Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #2,491 of 4,957
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,493 of 4,957
Received my BF2 today and couldn't be happier so far getting to listen this evening. Can't wait to get the Jot 2 whenever it finally ships.
Very nice! Glad you're enjoying. What dac(s) are you coming from? (apologies if that's been answered...long thread)

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,494 of 4,957
Very nice! Glad you're enjoying. What dac(s) are you coming from? (apologies if that's been answered...long thread)
I had a JDS element II for a bit and then had bounced between a Quad Vena, NAD D 3045 and Yamaha WXA50 integrated amps in my setups before deciding to go with active speakers. This is my first real separate DAC( I guess I also had creative sound blaster cards over the years also)

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,495 of 4,957
My real desire was to buy the Bifrost 2 after the end of October, and I saw the delivery dates were "4 to 6 weeks" (or something like that, maybe 2 to 4), so I figured, "order it now" ... so I ordered it yesterday. But then I got an email last night, ... it will arrive on Monday, the 25th, FedEx says.

No big problem, even good news, in a way. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,496 of 4,957
similar for me, website said 4-6 weeks when i ordered on Fri Oct 15 and it was shipped next day and arrived on Mon Oct 18

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,498 of 4,957
similar for me, website said 4-6 weeks when i ordered on Fri Oct 15 and it was shipped next day and arrived on Mon Oct 18
I ordered my Bifrost 2 early Jan. /21. Listed as back ordered, with several weeks wait. Yea, get my order in the queue! Shipped within the week.

My speculation (not really, it's the way any mail order/internet business works). Schiit receives many orders, from all parts of the world. The computer generated delivery estimate is based on all incoming orders in the queue being genuine. It's also a sales gimmick. "You can't buy X product at any price... it's unavailable. Better get that order in... first come, first served."

Secondary inspection, of methods of payment, delivery addresses, etc., probably knocks out many orders. A valid order moves up rapidly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #2,499 of 4,957
Well, it arrived fine, and it works fine. :) I am happy that I got it. At least now I can really participate in the conversation. :)

Attachments

• bifrost2a.jpg
    bifrost2a.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #2,500 of 4,957
Since when did not owning a piece of gear prevent an audiophile from having an opinion about it?

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #2,504 of 4,957
Well, start by telling us how it compares to Modi 3+ so far!
Part of me is reluctant to quantify it, but yet numbers are so much more precise than words. With hesitation, after less than one day, not too sure, I would say that 4 to 6 percent of what the Modi 3+ renders as "mush", a mush of noise, is rendered as "detail" by the Bifrost 2.

Obviously, the Modi 3+ is the bargain, and the Bifrost 2 is the better performing DAC.

Maybe the dynamic range (the ability to jump from soft to loud) is better from the Bifrost 2 than from the Modi 3+.

To really do this right, one needs an A/B switch, then the differences are easier to hear. Our memories of sound quality are weak. And I don't have an A/B switch, and I don't want to get one. But, as the Modi 3+ did when it arrived, the Bifrost 2 is giving me moments when I hear new details that I didn't hear with the Modi 3+. Not constantly, but from time to time.

The Bifrost 2 is better, but the Modi 3+ is not a bad DAC.

I am testing with a Lyr 3 and Sennheiser HD660S headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,505 of 4,957
For a hundred bucks the Modi 3 is a bargain. In my opinion the Modius is much better for a hundred more. The Mimby is still my favorite. I was going to order a Bifrost 2 for my birthday last week but saw the wait list and didn't do it. I'm thinking about the Ares II but I own and have owned a lot of Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back