Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,536 of 4,938
I have a Bifrost 2 I was using on my computer set up and I recently purchased a Sonnet Morpheus Dac/ Preamp for my main rig in the living room. I boxed up and traded my Burson conductor 3 ref dac/amp/preamp in on it. So temporarily I moved my Bifrost 2 to the Burson Ha-160 headphone amp ( sounds more analog like and musical than the newer burson Conductor 3 Ref as a headphone amp) in my main rig main rig and warmed it up for 24 hours. Listened yesterday to it and I have to say the Bifrost 2 hits way above its price in performance. It sounds wonderfully musical has pretty respectable weight and tonality while it might not be the detail master the Burson conductor 3 ref is the Bifrost 2 is a very engaging listen. It has a really nicely balanced musicality to it that makes for engagingly long listening sessions. It is pretty dynamic as well. I have received my Sonnet Moropheus dac but the Bifrost 2 is so engaging I am still enjoying it.
I just bought the BF2 to serve as dac in my rig with a modded Burson HA-160ds: the internal dac is bypassed which essentially makes it a ha-160. I am upgrading from the IFI Hip Dac which I definitely enjoyed due to its warm tonality but I was longing for the real deal...

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #2,537 of 4,938
I just bought the BF2 to serve as dac in my rig with a modded Burson HA-160ds: the internal dac is bypassed which essentially makes it a ha-160. I am upgrading from the IFI Hip Dac which I definitely enjoyed due to its warm tonality but I was longing for the real deal...
I do not know if you are into audiophile fuses but if you have the stock fuse in the 160 you might try upgrading it. I have on my ha-160 and I got a pretty nice improvement in the sound quality. I used a hifi tuning supreme fuse in mine and I like the results very much. Much quieter for one and much better sound. The hifi tuning fuses are directional so make sure you install it correctly.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,538 of 4,938
I prefer the sonic enhancing benefits of Tequila over fuses. 😏

**I have Hifi tuning in my Lyr3 and VH2.
Link for the appropriate fuses for BF2, please. 😄

20211203_182122.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,539 of 4,938
I do not know if you are into audiophile fuses but if you have the stock fuse in the 160 you might try upgrading it. I have on my ha-160 and I got a pretty nice improvement in the sound quality. I used a hifi tuning supreme fuse in mine and I like the results very much. Much quieter for one and much better sound. The hifi tuning fuses are directional so make sure you install it correctly.
Thanks! How on earth is this done?

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,540 of 4,938
After reading through this thread for a while I was persuaded into purchasing a BF2. I can officially say that after a few weeks of taking it all in, I can now see the hype.

No disrespect but my Modius feels like a paper weight now lol I had no idea that the BF2 was going to be able to go punch for punch with the Modius when it came to performance per dollar. Worth every penny :L3000:

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,541 of 4,938
I'm looking for a DAC to pair with 2021 LCD-X. I will be using it through a Burson Soloist amp.
I was thinking about the Bifrost 2. I have heard it has good depth to soundstage which the LCD-X may not be the strongest at, so i thought it could help balance it a bit?
I primarily listen to EDM with lots of deep textured bass and impacts. I listen to a bit obscure edm that has lots of detailed and fast stuff going on at once panning around the place which i thought bifrost could be strong at imaging wise, as i think i would really appreciate having a more 3d presentation, but i also really value that weight to bass, the impact and depth, and i felt that perhaps if the stage was deeper, i could lose some of that due to things being 'further away'?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #2,542 of 4,938
I'm looking for a DAC to pair with 2021 LCD-X. I will be using it through a Burson Soloist amp.
I was thinking about the Bifrost 2. I have heard it has good depth to soundstage which the LCD-X may not be the strongest at, so i thought it could help balance it a bit?
I primarily listen to EDM with lots of deep textured bass and impacts. I listen to a bit obscure edm that has lots of stuff going on at once panning around the place which i thought bifrost could be strong at, but i also really value that weight to bass, the impact and depth, and i felt that perhaps if the stage was deeper, i could lose some of that due to things being 'further away'?

Thoughts?
Bifrost 2 is a great choice, it is known for having a slightly warm punchy presentation, which I can tell you subjectively pairs very well with that kind of music.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #2,544 of 4,938
In my research one thing I keep coming back to with the Bifrost 2 is that some people feel it might be a bit 'slow' with transients? One of the reasons i really liked the Audeze LCD's when I auditioned them was their fast transients. Can anyone comment on this?

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,545 of 4,938
I think my Bifrost2/LYR3 combo just blew up my Campfire Altas. It powered off with a pop, and now the headphones will not make any sound. So upset

It was the power strip switch, so both the LYR3 and Bifrost came down and went back on simultaneously. Not sure if the damage happened when going on or off. I should also mention that the LYR3 always has a little pop when powering up about a few seconds after turning it on when the tube kicks in.
I finally got around to sending the ATLAS back to Campfire, and they replaced them with new Headphones. What a fantastic company!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,546 of 4,938
Also, I played around with a couple of other tubes, and the turn-on pop is always there; it's small, but I do hear the amp click on after the tube warms up.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,547 of 4,938
Also, I played around with a couple of other tubes, and the turn-on pop is always there; it's small, but I do hear the amp click on after the tube warms up.
The audible click (from the amp itself) is the muting relay connecting the output of the amp to the headphone jack/pre outs. When the power goes on it waits for the tube stage to stabilise before connecting the output to headphone jack. When power goes off the relay disconnects the output immediately. The muting relay may also disconnect while the amp is on if there’s a DC offset detected.

The Bifrost2 also has a muting relay, as do all their amps and DACs, even the DAC cards internal to Jot/Lyr/Asgard (don’t know about the DAC/amp combos though, like Fulla and Hel, but I don’t think they have one). On the Bifrost2 DAC and up, the relay also clicks/mutes the output when the sample rate changes on the input.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,548 of 4,938
The audible click (from the amp itself) is the muting relay connecting the output of the amp to the headphone jack/pre outs. When the power goes on it waits for the tube stage to stabilise before connecting the output to headphone jack. When power goes off the relay disconnects the output immediately. The muting relay may also disconnect while the amp is on if there’s a DC offset detected.

The Bifrost2 also has a muting relay, as do all their amps and DACs, even the DAC cards internal to Jot/Lyr/Asgard (don’t know about the DAC/amp combos though, like Fulla and Hel, but I don’t think they have one). On the Bifrost2 DAC and up, the relay also clicks/mutes the output when the sample rate changes on the input.
Thanks for the info; great to know!

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #2,549 of 4,938
Thanks for the info; great to know!
If I am reading your story correctly, you have both Lyr3 and BF2 plugged into a power strip and you are using the power strip main on/off button to turn on and off your gear, is probably not a good idea. To me that's like your gear is on while you suddenly turn everything off that is plugged into the power strip with the main switch, that's like losing electric power during a blackout.

I am not an electrician or audio expert, but I would rather individually turn on/off each gear via its own power switch so that it comes down or up as intended. Even though these headphone electronics are low powered equipment compared to home stereo, probably not good idea to power all thngs On at the same time or Off at the same time. Based on my home stereo experience, I always turn stuff on and off one at a time.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,550 of 4,938
If I am reading your story correctly, you have both Lyr3 and BF2 plugged into a power strip and you are using the power strip main on/off button to turn on and off your gear, is probably not a good idea. To me that's like your gear is on while you suddenly turn everything off that is plugged into the power strip with the main switch, that's like losing electric power during a blackout.

I am not an electrician or audio expert, but I would rather individually turn on/off each gear via its own power switch so that it comes down or up as intended. Even though these headphone electronics are low powered equipment compared to home stereo, probably not good idea to power all thngs On at the same time or Off at the same time. Based on my home stereo experience, I always turn stuff on and off one at a time.
No, it was an accident; the switch got stepped on and flickered. I usually leave the BF2 on 24/7 and power off the LYR3 when not in use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back