Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,201 of 4,971
Or maybe some do and prefer not to say... :wink:

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,202 of 4,971
I have the same motherboard for my HTPC. What is your conclusion?

I prefer the Unison input over the Eitr to Coax input personally.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #1,203 of 4,971
How does the bifrost 2 compare to the yggdrasil soundwise?

Ive seen reviews that call the BF2 a mini yggy with very comparable sound... Especially single ended... More similar to the yggy than to the gugnir in sound.

Torq says that if a Dave fed by mscaler is 100,, the yggy is a 98 and the BF2 is a 95/96, if I remember correctly. He says the BF1 is about a 90 on the same scale.

Both make his top 10 list, even compared to 5 figure dacs... Pretty high praise.

Another comparison I've seen also describes them as very similar with the differences being subtle... The example used being the BF2 is like a single high definition screen and the yggy being multiple smaller panels assembled together - making it slightly easier to identify the individual 'space' of each instrument, whereas the BF2 provides a little more blended sound - but overall tone and presentation almost the same.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,204 of 4,971
How does the bifrost 2 compare to the yggdrasil soundwise?
One could say they have the same Sound signature, while the Yggdrasil offers more detail and refinement.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,205 of 4,971
Ive seen reviews that call the BF2 a mini yggy with very comparable sound... Especially single ended... More similar to the yggy than to the gugnir in sound.

Yep. Gungnir MB A2 is a lot leaner in the mid-bass with a slightly more expanded staging in terms of depth than BF2 or maybe Yggdrasil A2 (I do need to A/B the Yggdrasil A2 and GMB A2 again to know the staging difference more clearly hence the maybe). From my listening experience you would need to hunt a limited and careful chain after the GMB A2 to maximize its potential while BF2 and Yggdrasil A2 are pretty much play along really well with many amps and transducers out there.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #1,206 of 4,971
I’ve been listening to my new BF2 every night for two weeks. Love it. So engaging. I can’t really compare it to anything in its class since the only DACs I really know are the DragonFly Red and my now-deceased Modi 2, but it is definitely another league from those. I will say that it needed about 48 hours of burn in to reach it’s potential. Fresh out of the box (I know, I know) I listened for a few minutes and was feeling buyers’ remorse. Left it on for two days and decided to run through my test tracks... when I realized I just...couldn’t...stop...listening... That first night was at the pinnacle of my experiences with recorded music. I’ve been elated every time I get to play with my system!

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,207 of 4,971
I’ve been listening to my new BF2 every night for two weeks. Love it. So engaging. I can’t really compare it to anything in its class since the only DACs I really know are the DragonFly Red and my now-deceased Modi 2, but it is definitely another league from those. I will say that it needed about 48 hours of burn in to reach it’s potential. Fresh out of the box (I know, I know) I listened for a few minutes and was feeling buyers’ remorse. Left it on for two days and decided to run through my test tracks... when I realized I just...couldn’t...stop...listening... That first night was at the pinnacle of my experiences with recorded music. I’ve been elated every time I get to play with my system!

I think I felt similar to you. Maybe not buyer's remorse, but a slight feeling of it not exceeding the expectations of what I thought it would do for SQ (it's my first serious DAC). However, after having it for a week, I can't get enough of it. I think the sound is addicting and I find myself trying to sneak in chances to listen to my system. It's really amazing how great the Bifrost is.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,208 of 4,971
I think I felt similar to you. Maybe not buyer's remorse, but a slight feeling of it not exceeding the expectations of what I thought it would do for SQ (it's my first serious DAC). However, after having it for a week, I can't get enough of it. I think the sound is addicting and I find myself trying to sneak in chances to listen to my system. It's really amazing how great the Bifrost is.
Yeah, I feel the same the same as you folks. I just got mine 48 hours ago, but I don't have 48 hours of playing time on it yet. I noticed the abundant detail from the get-go though. At first it seemed a little rough in the upper mids and slightly too much in the mid-bass. It is getting a little better now. How long will this take to fully break in?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,209 of 4,971
Yeah, I feel the same the same as you folks. I just got mine 48 hours ago, but I don't have 48 hourds of playing time on it yet. I noticed the abundant detail from the get-go though. At first it seemed a little rough in the upper mids and slightly too much in the mid-bass. It is getting a little better now. How long will this take to fully break in?

I probably have about 20ish hours on it. Also might come down to what headphones you're running on it. The BF2 has upped the game of my Grados tremendously (as well as my other headphones of course). I'm really happy with it.

Jul 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #1,210 of 4,971
Yeah, I feel the same the same as you folks. I just got mine 48 hours ago, but I don't have 48 hours of playing time on it yet. I noticed the abundant detail from the get-go though. At first it seemed a little rough in the upper mids and slightly too much in the mid-bass. It is getting a little better now. How long will this take to fully break in?
I left it on for 48 hours to break it in...but then it was liquid magic

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,211 of 4,971
Hi All, sorry for the slightly off-topic, noob question, but this is where people who know their Bifrost hang out.... Can anyone identify this Bifrost? It is clearly pre-2, but then I'm lost. The stickers indicate USB5 and 4490, but other versions of this combo I've found all have a more extended description directly on the metal chasis (where is says "Upgradeable, Discrete,...etc." Still, I thought 4490 was the latest chip used in Bifrost1, but the product model is sch-04 not 04E. Anyway... I can't find anywhere a geneology of Bifrosts, so I wonder if any of you can help. Do you know what year span this would be? What it's relation to uber? Sorry, noob trying to figure things out...

yes.jpg

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,212 of 4,971
Hi All, sorry for the slightly off-topic, noob question, but this is where people who know their Bifrost hang out.... Can anyone identify this Bifrost? It is clearly pre-2, but then I'm lost. The stickers indicate USB5 and 4490, but other versions of this combo I've found all have a more extended description directly on the metal chasis (where is says "Upgradeable, Discrete,...etc." Still, I thought 4490 was the latest chip used in Bifrost1, but the product model is sch-04 not 04E. Anyway... I can't find anywhere a geneology of Bifrosts, so I wonder if any of you can help. Do you know what year span this would be? What it's relation to uber? Sorry, noob trying to figure things out...

yes.jpg

Looks just like the back of my late model Bifrost 4490, although yours has a slightly later SN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back