Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 7, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #4,501 of 4,957
I wouldn't mind checking out the 2/64 "card" I recently got a new headphone amp started with gungnir A2 and then moved to BF2 OG. There's something about it with headphones for me that's just freaking perfect. Do prefer my gungnir A2 in the speaker rig though.

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #4,502 of 4,957
I like my 2/64, but I do notice it's slightly v-shaped. It changes voices too much for me, NOS does make them sound more natural, but we all know there's drawbacks with that, it's just not extended enough on a speaker setup to be really fun for me.

For now though, I'm happy garbling up the signal chain by passing it through the Darkvoice pres. It kinda makes the Bifrost on it's own a little glarey and harsh in comparison.
However for headphones it's right about bang on. I kinda hate that all my headphones (HD600, HD650, Penon Serial) are really good at revealing source changes lol, even the Serial is revealing enough to tell when it's compromised by the chain.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #4,503 of 4,957
Sorry if this has been answered before but I have a Burson Conductor and the manual states that an XLR to RCA cable is not recommended cause of the way that particular DAC is built. Is this the case with the Bifrost 2/64 as well or have others had success just using a cable rather than needing a conversion box?
XLR to RCA cable is generally not recommended, you will lose all balanced benefit. it just doesn't work like that...

Aug 8, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,504 of 4,957
My BF2/64 was delivered yesterday morning, Aug 7. I placed the order morning of Aug 4, LOL, a far cry from the 4+ month wait buyers were looking at only a couple months ago.

I love it. That's it, that's my review.

I'm not after some elusive end-game rig, though it sounds significantly and immediately noticeably better (for my tastes) than the ES9028 DAC card in my Jot2. Hell, tbh, it makes no sense for me to even have the modest rig I have now (Jot2 + BF2/64) given the very low hours of use it will get in all likelihood. That said, it is nice to have for when I do want to use. When I am at my home office desk and want to use headphones/IEMs, the BF2/64 will be connected via USB-B to USB-C cable directly to my M1Pro Macbook Pro.

I have my music library on an external SSD (I do not subscribe to any music services; all music played are 16- and 24-bit ALAC). I thought about buying a M2 Mac Mini (to run headless via screen sharing purely for music with my external SSD attached to it) when they were on sale recently, but it seems Apple is making those types of set-ups more iffy with each macOS revision, so again, based on lack of use, decided not worth my effort (I value my time more than I value my money; frankly, don't have enough of either hahahaha).

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #4,505 of 4,957
Sorry if this has been answered before but I have a Burson Conductor and the manual states that an XLR to RCA cable is not recommended cause of the way that particular DAC is built. Is this the case with the Bifrost 2/64 as well or have others had success just using a cable rather than needing a conversion box?
Bifrost 2 and Bifrost 2/64 feature both XLR and RCA outputs, so you wouldn't need to use a converting cable unless you were trying to drive two separate SE-input-only amplifiers, but don't want to use a high-quality RCA splitter or audio xlr-se coupling transformer (e.g. Jensen etc).

If both source (dac) and downstream device (amp) support balanced (XLR), I recommend that over the SE (RCA) connection.

Per section 5 of the linked document, there are different ways to internally wire cables with 3-pin XLR female input and RCA output (designed to connect a balanced source to a single-ended device input): the configuration that would be compatible with the Bifrost 2/64's output XLR's connects XLR pin 1 (gnd) to RCA shield, XLR pin 2 (+ phase) to RCA center pin, XLR pin 3 (- phase) is left unconnected.

https://www.grimmaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/TPR-Assemblies-pinout-sheet.pdf

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #4,506 of 4,957
Bifrost 2 and Bifrost 2/64 feature both XLR and RCA outputs, so you wouldn't need to use a converting cable unless you were trying to drive two separate SE-input-only amplifiers, but don't want to use a high-quality RCA splitter or audio xlr-se coupling transformer (e.g. Jensen etc).

If both source (dac) and downstream device (amp) support balanced (XLR), I recommend that over the SE (RCA) connection.

Per section 5 of the linked document, there are different ways to internally wire cables with 3-pin XLR female input and RCA output (designed to connect a balanced source to a single-ended device input): the configuration that would be compatible with the Bifrost 2/64's output XLR's connects XLR pin 1 (gnd) to RCA shield, XLR pin 2 (+ phase) to RCA center pin, XLR pin 3 (- phase) is left unconnected.

https://www.grimmaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/TPR-Assemblies-pinout-sheet.pdf
I ask cause most people say balanced equipment sounds best through their balanced outs

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #4,508 of 4,957
Aug 15, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #4,509 of 4,957
Hello all.. greeting from Jakarta.. my BF2 is on the way and i will be join this forum and will ask many question about it.... I brought it second hand.. very exciting waiting it to arrive my home.... currently i am using raspberry pi + hifiberry digi pro+ volumio... so i have option to connect to BF2 using USB or COAX... i know it is an old question, but Schiit talk so much about their UNISON USB, so i wondering... if there an option connect using USB or COAX, which way to go ? also my hifiberry digi pro+ have dual clock for 44 and 48... so USB or Coax/Optic ??

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #4,510 of 4,957
Hello all.. greeting from Jakarta.. my BF2 is on the way and i will be join this forum and will ask many question about it.... I brought it second hand.. very exciting waiting it to arrive my home.... currently i am using raspberry pi + hifiberry digi pro+ volumio... so i have option to connect to BF2 using USB or COAX... i know it is an old question, but Schiit talk so much about their UNISON USB, so i wondering... if there an option connect using USB or COAX, which way to go ? also my hifiberry digi pro+ have dual clock for 44 and 48... so USB or Coax/Optic ??
Hello and welcome! I vote for Unison all the way. I've listened on all 3 input options you mention and always seemed to prefer Unison.

Unsolicited advice: If I were going to change anything else in this setup the 1st thing would be changing the player software to either moode or straight mpd with lots of tweaks (if you're into tweaking 🙂 ). After that would be a nice linear power supply for the pi if you don't have one already.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #4,511 of 4,957
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not certain the usb on the hifiberry is an output? Regardless, I came from a hifiberry originally and would say either just use the usb output of the pi (if it is a 4), or upgrade the hat to something from pi2aes. The lite is on sale and sounded like a clear upgrade from hifiberry to me, or the v2 regular if you're up for powering the pi and hat separately.

Volumio was fine when I used it and if I had not sprung for Roon I would probably still use it, just my two cents though

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #4,512 of 4,957
Hello.. it is arrive.. OG BF2.. seems the firmware still haven't been update yet cause i cannot change to NOS by holding switch for more than 5sec... so... should i update it or leave it as it ? the sound very good, and i afraid the sound might change after firmware update??

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #4,513 of 4,957
Hello.. it is arrive.. OG BF2.. seems the firmware still haven't been update yet cause i cannot change to NOS by holding switch for more than 5sec... so... should i update it or leave it as it ? the sound very good, and i afraid the sound might change after firmware update??
The firmware is available on Schiit's website along with instructions
- Ref: https://www.schiit.com/firmware

The MCB mode should still sound the same as before. Pretty sure the firmware only enables NOS as an option and doesn't alter the original filtering.

Happy listening :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #4,514 of 4,957
The firmware is available on Schiit's website along with instructions
- Ref: https://www.schiit.com/firmware

The MCB mode should still sound the same as before. Pretty sure the firmware only enables NOS as an option and doesn't alter the original filtering.

Happy listening :)
Checking the NOS makes you appreciate the MCB more 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back