Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 16, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #4,516 of 4,957
MCB all the way for me, but it doesn't hurt to flash to the newest firmware. It does not change the character of the music -- with thew OG card it just makes NOS available for experimenting.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #4,517 of 4,957
Is it just me, but i already using USB and COAX in BF2.. USB connected to macbook air + music + lossless... and raspberry + digipro plus + volumio + linear power supply to raspberry... no contest.. Rasp sound the best connect using COAX... the background so dark... music so detail and texture...
i am using Reisong A-10 tube amplifier with speaker out converted to XLR output + Sennheiser HD800... yes u can heard the difference....

Aug 17, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #4,518 of 4,957
Is it just me, but i already using USB and COAX in BF2.. USB connected to macbook air + music + lossless... and raspberry + digipro plus + volumio + linear power supply to raspberry... no contest.. Rasp sound the best connect using COAX... the background so dark... music so detail and texture...
i am using Reisong A-10 tube amplifier with speaker out converted to XLR output + Sennheiser HD800... yes u can heard the difference....
I used Allo Digione with Raspberry Pi 4.0, coax output from Digione to BF2 before, the sound is noticeable better than RP USB output to BF2, better in detail, layers, 3D feeling , BF2 Unison is nice, but still distance from good.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #4,519 of 4,957
I used Allo Digione with Raspberry Pi 4.0, coax output from Digione to BF2 before, the sound is noticeable better than RP USB output to BF2, better in detail, layers, 3D feeling , BF2 Unison is nice, but still distance from good.
Good to know somebody else agree with me... for everyone else that using USB, try to use proper COAX/OPTIC/SPDIF sources... you will be suprise.... lets keep the USB just for computer only, haha...

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,520 of 4,957
Is it common practice to leave the bifrost 2/64 running at all times? I've been turning it off at the end of each day, but know the yggy is best left turned on for prolonged periods.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #4,521 of 4,957
I turn my yggy off after listening, haven't noticed any disadvantages the last few years.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #4,522 of 4,957
Good to know somebody else agree with me... for everyone else that using USB, try to use proper COAX/OPTIC/SPDIF sources... you will be suprise.... lets keep the USB just for computer only, haha...

I feed bifrost 2 OG with pi2aes using a BNC to coax cable. Definitely better IMO compared to unison USB out of pi2aes or anything else I've tried USB. Much more tactile sound, much blacker background and more detail/separation. Unison is good but it's tubey, bloomier and more cloudy sounding. I guess depending on the amp and DAC either could fit but I've never found a situation where I preferred unison USB. It's the still the best USB implementation hands down though.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,523 of 4,957
Is it common practice to leave the bifrost 2/64 running at all times? I've been turning it off at the end of each day, but know the yggy is best left turned on for prolonged periods.
It's a good practice to leave electronics on 24/70. Capacitors fully charged last longer, analog stages at the operating temp sound best.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #4,524 of 4,957
Any benefit of running Coax from the SPDIF out of my higher end audio interface into the Bifrost 2/64, as opposed to the USB input I have been using?

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #4,525 of 4,957

The AD D/A chips need a fairly long time to thermally stabilize. They are designed for continously being powered on. Things like MRI scanners use them. So yes, leave it on.

Any benefit of running Coax from the SPDIF out of my higher end audio interface into the Bifrost 2/64, as opposed to the USB input I have been using?

SPDIF and Unison USB should be sonically similar if not the same. Mike Moffat has stated AES/EBU is the best in his opinion, but the Unison is pretty equal to him.

That being said, i can't hear a difference between the coax to my Yggy or Unison. Nor could I hear a difference with the Bifrost 2/64 in a similar setup.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4,527 of 4,957
The AD D/A chips need a fairly long time to thermally stabilize. They are designed for continously being powered on. Things like MRI scanners use them. So yes, leave it on.

SPDIF and Unison USB should be sonically similar if not the same. Mike Moffat has stated AES/EBU is the best in his opinion, but the Unison is pretty equal to him.

That being said, i can't hear a difference between the coax to my Yggy or Unison. Nor could I hear a difference with the Bifrost 2/64 in a similar setup.
My experience is different, streamer is raspberry pi 4B, USB output to DDC or Bifrost 2 directly.

SPDIF from DDC to Bifrost 2, sound quality is better than raspberry pi USB to Bifrost 2. The quality of SPDIF signal is also important. Unison has separated the power and ground from USB, there has reclocker inside Unison, how good is Unison did it's affect the sound quality.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,528 of 4,957
Unison USB™ is USB, Elevated
Bifrost 2/64 features Unison USB, our own USB input based on a general-purpose PIC32 microprocessor, using precision local clocks and complete electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation. No more off-the-shelf USB—this unique, UAC2-compliant input provides the highest performance and lowest power draw of any USB input we’ve offered to date.

I think the « USB Unison » thing makes USB the best choice. Maybe others will comment, but that is what I understood.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,529 of 4,957
Unison USB™ is USB, Elevated
Bifrost 2/64 features Unison USB, our own USB input based on a general-purpose PIC32 microprocessor, using precision local clocks and complete electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation. No more off-the-shelf USB—this unique, UAC2-compliant input provides the highest performance and lowest power draw of any USB input we’ve offered to date.

I think the « USB Unison » thing makes USB the best choice. Maybe others will comment, but that is what I understood.
Unison and other modern USB implementations have always sounded better than aes/spdif to me, with the caveat that on a raspberry pi 4 (I wouldn't bother with the lower models for audio), I would go with a good quality linear power supply and lots of tweaks, like turning off led's, bluetooth, and wifi, and making sure I'm using alsa with no mixer.

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #4,530 of 4,957
My experience is different, streamer is raspberry pi 4B, USB output to DDC or Bifrost 2 directly.

SPDIF from DDC to Bifrost 2, sound quality is better than raspberry pi USB to Bifrost 2. The quality of SPDIF signal is also important. Unison has separated the power and ground from USB, there has reclocker inside Unison, how good is Unison did it's affect the sound quality.
Mike Moffat's words, not mine. He also believes that toslink "sounds like ass"

I can't tell a difference, but that's me. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back