Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #3,991 of 4,971
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #3,992 of 4,971
Has anyone regretted doing the BF2/64 upgrade and switched back to their OG card? I have such good synergy in my current setup with the OG BF2 that I hesitate to change anything. I know, I know, I could always switch back to the OG card if I didn’t like the change, but I’m just trying to convince myself to not spend another $300, haha.
If you haven't bought the board already and haven't updated the firmware, like I said above, I would do the firmware update first and live with it in NOS mode for a while and see if that alone doesn't make what you already have in the BF2 more better. Maybe we can call the BF2 with the NOS update the Bifrost 2.1? Any other catchy suggestions?

Personally I'd trust a DAC utilizing the Analog Devices D/A chips more as something I could live with over the long run rather than one utilizing the TI chips, no mater how many they use, especially one done by a talented designer. AD has always made some of my favorite sounding D/A converters. Anyone remember the AD1955? Absolutely great converter.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #3,994 of 4,971
When upgrading your BF2 to 2/64 don't forget to save your original card for when everyone realizes the old board was better! Or to sell it to newer owners who want to try the OG.

It's hard to say I hear much of a difference since I couldn't directly compare the two, but the 2/64 sounds good.

More depth and height and extension on both ends, deeper bass and some nice treble activity.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #3,995 of 4,971
Question for you:

I noticed a B stock BF 2/64 with only $20 off MSRP and it is quickly gone. Why would someone want to save $20 for a B-stock with MRSP of $799?

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #3,996 of 4,971
Question for you:

I noticed a B stock BF 2/64 with only $20 off MSRP and it is quickly gone. Why would someone want to save $20 for a B-stock with MRSP of $799?
$20??? You also get the new unit warranty? I guess it depends on how much one values $20 in your pocket. :beerchug:

Leo

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,997 of 4,971
Question for you:

That one was a silver BF 2/64 for $769 (or $759 ... one of those two prices), so it was at least $50 off normal silver price (black is $799, silver is $829)
$50 off is enough to live with a scuff or two I'd think

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #3,998 of 4,971
Question for you:

Pays for shipping. 😁

I like buying demo/B stock. Albeit with a discount more than 6%.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,999 of 4,971
Ended up with GL KT77 for power tubes. The PL 12AU7''s are musical and great rhythm-not the most detailed-tried some Tung Sol-better-but a bit to analytical-they improved after 7 days-I'm sure they need more break-in. They me a better mix when I recap the Infinity's.
The Prolouge 5 sounds great as-is. It may also benefit from a set of well broken in Tungsol's.
I also picked 2 pair of Shunguang 12AU7's=as I think the older PL tubes where maid by them.
Both Prologue 4 and 5 are damn good sounding out of the box, and I could easily settle for that.
Really don't find the need to mess with my BF2-even the NOS mode (as mentioned I have a Project Dac Box FL (NOS), if need be. Frankly it makes it too soft and lacking dynamics many times-but sometimes it's a perfect fit.
The advantage of the Prologues is they seem to maximize everything played through them.
Stereophile seem to draw the same conclusion with the Prologue Premium.
A reference for testing all types of speakers.
You left with just enjoying the music, not the sound/speakers/equipment.
Kind of relief in many ways-I kick myself for not exploring the tube amp route years ago-as I was well familiar with the sound years ago.
I think if I went the Cit V route it would takes major cash to get them as resolving as these modern Prologues.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #4,000 of 4,971
Anyone have issues with noise when connecting to the 2/64 via USB? The past few days I start to get intermittent audio crackles and pops that are about 12-15 dB less than the music playing. It sounds very similar to surface noise you might get from a record. It sometimes resolves itself when I restart my whole computer (the source feeding the BF2/64). I switched to using optical earlier today and haven't experienced any noise since.

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #4,001 of 4,971
Anyone have issues with noise when connecting to the 2/64 via USB? The past few days I start to get intermittent audio crackles and pops that are about 12-15 dB less than the music playing. It sounds very similar to surface noise you might get from a record. It sometimes resolves itself when I restart my whole computer (the source feeding the BF2/64). I switched to using optical earlier today and haven't experienced any noise since.
Did you try a different USB cable?

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #4,002 of 4,971
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #4,003 of 4,971
@automojo ..."You are left with just enjoying the music, not the sound/speakers/equipment. Kind of relief in many ways-I kick myself for not exploring the tube amp route years ago-as I was well familiar with the sound years ago."

While my last class A/AB solid state amp was in the shop for repair six years ago through a local colleague, on loan he let me borrow his self-built and heavily customized "FrankenDyna" loaner amp (as he named it) which had multiple EL84 power tubes in it. It showed me more than I could have ever imagined about what was possible with my own custom built speakers. More importantly what I'd been missing out on in my own rig for too many years. The next steps for an all-tube system came about swiftly. It took a bit to settle on the right tube preamp and three iterations of different amplifiers and output tubes to get it right for my speakers and expectations.

Congrats on forging ahead with the KT77s and some fine tuning with the au7s. It's really something to get the point you mention about "just enjoying the music". :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back