or a issue with the computer. But keep in mind-sometimes usb devices going bad can work on one computer-and sometimes not another-esp if there is a age and/or OS difference.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #4,673 of 4,957
Do any other devices work on the USB hub and computer that is proving problematic-- like a USB flash drive? If the flash drive is not recognized, then you may have a USB port issue. Have you tried using another set of USB ports on the computer -- front vs back, etc., as they are on typically on separate chipsets / internal hubs?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #4,674 of 4,957
If your second computer recognises the Bifrost it sounds like there’s nothing wrong with it or the Gen5 USB. One thing I’m thinking of is that you used another cable with that secondary computer; have you tried connecting the Bifrost to your main computer with that cable instead? You might just have a cable issue.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #4,675 of 4,957
If your second computer recognises the Bifrost it sounds like there’s nothing wrong with it or the Gen5 USB. One thing I’m thinking of is that you used another cable with that secondary computer; have you tried connecting the Bifrost to your main computer with that cable instead? You might just have a cable issue.
Yeah, tried the longer cable that worked on the laptop plugged directly into the computer - no dice. Plugged into the hub - no dice as well. @Ripper2860 the hub is used for my wireless mouse as well as the DAC in the Phonitor x. No issues with that AFAIK. Just emailed Schiit. Now to see if they'll reply.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #4,676 of 4,957
Another update....played around with both cables and USB ports, front, rear, and hub. Wasn't seeing anything then I started playing around with the input select button on the BF. After waiting for it to go through it's power-up cycling I noticed it was hesitating when selecting the USB input. Then I heard a relay click and the computer recognized the device. Playing around some more, I went back to the original cable, and original hub port. Began hearing some "scratchiness" (not through headphones) as I wiggled the USB on the back of the BF. I eventually saw the port identifier illuminate meaning it had connection.

It's now working. Dirty contacts on the USB plug/receptacle??? Going to bring in my can of Deoxit tomorrow and give the cable a good spritz. My favorite type of problem - intermittent...NOT.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #4,677 of 4,957
Latest update... BF was still being seen by the computer so didn't mess with it because of being too busy at work and not wanting to break something that currently isn't broken. Received a reply from Schiit saying exactly what I expected - no problem with the BF since it was seen by another computer. The next time it happens though, the cable is going to get a liberal dosing of Deoxit.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #4,678 of 4,957
Just to add another combo that I like, I also enjoy this 2x oversampling with a linear phase smooth (aka slow-roll off) then let BF2 MCB add the 4x OS on top of that so the configuration is as follows: Software oversampling: 2x linear phase slow roll-off + 4x MCB oversampling at the SHARC DSP chip within BF2 OG or 2/64. Results: everything is the same as MCB but with less of the MCB "grunge" to the edge of notes so it's similar to "DSD sound" if you have one of those Delta sigma DACs and you feed it with native DSD
Just want to thank theveterans for this - I use Audirvana on my Mac Mini and I switched on "Upsampling" to "2X Only" using r8brain, and when used with the Bifrost's MCB it took a bit of the bite off the leading edge of transients. Now they sound just a hair more rounded. It's subtle, but it's there. Makes my 2/64 card even more enjoyable (though I still slightly prefer the OG card for long listening sessions).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #4,679 of 4,957
I'm not usually one to stress about shipping delays and I had read, prior to order from Schiit Europe, about their shipping practices not being the best but I never had a case such as this...

I order a Bifrost 2/24 monday last week (on the 15th) when the website mention a 2 day period to get it shipped. To my surprise, I got an email saying it was ready to ship a couple hours after making my order. Also got an email from the transporter at the same time saying they got the details for my order. Since then, I've got 0 updates and its been over a week. Transporter status is still at the initial step of getting the details and no further. I not sure if I should contact Schiit or the transporter to find out if everything is alright. Is this usual behavior?

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #4,680 of 4,957
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back