Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 31, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,811 of 4,957
FYI, I got notification from Schiit that my BF 2/64 has shipped just now. It is exactly 2 weeks since I placed the order.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3,812 of 4,957
FYI, I got notification from Schiit that my BF 2/64 has shipped just now. It is exactly 2 weeks since I placed the order.
BiFrost 2/64 + Jot 2 + Arya Stealth is fantastic.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #3,813 of 4,957
A Schiit MB DAC is going to be more lively, dynamic textured and analog sounding then a typical DS DAC.
They generally are a more meat and potatoes thicker textured sound.. with plenty of bass weight vs the Airy.. technically more accurate lighter presentation of the typical mid priced DS DAC.
IMHO… The best feature is like the old days… spinning a l/p.
You’re thinking about the music, not thinking about your gear.
Hmm i prefer the Ifi Zen dac signature much more than the modi multibit v1 v2 and the og bifrost multibit . Owned the Og Gungnir multibit when it was debuted the fist time but sold right after the modi multibit came out. Maybe because I used the se out from the Gungnir multibit back then so I could not figured out the meaningful differences between it and the cheaper model.
Long story short , as I become mature I found most Schiit dacs very compressed in sound volume fluctuation. It is like they are always try to make every notes as loud as possible so the sound becomes dull and cumbersome after a while. I think the purpose of this tuning is to make the dac seem to sound more detailed. But I can’t stand it.
The multibit things slam and texturize very well though (though I don’t know if it is true to the record).
I want to ask if everyone here think the new Bifrost multibit to be better in this compressed regard ? I have some good deals for it right now. Having more than 2 flavored headphones and amps and dacs is fun to me. Tks

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #3,815 of 4,957
FWIW I'll be listing my black Bifrost2 in the classifieds in the next day or so. Just had my Gustard R26 delivered, don't need two DACs! It's got both boards, the BF2 board and the 2/64.
I’m curious about your impressions of the R26 compared to the Schiit DACs, I’ve read good things but not a ton of feedback or comparisons out there.

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #3,816 of 4,957
I’m curious about your impressions of the R26 compared to the Schiit DACs, I’ve read good things but not a ton of feedback or comparisons out there.
I’ll know in the next few days. I ordered the R26 on impulse a month ago before the 2/64 board had settled in, and which now is a pretty amazing little DAC, so the R26 is going to have to really shine to impress me!

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #3,817 of 4,957
Hi, anybody experienced having their BF2 suddenly exhibit loud humming/vibrating noise, like that of an electric razor? The output is gone as well. The lights are still on and can select the different inputs. But no sound output. I do notice that the relay no longer clicks. It just went like that from normal operation.

Curious as to what caused this, BF2 bought last Sept 2020 and just being used sparingly. I figure this has something to do with the internal transformer. Any insights is appreciated.

Already got an RMA so will be sending this back.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #3,818 of 4,957
@BShaw I’ll know in the next few days. I ordered the R26 on impulse a month ago before the 2/64 board had settled in, and which now is a pretty amazing little DAC, so the R26 is going to have to really shine to impress me!

Should be a fun comparison. I too looked long and hard at the Gustard R26, before I decided on the BF 2/64. Completely different designs, resistor ladder vs. chip w/additional features on the R26. Curious to read your future posts on what sounds different -or- sounds close to the same in NOS mode, if anything.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #3,819 of 4,957
My Bifrost is listed in the classifieds now.
I'll have more time to listen to the Gustard today/tonight, but after 3 hours last night, to be honest I'm slightly disappointed, because I don't think it's doing anything better than the BF, with the exception of a bit more air in the soundstage and a slightly more 3d soundstage in general, but it's not slap you in the face obvious. I'm going to assume burn in will change things. Damn, Jason and Mike really nailed it with that new board, especially regarding detail retrieval and instrument separation, it might go down as a real giant killer. I hope the Gustard opens up and delivers as it's been touted. The big plus for me with the Gustard is the integrated streamer, which eliminates my Zen Stream and USB connection from the chain. The integration is worth a lot to me.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #3,821 of 4,957
@BShaw if we may ask, what other prior DACs have you compared to your BF 2/64 and Gustard R26 so far?
Prior to owning the BF2, I had a handful of less expensive DS DACs, including a Schiit Modius, a Topping E30, an older SMSL (forget the name it died years ago) and internal DACs in Emotivas. So not a DAC expert by any means, but I also listen to other friends' systems for reference. Going from the Modius to the BF2 then to the 2/64 was a great progression.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,822 of 4,957
Prior to owning the BF2, I had a handful of less expensive DS DACs, including a Schiit Modius, a Topping E30, an older SMSL (forget the name it died years ago) and internal DACs in Emotivas. So not a DAC expert by any means, but I also listen to other friends' systems for reference. Going from the Modius to the BF2 then to the 2/64 was a great progression.
Cool. Would love your thoughts on Modius vs BF 2/64? I currently own a Modius myself and have been looking at tons of BF information for awhile. : )

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #3,823 of 4,957
Cool. Would love your thoughts on Modius vs BF 2/64? I currently own a Modius myself and have been looking at tons of BF information for awhile. : )
It's been long enough that I don't think I could give any accurate info, the only thing I recall is when I first got the BF2, I knew I was in a different league from whatever I'd had before. My system is so different now too, it's impossible to compare except for very recent changes.

Edit: Oh dang I just got my 100th post, when does the arm patch come?

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #3,824 of 4,957

@BShaw, A respectable list of prior dacs, and thanks for sharing this with us. Coming from the speaker side of house, I'm enjoying reading what folks are doing here on the head-fi site. I trust a bit more about what I read here, particularly from members who own multiple sets of headphones -and- trying different dacs and comparing with a wider and alternating perspective. It kinda takes the in-room speakers and the room itself out of the equation in my mind when thinking about what you guys are hearing here.

Similar to how some people have a handful+ of headphones, after exhausting myself with speaker building over decades, I became a bit of a cable nut trying way too many different cables (weird/uncommon combinations) with different amps, dacs, sources. Every cable change in my system sounds different, and while its expensive to do, its a lot of fun -vs- playing the room treatment game. And totally "over it" with tube swapping or mods in all my tube gear. Done, plateaued.

Running the BF 2/64 with my best ICs now. While I absolutely cannot recommend anything I'm doing or trying, its been a great learning exercise to see what this lower cost and higher value dac can do with different combinations in my own system. This dac remains in the primary position in my rig with no desire to swap it out for something else. Enjoying it even more, now that it's settled in. I don't think I heard any more changes in sound after playing it 14-21 days max.

>> Looking forward to more posts by BF 2/64 owners putting this updated dac through the paces.<<

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,825 of 4,957
@BShaw, A respectable list of prior dacs, and thanks for sharing this with us. Coming from the speaker side of house, I'm enjoying reading what folks are doing here on the head-fi site. I trust a bit more about what I read here, particularly from members who own multiple sets of headphones -and- trying different dacs and comparing with a wider and alternating perspective. It kinda takes the in-room speakers and the room itself out of the equation in my mind when thinking about what you guys are hearing here.

Similar to how some people have a handful+ of headphones, after exhausting myself with speaker building over decades, I became a bit of a cable nut trying way too many different cables (weird/uncommon combinations) with different amps, dacs, sources. Every cable change in my system sounds different, and while its expensive to do, its a lot of fun -vs- playing the room treatment game. And totally "over it" with tube swapping or mods in all my tube gear. Done, plateaued.

Running the BF 2/64 with my best ICs now. While I absolutely cannot recommend anything I'm doing or trying, its been a great learning exercise to see what this lower cost and higher value dac can do with different combinations in my own system. This dac remains in the primary position in my rig with no desire to swap it out for something else. Enjoying it even more, now that it's settled in. I don't think I heard any more changes in sound after playing it 14-21 days max.

>> Looking forward to more posts by BF 2/64 owners putting this updated dac through the paces.<<
I'd love to know what you're favorite ICs are. I'm like you, primarily a speaker guy, and also built my own, Jeff Bagby designed Auricles, RAAL 70/20s and Satori 6.5" MW with crossovers that cost almost as much as the drivers :) I'm with you on the tubes too, I did extensive modding to my current amp, and am currently looking at my shelf o' tubes and deciding which ones are going to go. I still like to mix it up from time to time, but I think 4 sets of output tubes really ought to last me the next couple of decades, not to mention all the preamp tubes......when I switched ICs a few months ago to Requisite silver/copper with KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs, things just tightened up and detail took a small but noticeable step up.
I agree with you about this forum, I find it to be full of very experienced and helpful people, not a lot of rancor, and genuine enthusiasm for our shared love of audio!
I just sold my BF2/64 as I've posted before, but still have a warm spot in my little ole heart, that's one hell of a DAC for less than 1K. The OG BF2 was a real character and enjoyable, but never gave me the resolution I was looking for, but the 2/64 is on par with my new Gustard R26 in that regard. To me, the 2/64 board made the BF a true audiophile level DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back