Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #4,321 of 4,960
No, I wouldn't say leaner at all. The highs are just more extended. No sibilance or anything like that. I e. Cymbals sound even more realistic with no metallic edge to them. Yes, cymbals are made of metal, but they have a certain sound to them "live". The 2/64 brings you closer to that experience, not just with the highs but overall.
The BiFrost 2/64 extends it all, high, low, depth. Total ball of sound with my Asgard 3 and Jot 2.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,322 of 4,960
I recommend the very neutral IOTAVX PA3 power amp. I use a Schiit Sys as a pre. Check out A British Audiophile blog on YouTube for exhaustive reviews. There are other reviews too, all favourable. IOTAV electronics are mail order. This amp sounds better than the amp section of my Musical Fidelity X150 integrated and better than the power amp section of my Prima Luna Prologue One integrated. By the way has anybody substitutes a Schiit MM2 for the dac built in to a Bluesound Node. Was it a worthy improvement?
Thanks for the suggestion I've looked at them and they are very interesting pieces.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #4,324 of 4,960
Are you a 2 channel listener Clone? If so, what pieces do you have married to your 2/64?
Yes, I'm mostly 2 ch. Always liked the way it sounded through the lyr 3. I basically used the lyr 3 as a preamp to warm things up and add punch, and then fed either an amp directly, or for a while an adcom surround receiver. I still have the receiver, BTW, and am planning on either selling cheaply or donating it, if you have any interest. One of the rear amp modules doesn't work so I added a small external class D amp for that channel when I used it (has rca outs for each channel). It's the GFR-700HD. It's just kind of huge so would cost probably around $100 to ship.

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,325 of 4,960
Glad to see you're happy with your new card. Do you at all listen to a 2 channel passive speaker system? If so, can you tell me what equipment you have and what your new card sounds like through your speakers? Thanks
Headphones only at this point I’m afraid…

Jun 9, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #4,326 of 4,960
Yes, I'm mostly 2 ch. Always liked the way it sounded through the lyr 3. I basically used the lyr 3 as a preamp to warm things up and add punch, and then fed either an amp directly, or for a while an adcom surround receiver. I still have the receiver, BTW, and am planning on either selling cheaply or donating it, if you have any interest. One of the rear amp modules doesn't work so I added a small external class D amp for that channel when I used it (has rca outs for each channel). It's the GFR-700HD. It's just kind of huge so would cost probably around $100 to ship.
Thanks for that Clone. I believe I'd like to go new at this point, but thanks for the offer. Have a great weekend.

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #4,327 of 4,960
Thanks emorrison33:

Are you referring to your headphone listening experience or your 2 channel set up when you describe the above? What equipment are you using with the 2/64 in your 2 channel set up? Can you tell me about the 2/64's base extension - how would you describe it?

Would you be able to compare your listening experience between the MMB2 and your BF2/64? Much appreciated if you could.

Thanks
I'm referring to both my headphone listening and my 2 channel. My 2 channel setup is the Bifrost 2/64 into a Freya N, into my Audiolab Omnia in Power amp mode out to my Focal Chora 806 bookshelf speakers. The bass extension is better with the 2/64 card over the Bifrost 2 card. Again I think it's cleaner...punchier. The MMB2 and the 2/64 are very similar, but the 2/64 just ups the game. I would say the Bifrost 2 and the MMB2 are more similar than the 2/64 though. Your just getting more of Schiit's multibit sound with the 2/64 over the MMB2. Soundstage would be the thing that stands out right away. Much wider and deeper with the 2/64.But I'd be happy with ether of them. I have a Modi as well (and a few D/S DAP's), and I much prefer the multibit sound.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,328 of 4,960
but the Empyrean for example benefits nicely from this shift to a more detailed presentation, while maintaining its naturally relaxed vibe.
I found after getting the 2/64 card that I no longer feel the need to EQ the Empy's. I was lowering the 120Hz knob on the Lokius a tiny bit to clean up the bass. I no longer have to do that with the 2/64 card installed. I don't think there is less bass, just more extended and detailed over the Bifrost 2 original card.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #4,329 of 4,960
I'm referring to both my headphone listening and my 2 channel. My 2 channel setup is the Bifrost 2/64 into a Freya N, into my Audiolab Omnia in Power amp mode out to my Focal Chora 806 bookshelf speakers. The bass extension is better with the 2/64 card over the Bifrost 2 card. Again I think it's cleaner...punchier. The MMB2 and the 2/64 are very similar, but the 2/64 just ups the game. I would say the Bifrost 2 and the MMB2 are more similar than the 2/64 though. Your just getting more of Schiit's multibit sound with the 2/64 over the MMB2. Soundstage would be the thing that stands out right away. Much wider and deeper with the 2/64.But I'd be happy with ether of them. I have a Modi as well (and a few D/S DAP's), and I much prefer the multibit sound.
Thanks for your reply emorrison. You are giving me a clearer picture of the differences that lay between the two multi bit dacs. I have read some owners of the BF2 describe it as having a slight analogue signature and maybe accompanied with a touch of darkness; therefore given that you compare the MMB2 more closely with the BF2 then possibly the MMB2 might be the one with a bit more "so called" warmth as compared to the 2/64. I do however like the idea of the expansive soundstage and possibly a touch deeeper base extention. I could start with the MMB2 then advance to the B2/64 or just go straight for the throat. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #4,330 of 4,960
Hello brothers and sisters, I hope you are very well.
I am considering a Bifrost 2/64, but to use it in addition to music, to connect it to the TV via toslink and play xbox starfield and watch movies. I ask if the 2/64 behaves well for any input, usb, toslink and coxial and it performs well?
thank you

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #4,331 of 4,960
I am considering a Bifrost 2/64, but to use it in addition to music, to connect it to the TV via toslink and play xbox starfield and watch movies. I ask if the 2/64 behaves well for any input, usb, toslink and coxial and it performs well?
thank you
I use my 2/64 for music (USB) and TV (Toslink) and it works very well. I haven’t used coaxial, so nothing to report on that front.
But I think you will be happy with the setup.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,333 of 4,960
thank you
I'll add that coax works just fine. I use it from a Wiim Pro streamer, and I can't tell any difference between it and optical from the same device. USB from a PC also works without issue in my experience. Maybe just a couple times has something gotten out of whack with the PC and needed a restart of the Bifrost, but nothing more.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4,334 of 4,960
Hey everyone!

I have a BF2 OG I'm debating upgrading to the 2/64. I've heard that it's more detailed with a bit better stage, but loses some of the warmth. If you have the right chain though, it's likely an upgrade. Like if you get your warmth or coloration from the headphones and amp.

I wanted to ask if ya'll think my chain would work. I use the BF2 with a Quicksilver headamp, which is a tube amp. I then primarily use my ZMF headphones (Verite Closed and Atrium), my DT1990, or my HD600 with this.

Would this chain benefit from a 2/64 upgrade?

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #4,335 of 4,960
Thanks for your reply emorrison. You are giving me a clearer picture of the differences that lay between the two multi bit dacs. I have read some owners of the BF2 describe it as having a slight analogue signature and maybe accompanied with a touch of darkness; therefore given that you compare the MMB2 more closely with the BF2 then possibly the MMB2 might be the one with a bit more "so called" warmth as compared to the 2/64. I do however like the idea of the expansive soundstage and possibly a touch deeeper base extention. I could start with the MMB2 then advance to the B2/64 or just go straight for the throat. Thanks again.
I think that is a good way to go. Get the MMB2 and see if you like the sound. Then go from there. I think the BF2 is slightly more analog sounding over the 2/64. I notice a very slight digital edge in the treble with the 2/64. Not all the time, just every once in awhile in a song. Say 1 song in a 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back