Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,507 of 4,957
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,508 of 4,957
Anyone that owned the Modius that upgraded to BF2 willing to share their thoughts? Few months ago I told myself I wouldn't go crazy on $$$ for a DAC yet here I am curious

Well worth the money. I did not think a DAC would make such a noticeable difference, but then I had never heard the BF2 nor a multibit DAC before. My main reason for getting a Modius in the first place was primarily form factor and also because I too had sticker shock at the Bifrost price :laughing:. I have followed the conventional wisdom of headphones > amp > DAC > everything else including power > cables as far as order of importance, and while I still think that's mostly true, being that I stream exclusively from my PC using Amazon Music HD I think the DAC is worth some extra consideration, doing the heavy lifting and all. Looking back I either should have bought a Modi 3+ instead of Modius, or just gone right for BF2.

No ragrats.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #2,509 of 4,957
Well worth the money. I did not think a DAC would make such a noticeable difference, but then I had never heard the BF2 nor a multibit DAC before. My main reason for getting a Modius in the first place was primarily form factor and also because I too had sticker shock at the Bifrost price :laughing:. I have followed the conventional wisdom of headphones > amp > DAC > everything else including power > cables as far as order of importance, and while I still think that's mostly true, being that I stream exclusively from my PC using Amazon Music HD I think the DAC is worth some extra consideration, doing the heavy lifting and all. Looking back I either should have bought a Modi 3+ instead of Modius, or just gone right for BF2.

No ragrats.
Crap, not what my wallet wanted to hear haha. Thanks for the info. I've been in the hobby about a year and a half and have gone through a fairly quick transition from heresy/modi3+ -> magnius/modius -> singxer/modius. Love my lcd2's so luckily no burning itch for new headphones yet. BF2 was on the radar but it always seemed like a stretch. I've gone through several reviews and have read what others experiences are with this DAC and by all accounts it seems like a winner. Might bite the bullet and just be "done" with the upgradeitis.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,510 of 4,957
Crap, not what my wallet wanted to hear haha. Thanks for the info. I've been in the hobby about a year and a half and have gone through a fairly quick transition from heresy/modi3+ -> magnius/modius -> singxer/modius. Love my lcd2's so luckily no burning itch for new headphones yet. BF2 was on the radar but it always seemed like a stretch. I've gone through several reviews and have read what others experiences are with this DAC and by all accounts it seems like a winner. Might bite the bullet and just be "done" with the upgradeitis.
I went from the Mac usb---> Schiit WYRD (USB "De-Crapifier")--->Modi Multi Bit (Balanced)---> Freya+ ---> active speakers.
SOLD ALL THE Schiit, because of the COVID Economy - had to make rent. Regretted the sale, got my $hit back together and bought some better Schiit along the way:
The BiFrost2 --->(new replacement) Freya+--->(same old CHI-FI Swann M300) Active speakers....and its completely worth it!
If you can utilize the balanced outs on the Bifrost2 do that!
Is too late for you, you are already wondering about the Bifrost2, now NEED to know. Don't worry its a proper and in this world, modest step up.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #2,511 of 4,957
Just got my Bifrost 2 today, 2 weeks total to arrive from order. Actually my 3rd time comparing to D90 & D90se, I still think they sound similar "enough" in many ways. Definitely not a upgrade from the Topping D90, but I would recommend the bifrost over the D90 unless you only listen to electronic music.
The D90 does have some more sub-bass if you have the right headphones (Arya shows you it more than the HE6se for example). But the presentation of the Bifrost is just enjoyable & smooth, voices very natural & true, without the treble glare in cymabls or picky quality source issues (although that bass [punch] boost is something i'm still adjusting to).

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,513 of 4,957
I have a Bifrost 2 I was using on my computer set up and I recently purchased a Sonnet Morpheus Dac/ Preamp for my main rig in the living room. I boxed up and traded my Burson conductor 3 ref dac/amp/preamp in on it. So temporarily I moved my Bifrost 2 to the Burson Ha-160 headphone amp ( sounds more analog like and musical than the newer burson Conductor 3 Ref as a headphone amp) in my main rig main rig and warmed it up for 24 hours. Listened yesterday to it and I have to say the Bifrost 2 hits way above its price in performance. It sounds wonderfully musical has pretty respectable weight and tonality while it might not be the detail master the Burson conductor 3 ref is the Bifrost 2 is a very engaging listen. It has a really nicely balanced musicality to it that makes for engagingly long listening sessions. It is pretty dynamic as well. I have received my Sonnet Moropheus dac but the Bifrost 2 is so engaging I am still enjoying it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,514 of 4,957
Just got my Bifrost 2 today, 2 weeks total to arrive from order. Actually my 3rd time comparing to D90 & D90se, I still think they sound similar "enough" in many ways. Definitely not a upgrade from the Topping D90, but I would recommend the bifrost over the D90 unless you only listen to electronic music.
The D90 does have some more sub-bass if you have the right headphones (Arya shows you it more than the HE6se for example). But the presentation of the Bifrost is just enjoyable & smooth, voices very natural & true, without the treble glare in cymabls or picky quality source issues (although that bass [punch] boost is something i'm still adjusting to).
I agree with you completely, I have the BF2 and RME ADI-2 FS. The differences are minor, but for "certain" songs I like the BF2 just slightly more, especially vocal / jazz. For popular pop songs, I cannot tell the difference too much. But, if I were to ask again, I would still buy the BF2, having 2DACs > 1DAC

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,516 of 4,957
I have been enjoying the bifrost 2 in my main rig for a few days. I tried a couple of different isolation feet under it yesterday but I found some of the magic that made the listening so engaging seemed to vanish. Most of the time isolation feet do have a positive effect on the sound but at least in my set up the use of isolation feet seemed to detract from the engagingly musical production of the Bifrost 2. I just bought the sonnet digital Morpheus dac. After hearing how engaging the Bifrost 2 is maybe I should have considered the big boy Schiit dac.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,517 of 4,957
I have been enjoying the bifrost 2 in my main rig for a few days. I tried a couple of different isolation feet under it yesterday but I found some of the magic that made the listening so engaging seemed to vanish. Most of the time isolation feet do have a positive effect on the sound but at least in my set up the use of isolation feet seemed to detract from the engagingly musical production of the Bifrost 2. I just bought the sonnet digital Morpheus dac. After hearing how engaging the Bifrost 2 is maybe I should have considered the big boy Schiit dac.
If you think isolation feet make a difference, wait until you start swapping USB cables. I have found they have a significant effect on the sound of the Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,518 of 4,957
If you think isolation feet make a difference, wait until you start swapping USB cables. I have found they have a significant effect on the sound of the Bifrost 2.

Don't get me curious about swapping cables. I don't want to end up paying $100 or more for a cable.

Also I feel like I have asked this before. Maybe I did somewhere else. But has anyone here compared the Bifrost II with the Denafrips Ares II?

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,519 of 4,957
I finally decided to put my Feet/Spikes on the right way and put it where I "think" might be their permanent home, This week at least :smile: !
After all it's not like I can't take them off and put other/or the original feet back on.

Here's a couple pics for those that might be thinking about these.

Bifrost feet Dark.jpg

Bifrost Feet Light.jpg

Cheers :beerchug:

That is quite the awesome looking stack. Do you think the component separation helps with heat? My BF2 gets quite warm. It's stacked under a Valhalla II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back