Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 31, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #3,377 of 4,957
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3,379 of 4,957
Full review of 2/64 is up. Lots of ground to cover. Use timestamps to watch parts relevant to you:

Enjoy!

Very in-depth!

Had a couple questions as I have the OG BF2.

Setup:
- Jotenheim amp
- OG BF2
- Aeon RT

It's my first foray into anything past headphones and a portable amp. It's ruined everything else for me. Since it's my first/only setup, I don't have very much to compare it to.

I was reading around and it seems the amp is probably the way to go to keep/add warmth if I went for the 2/64. Does the Jotenheim still work for that or would another (similarly priced) amp be better?

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #3,380 of 4,957
Very in-depth!

Setup:
- Jotenheim amp
- OG BF2
- Aeon RT

It's my first foray into anything past headphones and a portable amp. It's ruined everything else for me. Since it's my first/only setup, I don't have very much to compare it to.

I was reading around and it seems the amp is probably the way to go to keep/add warmth if I went for the 2/64. Does the Jotenheim still work for that or would another (similarly priced) amp be better?
The Jout will probably be fine, but if you don't need the preamp stage and want to save some $$, people seem to like the Aeon RT/Vali 2 combination. The tube stage will definitely add warmth to the sound, and let you tweak what you hear via tube rolling. Or if you want a preamp stage and a lot more power, the new Lyr+ will do the same, but for more $$ than the Jout. What kind of music do you listen to most, and why do you think you suspect you'll need more warmth than the Jout provides?

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,381 of 4,957
Very in-depth!

Setup:
- Jotenheim amp
- OG BF2
- Aeon RT

Demoed the Aeon Flow OG with the Jot 2 at Schiitr about 2 months ago right before it was replaced by the Folk. From my memory, it’s not too bright but it definitely reveals Jot’s brighter nature in the treble region. Where I truly like the Aeons is with Mjolnir2. Treble is now more extended without sounding aggressive and that planar slam is well executed! It’s not a warm sounding amp, but it’s less fatiguing sounding than Jot 2

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,382 of 4,957
My quick assessment of BF2 vs BF2/64 upgrade after a 2 hour warm-up and 2 hours of listening on my 2-channel rig...

BF2/64 impressions.

1. More holographic (3D) with a tad wider soundstage and a noticeably deeper soundstage.
2. Seems FASTER. To me attacks seems quicker and more precise, but not at the expense of decay.
3. Notably deeper bass -- not louder but more extended and with more authority in the lower registers.
4. A bit more open and airy at the top frequencies.
5. Excellent instrument placement and space.
6. More overall detail without sounding grainy or etched.
7. A higher level of PRaT that had me tapping my toe and nodding my head on tracks that while engaging never engaged me to that level.

Was it worth it? It most definitely was for me. :wink:
Everything Ripper just said. I'm listening to opera on a pair of Altec Model 19 clones and Bottlehead Monamour SET amps. Long time original Bifrost 2 owner. The listening space got deeper. The details are clearer. This is not a minor change. In my system, it's major and most welcome.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,384 of 4,957
Just received my Bifrost 2/64 card. Slapped the SD card in the Bifrost 2... got the normal boot lights, not the firmware upgrade lightshow. Made sure it was seated well, tried again a half dozen times... stuck it in my computer and verified the firmware on the card is the latest by downloading the latest firmware

Formatted a new card (FAT32 w/ 32k clusters), copied the firmware over... put it in the Bifrost... same thing.

Could the card reader in my Bifrost be borked? Anyone else run into this?

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,385 of 4,957
Just received my Bifrost 2/64 card. Slapped the SD card in the Bifrost 2... got the normal boot lights, not the firmware upgrade lightshow. Made sure it was seated well, tried again a half dozen times... stuck it in my computer and verified the firmware on the card is the latest by downloading the latest firmware

Formatted a new card (FAT32 w/ 32k clusters), copied the firmware over... put it in the Bifrost... same thing.

So the card Schiit gave you didn't work? Was it inserted label up? What size card was the other one you formatted? Should be at least 4GB.

Also, was it by chance formatted on a mac? If so watch out for extraneous macos files on the card.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,386 of 4,957
The card Schiit gave me did not work... but prior to me trying it I did put it in a Mac. Which might have dumped extra stuff on the card. Ugh.

The replacement card I prepared... I also prepared on a Mac. Extra junk. Going to try my best to strip it out and try again. There's a .Spotlight-V100 directory I'm having trouble getting rid of. Blech.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #3,387 of 4,957
The card Schiit gave me did not work... but prior to me trying it I did put it in a Mac. Which might have dumped extra stuff on the card. Ugh.

The replacement card I prepared... I also prepared on a Mac. Extra junk. Going to try my best to strip it out and try again. There's a .Spotlight-V100 directory I'm having trouble getting rid of. Blech.
I did mine on a mac but completely in the terminal without ever opening it in the finder, and then making sure to delete all the mac junk in the terminal after flashing, then ejecting from the terminal. Then it worked. Also I ended up using a 200GB card that worked great, so don't be afraid to go bigger!

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #3,388 of 4,957

I had the same problem. I wiped the card and re-formatted it. My Windows 11 won't do it. I used AOMEI (freeware). Then I copied over the files and put the card into the Bifrost. Done.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #3,389 of 4,957

When I got the card, I couldn't seat the card or the firmware card easily. I took the lid off and had absolutely no problems. It was hard for me to determine whether or not both were placed properly until I took that lid off.

Leo

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,390 of 4,957
'Muskrat Love' never sounded better. :wink:
What about "Love is All" from your other most favorite artist? :slight_smile:

1662072931356.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back