Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,841 of 4,957
Hi everyone. I haven't participated much in this thread but wanted to pop in to say I replaced an OG first release Gungnir multibit with the new Bifrost 2/64 in m y living room system and to these ears, the Bifrost sounds better. I also prefer the standard mode to NOS. YMMV of course.
Nice!

I replaced my OG Bifrost MB with the Bifrost 2/64 not too long ago.

As a Yggdrasil user, would you say the BF2 sounds significantly inferior? I’m tempted to snag a close out LIM. I don’t have the hearing to tell minute difference. :gs1000smile:

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #3,842 of 4,957
Nice!

As a Yggdrasil user, would you say the BF2 sounds significantly inferior? I’m tempted to snag a close out LIM. I don’t have the hearing to tell minute difference. :gs1000smile:
The systems they are currently used on are vastly different, one being a higher-end headphone setup and the other being for 2-channel music in my living room, so it's impossible to compare. But when I first got Yggdrasil I directly A/B compared it to the Gungnir MB in my headphone system and found Yggdrasil to be vastly superior to my taste. Indeed, the Yggdrasil replaced a DAC that was 10X more expensive (Wavelength Crimson.) The Gungnir went into the living room system to replace a broken Kora that was almost 20 years old.

In my opinion, if you can afford to try a Yggdrasil you should, especially with Unison if you use USB. To my ears, Unison is a very nice upgrade with improvements in clarity and dynamics.

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #3,843 of 4,957
The systems they are currently used on are vastly different, one being a higher-end headphone setup and the other being for 2-channel music in my living room, so it's impossible to compare. But when I first got Yggdrasil I directly A/B compared it to the Gungnir MB in my headphone system and found Yggdrasil to be vastly superior to my taste. Indeed, the Yggdrasil replaced a DAC that was 10X more expensive (Wavelength Crimson.) The Gungnir went into the living room system to replace a broken Kora that was almost 20 years old.

In my opinion, if you can afford to try a Yggdrasil you should, especially with Unison if you use USB. To my ears, Unison is a very nice upgrade with improvements in clarity and dynamics.
Now with the plus version, I am going to get an yggy and push my bf 2/64 to my folkvangr setup.

Is your Yggy OG or LIM? thanks

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #3,844 of 4,957
Now with the plus version, I am going to get an yggy and push my bf 2/64 to my folkvangr setup.

Is your Yggy OG or LIM? thanks
I have one of the first 100 shipped units, that was later upgraded to A2 analog board and Unison USB. So OG I suppose.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #3,845 of 4,957
Nice!

Dig your avatar, E-type, v12 v4. I had a 1971 v2.5. Love Jags.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #3,847 of 4,957
Just a update on my end.
I ended up choosing a Primaluna Prologue 4 over the Rouge Stereo 100.
It wasn't even close.
Dethroned my excellent sounding PA2400 (not the Sig 1.5 however).
Amazing how well this drive my still stock Infinity RSiiia's.
Stock tubes and all-this is one heck of a amp.
Should have picked one up years ago-esp when K. Deal was blowing them out.
Everything he mentions about it is frankly true..
The 2/64 card is still on the back burner.
I need to live with this for awhile.
I good thing for sure.
But with time constraints-I may be recapping the Infinite's before the card.
They sound so good anyway-one would wonder why.
Superior Z's frankly will benefit most speakers in a good way-never heard a bad install with these.
Hard to say about most components.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #3,848 of 4,957
Hello there, new to headfi! I have a number of Schiit products though and am very happy with the Bifrost 2/64 upgrade. In my system I have a Raspberry Pi running Volumio sending to my Bifrost via USB and that's my primary source. The Bifrost outputs to a Freya+ and it to two Vidars which drive a pair of Tekton Pendragons.

I was happy with the Bifrost prior to the upgrade but it seemed a bit "dark" in my system, which to me means a bit of emphasis on the mid to lower frequencies. I got the Bifrost 2 sometime in 2021 and the upgrade card around August or September, so I've had some time to listen to it before and after.

After the upgrade I felt like I had the high end sparkle that I felt was a little lacking and overall just an even better sounding DAC. I don't listen to headphones very often so I don't have any thoughts on that, but if I upgrade to the Yggy I will definitely move the Bifrost to my computer setup and that might change!

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #3,849 of 4,957
Hello there, new to headfi! I have a number of Schiit products though and am very happy with the Bifrost 2/64 upgrade. In my system I have a Raspberry Pi running Volumio sending to my Bifrost via USB and that's my primary source. The Bifrost outputs to a Freya+ and it to two Vidars which drive a pair of Tekton Pendragons.

I was happy with the Bifrost prior to the upgrade but it seemed a bit "dark" in my system, which to me means a bit of emphasis on the mid to lower frequencies. I got the Bifrost 2 sometime in 2021 and the upgrade card around August or September, so I've had some time to listen to it before and after.

After the upgrade I felt like I had the high end sparkle that I felt was a little lacking and overall just an even better sounding DAC. I don't listen to headphones very often so I don't have any thoughts on that, but if I upgrade to the Yggy I will definitely move the Bifrost to my computer setup and that might change!
Welcome! We are of the same mind. Also primarily a speaker listener (don't like the term 2ch. Aren't headphones also 2ch? 🤪). My impressions were exactly the same RE: OG and 2/64.

Also, from my experience, you can wring even more quality out of the BF2 by using a source with a better quality USB implementation than that found in an Rpi (even the Rpi 4 wasn't the best in that regard to my ears). Also, been a while since I looked at Volumio, but does it use ALSA drivers? I use Kodi and was surprised at what a difference setting it to use ALSA made.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,850 of 4,957
Welcome! We are of the same mind. Also primarily a speaker listener (don't like the term 2ch. Aren't headphones also 2ch? 🤪). My impressions were exactly the same RE: OG and 2/64.

Also, from my experience, you can wring even more quality out of the BF2 by using a source with a better quality USB implementation than that found in an Rpi (even the Rpi 4 wasn't the best in that regard to my ears). Also, been a while since I looked at Volumio, but does it use ALSA drivers? I use Kodi and was surprised at what a difference setting it to use ALSA made.
Yeah Volumio uses alsa, and I've been impressed with how it sounds from the pi. I've used moOde as well and it's pretty good but had stability issues with it. I have a TV and Blu ray player that I use as sources as well via toslink and all sound pretty amazing. I use Kodi on the TV but mostly for movies and it is nice.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,851 of 4,957
Yeah Volumio uses alsa, and I've been impressed with how it sounds from the pi. I've used moOde as well and it's pretty good but had stability issues with it. I have a TV and Blu ray player that I use as sources as well via toslink and all sound pretty amazing. I use Kodi on the TV but mostly for movies and it is nice.
Nice! Volumio is looking real good these days. As I understand it there's a paid version but iirc it's for if you want to include streaming services, which I don't anyway.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #3,852 of 4,957
Just a update on my end.
I ended up choosing a Primaluna Prologue 4 over the Rouge Stereo 100.
It wasn't even close.
Dethroned my excellent sounding PA2400 (not the Sig 1.5 however).
Amazing how well this drive my still stock Infinity RSiiia's.
Stock tubes and all-this is one heck of a amp.
Should have picked one up years ago-esp when K. Deal was blowing them out.
Everything he mentions about it is frankly true..
The 2/64 card is still on the back burner.
I need to live with this for awhile.
I good thing for sure.
But with time constraints-I may be recapping the Infinite's before the card.
They sound so good anyway-one would wonder why.
Superior Z's frankly will benefit most speakers in a good way-never heard a bad install with these.
Hard to say about most components.
I love PrimaLuna amps. I have a Dialogue Premium HP. I got it Demo price when prices were sane. Still on stock tubes after 5 years in my HT.

Apparently my local hifi shop had the Paradigm rep bring the top end ($25k/pair) speakers. He was blown away how amazing the Dialogue sounded.

As for the 2/64 upgrade, I doubt it will make as much difference in sound compared to recapping your infinitys

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #3,853 of 4,957
I love PrimaLuna amps. I have a Dialogue Premium HP. I got it Demo price when prices were sane. Still on stock tubes after 5 years in my HT.

Apparently my local hifi shop had the Paradigm rep bring the top end ($25k/pair) speakers. He was blown away how amazing the Dialogue sounded.

As for the 2/64 upgrade, I doubt it will make as much difference in sound compared to recapping your infinitys
Interesting-thanks for the tips.
I may still just leave the BF2 as is.
I have a friend that wants a 2/64 update anyway.
This guy still has the O.E. tubes.
Reminds me of a modern version of my dad's kit built Cit V (Cit IV preamp).
Same power and smoothness.
That's interesting with the Paradigm rep.
These lil' amps have some serious drive, I think alot of people just don't realize how well they sound.
I just need to find a good source for the O.E. tubes-as Upscale seems to want to sell only to customers that bought the amps from them.
I agree on the prices-I got the amp for less then 1-k.
A ok deal-compared to the new Evo-a great deal.
I liked the Rogue construction wise (super heavy) but it just sounded eh.
Could be the KT-120's not sure.
But at their prices-I wasn't interested in spending another 5+ on tubes.
Just my opinion-it should sound right out of the box-or close.
This was way off for me.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,854 of 4,957
These lil' amps have some serious drive, I think alot of people just don't realize how well they sound.
I just need to find a good source for the O.E. tubes-as Upscale seems to want to sell only to customers that bought the amps from them.

A Citation V reborn is definitely my dream amp. Ampsandsound makes one called Zion Monos and will definitely put that on my short list when I'm ready to go back to speaker setup

IMG_7131_5000x.jpg

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3,855 of 4,957
I may still just leave the BF2 as is.
I have a friend that wants a 2/64 update anyway.
I agree on the prices-I got the amp for less then 1-k.
A ok deal-compared to the new Evo-a great deal.
I liked the Rogue construction wise (super heavy) but it just sounded eh.
Could be the KT-120's not sure.
But at their prices-I wasn't interested in spending another 5+ on tubes.
Just my opinion-it should sound right out of the box-or close.
This was way off for me.
Interesting about Kevin Deal. I’m pretty sure he is the US distributor. In essence, all amps bought in the US were bought from him.

KT120 vs EL34 will absolutely make a difference. I have the EL34. Mine was literally the amp the paradigm rep listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back