Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Mar 29, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #4,201 of 4,957
Nooo, the Bifrost delay is showing up as 10 to 12 weeks on their website again! I'm worried I won't get it until June, and I'll be going on a long vacation by then. RIP

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #4,202 of 4,957
Nooo, the Bifrost delay is showing up as 10 to 12 weeks on their website again! I'm worried I won't get it until June, and I'll be going on a long vacation by then. RIP
There are few available in used market.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #4,203 of 4,957
I have found both the USB and coaxial interconnects to sound really great from the BF2 and BF2/64. I found no audible step down with the coaxial. However, I did feel that the optical was a slight step down.
Curious to read any opinions regarding the BF2/64’s coax input in terms of sound quality. An audible step down from Unison USB? Am I asking this the correct way? hahahaha

I am devoting a little bit of my mental bandwidth to configure a single “listening station” set-up (IOW, no need for multi-room nor remote access) that would also not require my source/DAC (perhaps a BF2/64) being tethered to my Macbook Pro via USB. I do not currently, nor do I have any plans/desire, subscribe to any streaming services. I would play local music files only in this set-up. I want to control playback either via macOS desktop app & iOS app.

Given that, I am considering a solution such as a Bluesound Node. In my minds-eye, I’d attach an powered external HDD (or perhaps portable bus-powered SSD if the Node’s USB input can power it; need to research this)…..or maybe via a wireless network share from an SSD attached to my Macbook Pro; again, still researching this I know some would wonder why this instead of one of the Pi-based solutions. For me, based on an initial look anyway, BluOS looks pretty reliable, and I like the interface, generally. It always comes down to software for me, it seems. And I like simpler solutions; I don’t want to build a device or have to deal with OS compatibilities. Anyway, I digress.

The Bluesound Node, specifically, does not have USB output, only coax and optical, of which I tend to prefer the former.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #4,205 of 4,957
It was $299. I bought one at that price shortly after it was first released.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #4,208 of 4,957
You’re likely thinking of the upgrade kit for the original Bifrost which was the Unison USB board upgrade. That was (and still is) $150
Speaking of that, it looks like I’ll have to opt for a Bifrost 1 Unison upgrade since Bifrost 2 is delayed until the end of time. RIP

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,209 of 4,957
Curious to read any opinions regarding the BF2/64’s coax input in terms of sound quality. An audible step down from Unison USB? Am I asking this the correct way? hahahaha

I am devoting a little bit of my mental bandwidth to configure a single “listening station” set-up (IOW, no need for multi-room nor remote access) that would also not require my source/DAC (perhaps a BF2/64) being tethered to my Macbook Pro via USB. I do not currently, nor do I have any plans/desire, subscribe to any streaming services. I would play local music files only in this set-up. I want to control playback either via macOS desktop app & iOS app.

Given that, I am considering a solution such as a Bluesound Node. In my minds-eye, I’d attach an powered external HDD (or perhaps portable bus-powered SSD if the Node’s USB input can power it; need to research this)…..or maybe via a wireless network share from an SSD attached to my Macbook Pro; again, still researching this I know some would wonder why this instead of one of the Pi-based solutions. For me, based on an initial look anyway, BluOS looks pretty reliable, and I like the interface, generally. It always comes down to software for me, it seems. And I like simpler solutions; I don’t want to build a device or have to deal with OS compatibilities. Anyway, I digress.

The Bluesound Node, specifically, does not have USB output, only coax and optical, of which I tend to prefer the former.
I used USB when I got my BF2, later I tried Allo Digione with BF2 through coaxial, the sound quality is step up not just one step, more detail, more micro dynamic, more layers, I cannot go back to USB any more, Unison is not bad but not great.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #4,210 of 4,957
I got the Bifrost 1 unison USB upgrade in the mail today. It arrived quickly unlike the Bifrost 2/64, which...never arrives. The unison USB upgrade was pretty easy to install. I think I'm content with this. It's too bad because Schiit could have made $800+ off of me if they didn't have supply issues with their multibit parts.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #4,211 of 4,957
I got the Bifrost 1 unison USB upgrade in the mail today. It arrived quickly unlike the Bifrost 2/64, which...never arrives. The unison USB upgrade was pretty easy to install. I think I'm content with this. It's too bad because Schiit could have made $800+ off of me if they didn't have supply issues with their multibit parts.
Yeah, I *might* be in the market for a DAC in the $750 - $1,000 range in a couple months or so (once I assess whether a mid-priced desktop rig even makes sense for me), and the BF2/64 is looking more and more like a pipe dream. I suppose, I could just order now with the expectation of a long wait, and maybe I can cancel if I ultimately decide desktop rig isn't for me or be happy when/if it actually ships in several months, hahaha.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #4,213 of 4,957
Yeah, I *might* be in the market for a DAC in the $750 - $1,000 range in a couple months or so (once I assess whether a mid-priced desktop rig even makes sense for me), and the BF2/64 is looking more and more like a pipe dream. I suppose, I could just order now with the expectation of a long wait, and maybe I can cancel if I ultimately decide desktop rig isn't for me or be happy when/if it actually ships in several months, hahaha.

Just me personally, having the BF2 OG since launch day in late August 2019 I never had an itch upgrading to another DAC anymore. BF2 OG and I'm sure the 2/64 as well are that good to my ears that I'll have pay a hefty price several its price to truly consider a definitive/noticeable upgrade to it across the board (e.g. a Chord DAVE, Bartok or Mystique X NOS level). Even Yggdrasil OG to my ears didn't truly beat the BF2 OG throughout but IMHO that's because you still have the Schiit house sound that BF2 already has and as such A/Bing them is a lot closer to each other sonically compared to the prior DACs that I've mentioned

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #4,214 of 4,957
Hi, I was thinking of a mid end DAC solution, just purely on the DAC performance, what would you guys think the Mojo 2 or the Bifrost 2/64 is a better DAC? I've heard they're pretty on par to each other but still can't decide yet....Thanks!

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,215 of 4,957
Hi, I was thinking of a mid end DAC solution, just purely on the DAC performance, what would you guys think the Mojo 2 or the Bifrost 2/64 is a better DAC? I've heard they're pretty on par to each other but still can't decide yet....Thanks!
They both are great DAC and it’s just about the preference tbh between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back