Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #887 of 4,957
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #888 of 4,957
BTW -- if you have not tried Fidelizer, give it a try. It really could be DPC latency causing the clicks/pops. https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

I tried this and set for "consumer" since this is a work computer. I'm still hearing intermittent clicks/pops during almost every track.

I'm pretty close to returning for a refund and looking for another DAC. I've had 3 other DACs hooked up to this laptop with no issues.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #889 of 4,957
I contacted Schiit a couple of weeks ago for guidance on which DAC would best fit my use case and chain. Important to note, I made it clear that my source was AmazonHD via Windows 10 USB port. I ordered the B2 after a couple of emails and a lot of research here.

I am getting regular clicks, pops, crackling in my headphones while music is playing. This is NOT the B2 clicking when the sample rate changes from track to track. That click distinctly comes from the Bifrost, this is in my headphones. It sounds like an old record that hasn't been cleaned.

I thought this was a sample rate issue at first because there seemed to be less noise when I set Windows to16/48 than 24/48 or 24/192. But changing the sample rate didn't completely eliminate it.

I researched this and found some info that it may be system sounds and other devices interfering with the music. I routed all other devices to my internal speakers, with AmazonHD only routed to the Bifrost. I even went so far as to mute system sounds. I still get noise in my headphones, though much improved like I cleaned the record.

I emailed Schiit yesterday and got this response, "Amazon wrote their drivers like idiots and the sample rate defers to the computer drivers, so they do not 'set' themselves automatically. This means that anytime you want to play an amazon track of a different sample rate than a previous one, you have to go into the windows sound settings and change the bitrate and sample rate to whatever that particular track is natively."

I confirmed that the sample rate is changing for each track by clicking the “HD” or “Ultra HD” icon next to the song title. It shows the native sample rate for the current track, the max sample rate for the Bifrost, and the ”playing at” sample rate for the track. The native and ”playing at” rates always change together and are always the same. All tracks show B2 capability as 24/192, and all tracks play at their native rate of 16/44, 24/48, or 24/192.

My response to Schiit was, "Let’s say you are correct that this is a sample rate issue in Amazon HD. In my very first email inquiring about the Yggdrasil, Gungnir, or Bifrost, I was very clear that my ONLY source is streaming AmazonHD. If there is a known issue with popping because of AmazonHD sample rates, why would you not tell me from the start instead of recommending the Bifrost???"

Does anyone have suggestions on how to eliminate this noise in my headphones? I don't get it with any other DAC.

Thanks in advance.

Please let me know who answered your inquiry. We should not be calling other companies idiots. Also, contact orders@schiit.com and have them swap the Bifrost just in case.

Hi sir,
The problem persists, sometimes the three LEDs flash together and the music is stopped. I have to turn off the device and turn it back on.

Sounds like the update didn't work, because after the update, Bifrost 2 cannot triple flash. You do need an SD card with the formatting specified, in the size range specified. If we didn't send you a formatted SD card with the new firmware on it, contact orders@schiit.com and have us send you one. When updating, the LEDs will flash in a totally different sequence, like this:

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #890 of 4,957
Honestly, I think there are some minor compatability issues with the Unison USB. My Xduoo x10TII (digital turntable) struggled with it, and had similar issues, as did my Cayin N5ii. My Euphony server does occasionally have an issue as well, I think when switching file formats, where it gives me piercing static until I unplug and replug in the USB cable. I love the sound of the Bifrost 2, but it stands to reason that a new USB receiver like this might hit some compatibility issues here and there.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #891 of 4,957
Honestly, I think there are some minor compatability issues with the Unison USB. My Xduoo x10TII (digital turntable) struggled with it, and had similar issues, as did my Cayin N5ii. My Euphony server does occasionally have an issue as well, I think when switching file formats, where it gives me piercing static until I unplug and replug in the USB cable. I love the sound of the Bifrost 2, but it stands to reason that a new USB receiver like this might hit some compatibility issues here and there.

Please contact us and let us know which platforms you are having trouble with. Although we tested extensively with Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, and ensured that most of the popular streaming hardware is covered, as well as ensuring Room compatibility, we'd be interested to see where things are stumbling.

One important point: Unison USB will require some power to run the receiver side, so if the device can't provide 100mA reliably (the limit for iOS devices), it may have problems.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #892 of 4,957
I tried this and set for "consumer" since this is a work computer. I'm still hearing intermittent clicks/pops during almost every track.

I'm pretty close to returning for a refund and looking for another DAC. I've had 3 other DACs hooked up to this laptop with no issues.

Well, you can check that off the list as possible issues, then.

Looks like Jason posted up about a return, so hopefully you'll give it another try. Bifrost 2 really is a stellar DAC and to give-up w/o trying a new replacement unit first would be a real shame, IMHO. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #893 of 4,957
Please contact us and let us know which platforms you are having trouble with. Although we tested extensively with Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, and ensured that most of the popular streaming hardware is covered, as well as ensuring Room compatibility, we'd be interested to see where things are stumbling.

One important point: Unison USB will require some power to run the receiver side, so if the device can't provide 100mA reliably (the limit for iOS devices), it may have problems.

Removed

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #894 of 4,957
Hey Jason any idea when the Bifrost 2 is going to be available again. I ordered and the site still says will ship 4-23 but after text to confirm was told yall are waiting for parts and no firm date can be given.

Best to ask orders@schiit.com

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #900 of 4,957
The only complaint I really have is that they post for the last two weeks that they will ship on 4-23. It also still says that on their site. I went ahead and ordered it and then they tell me in a text waiting for parts and it may be a few weeks. If that is the case then change the site so we don't expect it . I still will wait for it but it is a little frustrating. I guess the isolation of the virus has some of us impatient, LOL.

Removed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back