Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #4,127 of 4,957
Does playing music really matter? I’ve left my dac on without music playing and it has changed sonically just by being on? What would the science be behind needing to play music on top of having the gear be powered on?
As I understand it, components like capacitors actually change chemically in response to an audio signal over time.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,128 of 4,957
@XGeneX88 I have no measurable or listening proof either way, and while I've seen people do both, playing music through the circuit and exercising the components (and processors) within is just something I've always done to ensure I'm doing everything I can to get to that break-in realization point faster (conceptually). I did also leave my BF 2/64 powered on when I was not playing it in the first month. So, effectively doing it both ways for at least the first 14-21 days actually. On the 13th/14th day is when I effectively decided to not return it and keep it. I found your post interesting due to prior comments and the history of this as it unfolds, and feedback from new BF 2/64 owners recently.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4,129 of 4,957
@XGeneX88 I have no measurable or listening proof either way, and while I've seen people do both, playing music through the circuit and exercising the components (and processors) within is just something I've always done to ensure I'm doing everything I can to get to that break-in realization point faster (conceptually). I did also leave my BF 2/64 powered on when I was not playing it in the first month. So, effectively doing it both ways for at least the first 14-21 days actually. On the 13th/14th day is when I effectively decided to not return it and keep it. I found your post interesting due to prior comments and the history of this as it unfolds, and feedback from new BF 2/64 owners recently.
Interesting.. I will have to try leaving it on while sending a signal. I’d appreciate if anyone else can weigh in on this.. I’d prefer to not leave my pc powered on for no good reason but will do if there are actual benefits to running a signal.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,130 of 4,957
Simply capturing this statement from ^^above^^. Yet when I asked Schiit, they claim there is no burn in time maybe past the first 45 minutes.

My BF 2/64 did smooth out a little more once getting past the 14 day period. Required constant-on and play time too.

Timing of this is too close to the return policy period for anyone on the fence.
I recently purchased the new BF. Completely agree it smooths. Also completely agree the return window — esp. coupled w/ restock fee — is insufficient. I’ll also add I’m pleased with the item.

I don’t know what the industry standard return window is, but I will say that if I were in this business, it would be in my interest to minimize the notion of burn in If my own research suggested a lengthy burn in that neared or exceeded what my company offered for returns. Otherwise a 15 day return window could lose its allure for some customers.

I do enjoy the product Very much.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #4,131 of 4,957
I've been enjoying my BF2 daily for over a year now (and loving it!). Halfway through listening to an album via USB, the music suddenly switched "off", the start-up light sequence started blinking, and there was an audible "hum". The BF2 was also vibrating noticeably to the touch. After trying a number of different power outlets, it's still vibrating + humming and music doesn't play via any source (despite the lights coming on as per usual).

Has anyone else encountered this? Looks like I'll be sending it back for Schiit to take a look under the hood.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #4,132 of 4,957
I've been enjoying my BF2 daily for over a year now (and loving it!). Halfway through listening to an album via USB, the music suddenly switched "off", the start-up light sequence started blinking, and there was an audible "hum". The BF2 was also vibrating noticeably to the touch. After trying a number of different power outlets, it's still vibrating + humming and music doesn't play via any source (despite the lights coming on as per usual).

Has anyone else encountered this? Looks like I'll be sending it back for Schiit to take a look under the hood.
Yep, send it in for repair. Haven't heard any reports of this happening. Keep us posted please :gs1000smile:

Good luck.

Leo

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,133 of 4,957
Yep, send it in for repair. Haven't heard any reports of this happening. Keep us posted please :gs1000smile:
@Mightygrey +1 to what @Luckyleo said. This is one of the reasons I sold my former dac and bought this new bf 2/64 thinking if something were to fail, hopefully the people at Schiit would provide good services and support after the purchase and whenever something like this occurs. Also curious to read later about what occurs for you and these next steps you are taking to rectify the issue. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #4,134 of 4,957
the age old question, is it worth upgrading to the Bifrost 2/64 from a modius to pair with the jotunheim 2 or would it be better to put that money toward an amp upgrade? mainly use the audio-technica adx-5000 and hifiman he6sev2 (i know many say the jot2 isn't sufficient to drive them and it needs more power but I still enjoy them off it for now)

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #4,135 of 4,957
the age old question, is it worth upgrading to the Bifrost 2/64 from a modius to pair with the jotunheim 2 or would it be better to put that money toward an amp upgrade? mainly use the audio-technica adx-5000 and hifiman he6sev2 (i know many say the jot2 isn't sufficient to drive them and it needs more power but I still enjoy them off it for now)
I'm on team "source first" 🙂 You can have the best amp in the world and it will still be limited by the upstream source components. If you like the Jot well enough, you may want to go the 2/64 route. Lots of ppl seem pleasantly surprised w that DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #4,136 of 4,957
+1 to what @theeclone shared. I’m on “team source” too. My downstream components and speakers were set over many years. Owned and demoed some decent DACs prior. Did NOT expect much better from the new BF and/64. Initially planned to just try it and return it. Ended up keeping it, sold my prior DAC since the new BF 2/64 was better aligned with my particular system setup, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #4,137 of 4,957
I too am a sourcerer.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #4,139 of 4,957
I'm starting to believe it. I was never a "DAC's don't matter" guy but had been given the impression that the amp should take priority. although recently a buddy of mine picked up a GS-X Mini and was unimpressed initially using either an SMSL SU-9 or RU6. after purchasing a Gustard R26 he noted a much greater improvement to the overall sound

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #4,140 of 4,957
I’m neither a sourcerer, amperor, trans-, nor cable-guy. Every chain has a weakest link and that’s the one I try to find and upgrade, be it the DAC, amplifier, transducer, or cable. Maybe that makes me a linquer? :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back