Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #3,391 of 4,957
My quick assessment of BF2 vs BF2/64 upgrade after a 2 hour warm-up and 2 hours of listening on my 2-channel rig...

BF2/64 impressions.

1. More holographic (3D) with a tad wider soundstage and a noticeably deeper soundstage.
2. Seems FASTER. To me attacks seems quicker and more precise, but not at the expense of decay.
3. Notably deeper bass -- not louder but more extended and with more authority in the lower registers.
4. A bit more open and airy at the top frequencies.
5. Excellent instrument placement and space.
6. More overall detail without sounding grainy or etched.
7. A higher level of PRaT that had me tapping my toe and nodding my head on tracks that while engaging never engaged me to that level.

Was it worth it? It most definitely was for me. :wink:
This sums up my experience and puts it into words better than I was able to. In addition to Wavetheory's review, this is a perfect summary IMHO.

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #3,392 of 4,957
I rarely try DSD playback to BF2 well duh it can only convert PCM, but pretty impressed with Roon's DSD to PCM DSP capability. Much better conversion than using Foobar2000's SACD plug-in.

Untitled.jpg

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,393 of 4,957
Finally got access to Windows and made a proper firmware update card (FAT32, 32k clusters, just files from the firmware zip). Bifrost 2 does normal boot dance, not the upgrade light show, with the card inserted firmly label up. I guess it's time to contact support, I hate to send it back.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,394 of 4,957
Finally got access to Windows and made a proper firmware update card (FAT32, 32k clusters, just files from the firmware zip). Bifrost 2 does normal boot dance, not the upgrade light show, with the card inserted firmly label up. I guess it's time to contact support, I hate to send it back.
Have you checked to see if you somehow have the latest firmware? Press the input/source button in for 3 seconds and let go. See if you're in NOS mode by whether the LED subtly dims and brightens.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,396 of 4,957
The files are in the root of the SDcard and not in a folder, right?

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #3,397 of 4,957
The files are in the root of the SDcard and not in a folder, right?
Yes. These are all great questions, thanks for all the advice everyone. Both files are in the root. Latest firmware is not installed, holding the button does not initiate the NOS throbber.

I had taken the case off on the first attempt to make sure I understood how to insert the card correctly.

Tried 3 different 8gb SD cards, formatted to 32kb clusters with FAT32. Tried a quick format, tried a not quick format. Confirmed there were no hidden files by running dir /ah... also showing hidden file in Windows explorer. I've tried putting a little pressure on the card to try make sure the contacts were making contact. Looked in the slot with a flashlight, appears all clear.

Nothing has made the boot light sequence do anything other than what it normally does with no card inserted. Feeling like a newb here.

I've sent a message through https://www.schiit.com/contact/help-support, is that the best way to engage Schiit support?

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #3,398 of 4,957
Sorry to hear about your difficulty flashing the firmware. Hopefully Schiit support will provide assistance needed and a return will not be required.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,399 of 4,957
Yes. These are all great questions, thanks for all the advice everyone. Both files are in the root. Latest firmware is not installed, holding the button does not initiate the NOS throbber.

I had taken the case off on the first attempt to make sure I understood how to insert the card correctly.

Tried 3 different 8gb SD cards, formatted to 32kb clusters with FAT32. Tried a quick format, tried a not quick format. Confirmed there were no hidden files by running dir /ah... also showing hidden file in Windows explorer. I've tried putting a little pressure on the card to try make sure the contacts were making contact. Looked in the slot with a flashlight, appears all clear.

Nothing has made the boot light sequence do anything other than what it normally does with no card inserted. Feeling like a newb here.

I've sent a message through https://www.schiit.com/contact/help-support, is that the best way to engage Schiit support?
the micro SD card is fully seated, with about half protruding from the back. I suspect you're pushing the card too far into the unit, to achieve a flush fit, as in a phone.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,400 of 4,957
These have a 30day return policy :)
http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html
Had one of these, and while it was the most gorgeous TOSLINK cable I have ever seen (though some of that scratches off quickly with use), it quickly stopped supporting 192 kHz somehow (while other cables in the same spot continued to support it) and so I had to send it back. While they couldn't confirm the issue, they did give me a refund, so I can vouch for their service.

This one is also plastic, but it has a lot of fiber optic strands inside, which should be better than one strand.
https://www.sysconcept.ca/index.php
Have quite a few of these, some with only TOSLINK connectors, some with TOSLINK and mini TOSLINK connectors, and they have all worked flawlessly. However, none of mine are longer than 6 ft, and even cheap, thin cables tend to support 192 kHz just fine at that distance. I'm not prepared to claim they sound better due to lack of deliberate comparisons (I use TOSLINK into a reclocker anyway, and then Coax or BNC), but this is my current go-to cable.

That said, the affordable Kabeldirekt TOSLINK cables have treated me well, too, though the longest one I have (25 ft) occasionally messes up some bits at 192 kHz sample rate.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #3,401 of 4,957
Please advise which TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable to choose. Which one to choose plastic or glass? Which manufacturer's cable is better? I'm completely confused about the choice. I do not want to take an expensive cable and have the same result as with a cheaper one.

Sep 3, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,402 of 4,957
If you’re going to go NOS
You better resurrect that old tube buffer…
Please advise which TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable to choose. Which one to choose plastic or glass? Which manufacturer's cable is better? I'm completely confused about the choice. I do not want to take an expensive cable and have the same result as with a cheaper one.
Just a FIY
In my experience cables, it’s a trial and error thing.
However… my recommendation would be to stick with the name brand.
They generally don’t go south and if they do that will be covered by the manufactures warranty
Maybe start out with a more modest cable so you’re not out a lot of money.
That’s generally the way most people get into cables they don’t buy the most expensive ones first.
Pangea, The cable I’m using (SE version) the designer puts a lot of thought into the cable and frankly it works well and they always have pretty darn good reviews.
Conversely-you can’t really go wrong with Wireworld.
Give him my experience with her other cables, I can imagine the starlight 7 hits way above its price of admission.
If you buy it from a reputable retailer they have a return policy.
Maybe you have to pay a little return shipping but you get to use a cool cable for 30 days minimum-seems like a fair trade off

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,403 of 4,957
If you’re going to go NOS
You better resurrect that old tube buffer…

Just a FIY
In my experience cables, it’s a trial and error thing.
However… my recommendation would be to stick with the name brand.
They generally don’t go south and if they do that will be covered by the manufactures warranty
Maybe start out with a more modest cable so you’re not out a lot of money.
That’s generally the way most people get into cables they don’t buy the most expensive ones first.
Pangea, The cable I’m using (SE version) the designer puts a lot of thought into the cable and frankly it works well and they always have pretty darn good reviews.
Conversely-you can’t really go wrong with Wireworld.
Give him my experience with her other cables, I can imagine the starlight 7 hits way above its price of admission.
If you buy it from a reputable retailer they have a return policy.
Maybe you have to pay a little return shipping but you get to use a cool cable for 30 days minimum-seems like a fair trade off
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGOPSE&variation=1.0
is this cable you are using?

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,404 of 4,957
Opps
Sorry about the tube buffer thing.
Yes the Pangea.
Being it’s connecting a Polk XM tuner to the BF2 OG… it seemed an appropriate cable.
If I was dealing with CDs or a transport I might look at the Wireworld.
It’s hard to say it sounds darn good.
Getting back to NOS… kind of matter of taste.
The OG BF2 has so much midrange/ midbass detail and texture.
This DAC is about as analog sounding as your going to get-regardless of price.
Kinda the point of NOS too.
Sound analog.
But NOS doesn’t sound analog- regardless of the DAC.
The most tolerable simple ones are the Muse TDAx4, and the DAC BOX S Fl- IMHO.
But they all wear thin after awhile- why? Frankly they make some recordings sound horrible.
The OG BF2 is just the opposite…it makes everything sound good to great…even 1st gen’s XM radio, crappy YouTube stuff whatever.
And this ain’t a common trait in DAC’s I assure you.
The aforementioned Chord 2Quete is another one.
And given the reviews…from what I’m deciphering, it appears the 2/64 moves away from this.
Nice it closer to the Gumby and Yiggy.
While I can appreciate the sound of each one of those.
I simply like the first generation Bifrost 2, better the the Gumby MB or the several variations of Yiggys I’ve tried.

Nothing wrong with the 2/64 change, the reasoning makes sense.
Just not what I look for in a DAC.
Good to have options!!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #3,405 of 4,957
Has anyone here compared the BF2 with the Musical Fidelity MX-DAC? I have the BF2 but I'm curious to try the MX-DAC. There is one up for sale on CAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back