Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 26, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,331 of 4,957
If you've ordered the 2/64 upgrade card in the last few days, have you received a shipment notification?
Schiit.com shows 10-12 week shipping timeframe.

New 2/64 models are in stock for shipping. I can't decide if I should wait for a card upgrade, or just buy a new one and sell my OG BF2.
I didn’t order the upgrade card but I did order a Bifrost 2/64 this morning. I got a ship notification and tracking number about 4 hrs later 👍🏼

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #3,332 of 4,957
To those waiting for your 64 card. Anticipate. The happiest times are waiting for a thing. It's never the reality of the thing, but the anticipation of the thing.

In this case, the 64 card wait is worth it.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,334 of 4,957
Have a setup using either the topping M50 or the SMSL SD-9 as a source… FLAC music library is on a SSD drive .. DAC’s being used Schiit Bifrost 2/64, SMSL DO200 and Topping D70s … balanced into a Schiit Lokius .. balanced into a Rotel RA-1572 MKII … speakers Wharfedale Diamond 225 & Aperion MKII Planar—Magnetic Ribbon Super Tweeters … older version of SVS SB-1000 without separate tuning app

I’m trying to figure out which DAC and digital input to use???

So far I’m leaning towards the I2S from M50 into D70s and I2S from SD-9 into DO200

At least to my ears

I tried using USB into Bifrost but SQ just seems better using I2S on the other DACs

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3,335 of 4,957
I think you found your own preferred sound signature which is delta sigma preference! That’s a good thing since it’ll you from chasing DACs

Aug 27, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #3,336 of 4,957
I think you found your own preferred sound signature which is delta sigma preference! That’s a good thing since it’ll you from chasing DACs
That may be- for myself why I like the BF2… to me… it doesn’t have that typical signature Schiit MB sound.
Frankly I’ve been enjoying it as well as the Modi 3+, and now a Chord 2Qute ( all 3 in a 1.5 system) so much… when I heard about the upgrade, I neglected to think about my journey getting there at first.
And that’s not meant to take anything away from the MB’s.
Frankly to tell you the truth I could be completely happy with that Modi 3+…
And I have a very revealing system with heavily modded ESS AMT3’s with Great Heils, and soon to be modded/ recapped original pair of Infinity RSiiia’s with Emits.
The synergy of the Modi( as well as the other 2) is amazing IMHO.
A $90 DAC.
Pretty cool stuff!
To me that says a lot about the humble Modi- as well as Schiit
Its probably wise to get a handle on what you prefer, DS, MB- NOS, if you’re trying to save any type of hassle as well as $.
If its part of the hobby for you and that doesn’t bother you I’d say have a it!!.
To me the strengths of the MB , are textures, layering rhythm/drive and a solid image.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #3,337 of 4,957
Wow. This Schiit (sorry) gets better after burn-in?!

Not great at describing sound, but what I'm hearing is much more detail. Everything has more impact. Female vocals are much softer. Not detecting a big difference in sound stage, but instrument separation is more defined. I can hear where bass notes begin and end where I normally can't (if that makes any sense). Drums sound HUGE now. Kind of like the old BF2 was a little under water in comparison. Hope that's in some way helpful to anyone who is undecided.

Awesome. I was a little worried if the upgrade would be worth it. So glad I took the BF2/64 leap. Won't be going back. An instant and noticeable upgrade. I'm pretty pleased.

Amp is Burson Soloist 3X
Headphones Abyss AB-1266

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,338 of 4,957
Wow. This Schiit (sorry) gets better after burn-in?!

Not great at describing sound, but what I'm hearing is much more detail. Everything has more impact. Female vocals are much softer. Not detecting a big difference in sound stage, but instrument separation is more defined. I can hear where bass notes begin and end where I normally can't (if that makes any sense). Drums sound HUGE now. Kind of like the old BF2 was a little under water in comparison. Hope that's in some way helpful to anyone who is undecided.

Awesome. I was a little worried if the upgrade would be worth it. So glad I took the BF2/64 leap. Won't be going back. An instant and noticeable upgrade. I'm pretty pleased.

Amp is Burson Soloist 3X
Headphones Abyss AB-1266
Wow, I also have a BURSON Soloist and I'm waiting for my Schiit 2/64
There were a lot of statements not in favor of 2/64, I even got worried and thought that I bought Schiit in vain, but now I see that it was not in vain.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #3,339 of 4,957
Wow, I also have a BURSON Soloist and I'm waiting for my Schiit 2/64
There were a lot of statements not in favor of 2/64, I even got worried and thought that I bought Schiit in vain, but now I see that it was not in vain.
I think you’re pointing out the prevailing trend in audio.
Not everything, including for myself, changes in a product that it’s more than satisfactory, is a step forward or a positive addition to one’s system.
What works for one person doesn’t work for another.
If this wasn’t the case there wouldn’t be so many alternatives available on the free market.
I love Schiit products, but some times it becomes on “us against them” type of proposal.
Definitely isn’t helpful in real life nor is it in audio.
Jason and Mike have a great company-
It’s a great story and the proof is in the products -but they certainly don’t rule my audio system, or my choices.
You’re not obligated to like everything they do-it doesn’t have to change your appreciation of the company, products or its founders.
There’s lots of good information, but as it was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago you have to figure out what’s good for yourself, in your system, By relying on your own personal experiences.. along with the helpful mix of the cool reviews here.
I wouldn’t worry about the upgrade if it doesn’t work you can easily sell the board.
But please fill us in on your comparisons because all that information is great and helpful To build a database of sorts other people can use going foward.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #3,340 of 4,957
Those that have the new Bifrost 2/64, how does it compare with the Gumby? Do the comparison notes from the previous Bifrost 2 still hold, i.e. Gumby being more neutral, better bass texture and wider soundstage, or does the 64 upgrade bring it closer to Gumby?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #3,341 of 4,957
but instrument separation is more defined. I can hear where bass notes begin and end where I normally can't (if that makes any sense). Drums sound HUGE now.
This has been my experience so far. Every piece of the drum kit are in distinct spot. Makes listening to Tool and jazz a delight. Listen to the song One Word by Mahavishnu Orchestra and enjoy my favorite drum solo.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #3,342 of 4,957
Currently listening to this Roon created electronic music playlist at club level SPL with BF2 on my Dan Clark Aeon Open X (no filter, no EQ). I'm thoroughly impressed with the lack of digital sound etch/fatigue without sacrificing transients or sounding blurred/smeared on the edges whereas listening to this on AKM 4499 delta sigma DAP would give me an uneasy feeling after some few minutes of loud listening sessions

Capture.jpg

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #3,343 of 4,957
Btw … I never got a SD card with my Bifrost …
Give the package another look. Schiit is pretty consistent, at being consistent.

My SD card was in a
card case (translucent)

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #3,344 of 4,957
Full review of 2/64 is up. Lots of ground to cover. Use timestamps to watch parts relevant to you:

Enjoy!

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3,345 of 4,957
I think you’re pointing out the prevailing trend in audio.
Not everything, including for myself, changes in a product that it’s more than satisfactory, is a step forward or a positive addition to one’s system.
What works for one person doesn’t work for another.
If this wasn’t the case there wouldn’t be so many alternatives available on the free market.
I love Schiit products, but some times it becomes on “us against them” type of proposal.
Definitely isn’t helpful in real life nor is it in audio.
Jason and Mike have a great company-
It’s a great story and the proof is in the products -but they certainly don’t rule my audio system, or my choices.
You’re not obligated to like everything they do-it doesn’t have to change your appreciation of the company, products or its founders.
There’s lots of good information, but as it was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago you have to figure out what’s good for yourself, in your system, By relying on your own personal experiences.. along with the helpful mix of the cool reviews here.
I wouldn’t worry about the upgrade if it doesn’t work you can easily sell the board.
But please fill us in on your comparisons because all that information is great and helpful To build a database of sorts other people can use going foward.
I can't say anything about Bifrost 2 and 2/64 because I decided to buy Bifrost 2/64 based on the reviews. I needed a DAC for my BURSON Soloist and based on the reviews I decided to buy a Schiit 2/64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back